USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

141.jpg
I didn't have enough planking to plank the complete lower deck as in the kit the lower deck is not fully planked
so I had to use some of my own stock, with using the upgrades the whole of the lower deck has to be planked
so as to sit the cabins in place,

142.jpg
another view,

143.jpg
and this is how the cabins will look when attached, I was frightened the decking was going to look a little bit on
the white side, but I think it makes a nice contrast with the cabins and shot locker,

144.jpg
another view,

145.jpg
and a look underneath,

146.jpg
one side finished,

150.jpg
Now round to other end and building the hatch that gives access to the hold,

151.jpg
So this is the situation at the moment, all the planking on both lower decks finished, next up will be some more
side planking and then the I will have to attach the cabins,

153.jpg
a view with the cabins just sitting in place,

Great progress - very good work - I am looking forward when I can restart my section - I need too much time with our new "family member"

Thank you Uwe, you are probably getting a lot of exercise at the moment, i know our Benji likes at least two walks a day, I look forward to when you get back to your BH section,

107.jpg

best regards john,

The problem is the fact, that she is still too small with her 10 weeks, to come with me to the workshop, otherwise I would have a chaos there.
10 weeks.jpg

Her name is Vanda, but I call her also Vandalism - looking so cute - BUT......

154.jpg
I nearly forgot the architraves around the locker windows, when I first tried gluing these
they used to stick to my fingers, so I ended up using a sharp craft knife, i pin the architrave
on the end of the blade then apply the CA glue and then carefully put it in place,

155.jpg
all done,

156.jpg
Test assembling the beams across the cabins before gluing the cabins in place, I used a thick piece of wood
across the top of the beams to make sure they were even,

157.jpg
The cabins are now glued in place, and the beams have had the char removed but have yet to be glued in place,

158.jpg
Just double checking everything before gluing, which I will do to-morrow,

160.jpg
Just a quick update,

You know when you throw a stone in a pool it causes ripples, well it also happens when you change the lower
deck planking, as I now have to cut new planks for the other decks so they will match the lower deck, luckily I
had some nice clean pine no knots, so i ripped up a new set of planks,

161.jpg
I kept to the same dimensions as provided in the kit, this is the thick and thin stuff,

162.jpg
I also cut a pile of planking as well, so I will continue to-morrow, good night all,

best regards john,

163.jpg
So I clamped a piece of wood across one end so that I could butt the planks up against it to make sure they were
all the right length, these are the first two planks of the thick stuff, not yet glued as I have to work out there exact
positions,

164.jpg
I set up my new drop saw with a jury rigged stop for cutting the planks to length, i will make up a proper work
station for it later on,

165.jpg
I worked out that I would need six planks to go between the thick stuff, then I marked the positions for the
thick stuff,

166.jpg
glued in place,

167.jpg
all the s=thick stuff glued in place,

168.jpg
I started to glue the planks up the inside of the frames, after two planks I had to install the gun port linings
I made up a rough gauge out of some scrap wood just to check both sides were the same, they seemed too high
according to the drawings, so I decided to make up the gun carriages just to check them against the ports,

169.jpg
Now these laser cut carriages came with pattern for aligning the sides of the carriages when gluing in place,

170.jpg
carriage as built, the only problem with them is this is how the axles are and they expect you to glue the trucks
( wheels ) in place with just a bit of dowel going through the truck, so I sanded the axles back down till they nearly
level with the bottom of the carriage sides, ten I glued the trucks onto some dowel and glued them onto the
bottom of the axles,

171.jpg
Cannon on one side of the lower deck, it seems OK for height through the gun port,

172.jpg
and the other side,

173.jpg
outboard view,

174.jpg
close up,

176.jpg
and a another view,

177.jpg
I stuffed up the carriage trucks on the lower deck cannon when trimming the axles back,, so I broke off the
trucks and axles and started again,I turned down a piece of Boxwood to the right diameter and drilled it
through to take the axle rod that I was going to use, so now the axles go across under the trucks,

178.jpg
the piece after turning and drilling, I then parted the trucks off on my mini saw table,

179.jpg
the trucks after attaching and painting,

180.jpg
closer view,

181.jpg
Its time to frame the lower deck gun ports, I had previously cut the ports to just under the size they should be,
so I cut three pieces of wood to the finished opening sizes to use as plugs to guide me when finishing to size,
the large piece on the right is cut just a little bit smaller as I have already fitted the lower port sill,

182.jpg
and after final cutting , shows the plug just sitting nicely through the port,

183.jpg
closer view,

184.jpg
and after framing, when framing be careful because the top and bottom sills have the same No on the wood sheet
but two of them are wider and go on the bottom sill and the other two for the top,

185.jpg
and the inside view after planking up to the next deck level,

Back