USS Arizona Memorial model - Revell 1/426 USS Arizona, Shapeways Memorial - by SigEp Ziggy

Happy Birthday, Ziggy! Wishing you health and happiness, and many more years to come! Birthday-Cake

Back in 77, while working temporary duty to the island, I got to visit the memorial.

Lots of interesting facts learned about the ship and memorial.

Few people know the ship is still considered on active duty, with permanent crew onboard.

I was surprised to hear the flag seen is actually flow from the ship itself, not from the memorial building.

Here in Oklahoma, they recently had burial service for a sailor who was KIA, but unidentified until last year, they moved his remains back home after DNA helped identify him.

Having sailed to Pearl Harbor and visited the Arizona memorial, I have to say you're doing a splendid job. I noticed that when I was there, there were very few Americans. Almost all were Japanese tourists, many of the old ones with very solemn and respectful faces. The ship is indeed still leaking oil. I saw the rainbow sheen on the water. If any of you get to Honolulu, it's definitely worth the visit.

Well! I think I have been motivated to work on the Arizona by all the comments and shown interest. I have been juggling 10 model builds, I get to the point of painting and stop. No good place to paint.

This is what is taking all my time:

21porch.jpg
New windows, new siding, and a new porch where just three steps were before!

I've been to the memorial and your model along with the phots brings back vivid memories of the day. Its looking great and the inspiration to model the memorial says it all except I find it hard to wait for progress updates.

Are you going to use painted paper to represent the torn and folded metal for the deck and shell plating? That may be one way to get the plates thin enough for proper scale. Crumbled thin brass sheet metal may be another option.

Back