Titanic 1/350 MiniCraft Kit build

Trial and error:

I didn't like the kit details for the docking bridge. So I gave a try at scratch building the engine room telegraghs and I think it is a binnacle. I made the bodies of the telegraphs from brass rod. The ends were punched out of thin styrene sheet and painted MM Acyrl brass. The levers were made from scrap PE railing. I can't count the number of times these things jumped out from between my tweezers and I had to go hunting for them. and in the end, all for naught.titanic 420.JPG

When I added them to the bridge they just didn't look right. Way too large.
titanic 420-a.JPG

So back to the drawing board. These are much smaller and simpler. I made these telegraphs from Evergreen styrene rods. The piece on the left is one of the original kit telegraphs. I decided it looked better as the (call box?) behind the ships wheel

titanic 417.JPG

when I started looking at how to do the posts on the underneath side of the bridge I decided it made more sense to do them in one continuous pieces. I scrapped the short posts above and drilled holes in the bridge to accommodate the full length posts.
titanic 418.JPG

I removed the telegraphs and ships wheel from the short posts and re-added them to the new posts. I enclosed the stairway because I saw that "Art" did that on his build. the original location for the kit stairway was a couple of feet to starboard. I moved it to line up with the rectangular deck support. That places the bottom of the steps too close to the capstan. not sure what is out of place but it is what it is.

titanic 419.JPG

Compass platform with kit binnacle. I added the little spheres to either side. I think this is also way too large but not so obvious as the stuff on the docking bridge. The spheres on the binnacles are water softener resin beads. I saved some of it when I installed a new water softener - don't ask me why! But I finally found a use for it!

titanic 421.JPG

Last edited:
had to scratch build these buildings. The instructions made no reference to them at all! The picture on the box shows wenches in these locations. I saw buildings on other build sites so that is what I did also.
titanic 422.JPG

Haven't been modelling for awhile, fell over a wheelbarrow full of earth and fractured a vertebrae in my back. Your model is very well done!
Ouch! Hope you get to feeling better. I fall down a lot but I guess I bounce pretty good. No injuries so far

I started the boat davits the other night. After about an hour of trying to glue just the first few pieces together only to have 2 of them fall off later I promptly placed an order for the GMM 350-19 davit set!
life is too short to to deal with this aggravation.

They say you get what you pay for but in the case of these davits you don't. ~$18 wasted

titanic 423.JPG

Last edited:
I received my GMM boat davits from VCShobbies. They actually arrived 3 days early. That was nice surprise. These are in my opinion much superior to what I was trying to use before. I still have to grind out 20+ of these things!

titanic 424.JPG

The GMM davits look much better. For my build I think I'll still have to order the Tom's Modelwoks davits to get the Lifeboat ropes even if I use the GMM davits.

The GMM davits look much better. For my build I think I'll still have to order the Tom's Modelwoks davits to get the Lifeboat ropes even if I use the GMM davits.
you might want to read Art Braunschweiger's comments about the lifeboat ropes. I DID use them on mine however. Seems there were some other pieces I used from that set.

Back