USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

I'd like to use Kyosho micro tape (black) to perform those barrels banding. there are three types fits well. No1859 (0.4mm). No1860(0.7mm)and No1841(1.0mm)View attachment 120324

Thank you YiFan for the infomation about the Micro Tape, I managed to buy some .7mm, 1mm, and 1.5mm but every where was out of stock of the .4mm,

best regards John,

I have been wondering about these barrels, they seem quite large, they measure 34mm in length and 25mm at the widest, which at 1/48 scale makes them nearly 1.8 m long and 1.2m at the widest ( six foot long and four foot at the widest ) , that seems way to big, does anybody know the maximum size of the barrels used,

best regards John,

I have been wondering about these barrels, they seem quite large, they measure 34mm in length and 25mm at the widest, which at 1/48 scale makes them nearly 1.8 m long and 1.2m at the widest ( six foot long and four foot at the widest ) , that seems way to big, does anybody know the maximum size of the barrels used,

best regards John,

You are way ahead of my build, but have made a couple of barrels while glue dries on other things. To me they look fine in the bottom of the section where as the smaller ones in the kit are tiny. Guess it comes down to what look right to the builder.

Yes they are a bit on the fiddly side, you only have approx 1.5mm each end for the overhang, I was using CA super glue to attach mine, but had varying degrees of success, its funny you should mention the ready made ones I was looking at them earlier on today and thought they would make a great back up, actually those ready made ones once they had a couple of black bands around them would look good, I will post a couple of pics of mine tomorrow,

best regards john,

Yes they are a bit on the fiddly side, you only have approx 1.5mm each end for the overhang, I was using CA super glue to attach mine, but had varying degrees of success, its funny you should mention the ready made ones I was looking at them earlier on today and thought they would make a great back up, actually those ready made ones once they had a couple of black bands around them would look good, I will post a couple of pics of mine tomorrow,

best regards john,
Good morning John, I was thinking of trying Selleys Kwik Grip contact adhesive to do mine, I'll try some today and see how that goes. Attached is a pic of a ready made barrel with the black bands done with a texta. RAC_3289.jpg

I think I've found something more boring that making oars!! Never been a fan of superglue, kudos for using it for the barrels, contact cement works well for me, but my kit did not have anything for the black bands. So I think I'll be using the ready made barrels, reckon they look better. RAC_3290.jpgRAC_3292.jpg

So I think I'll be using the ready made barrels, reckon they look better.
I really like the left barrel (from the kit) better! It is definitely worth your workmanship and deserves to be chosen. I even see it with an oil finish where individual planks will stay proud. Yea!!! As for the bands, you can make them out of black paper or Kyosho micro tape (black) :)

So what size is that ready made barrel, it must be approx 35mm x 20mm, is that right,

best regards John,

PS Iv'e got to stop adding that on every message, ;););),
Hi John

The ready made barrels I have are 30mm x 23mm, 17mm x15mm and 14mm x 12mm. I got them from here https://www.modelerscentral.com/fittings/barrels/

Jim....Thanks for you compliments, the smaller sizes of Kyosho micron tape are hard to find in Australia, a few suppliers have 1mm and bigger but they don't seem to stock the .4mm and .7mm. Can you advise a US supplier? Thanks

Regards, Ross

So what size is that ready made barrel, it must be approx 35mm x 20mm, is that right,

best regards John,

PS Iv'e got to stop adding that on every message, ;););),
I saw a garagraph in book《the 74-gun ship Vol2》,It said that the volume of tuns(the biggest barrel) is 968 liters.
That means the diameter(button) of the barrel is 3 feet and the height is about 4 feet.
Converted to 48 ratio, that is 2.7cm high and 2.0cm in diameter

Hi John

The ready made barrels I have are 30mm x 23mm, 17mm x15mm and 14mm x 12mm. I got them from here https://www.modelerscentral.com/fittings/barrels/

Jim....Thanks for you compliments, the smaller sizes of Kyosho micron tape are hard to find in Australia, a few suppliers have 1mm and bigger but they don't seem to stock the .4mm and .7mm. Can you advise a US supplier? Thanks

Regards, Ross

Ross you can get the micro tape here at Australian Hobbies, they do not have the .4mm, but they have the .7mm, 1mm and the 1.5mm,

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/kyosho-1860bk-micron-tape-7mm-x-8m-black/

I paid the $10 express post and had them in four days,

best regards john,

Back