USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

Looking fantastic John, like all your builds.

Thank you Brian, and all you guys, too numerous to mention, for all the nice comments and likes, you are a good friends, I feel guilty as I struggle to view all my friends build logs, and yet they still manage to comment and add likes to mine, you are all fantastic and a great support,

Best regards john,

They are really good, I'm still going Ross, as you said I think that I would rather make oars, it's really only the one's at the front that get seen, so I'm working on getting six good one's for the front and have the others behind, at the back of the section there are wooden gates that go across, what I plan to do is drill a hole in the back of the first barrel and a hole right through the second barrel and one into the third and put a dowel through so hopefully they will all sit right through the section,

Last edited:
252.jpg

Well that's all the big barrels done, I lost one, it jumped out of my hands when I was giving it a final sanding and
I cannot find it anywhere, the dog denies taking it, so it must be floating around behind a set of drawers or
somewhere else it will turn up when I have finished, the third one in from the left is from the other set, a wee bit
smaller,

best regards John,

253.jpg
Well that's all the barrels finished except for the reinforcing bar across the front of the barrels and a final coat
of varnish, this pic shows four of each size that I will use, there will only be four of each barrel used in the first
three rows, and up to twenty two of the large barrels in the last row,

254.jpg
another view,

255.jpg
and a view of all the barrels that will be used, they are not perfect and they are still glossy from the wet varnish,
but I am pleased with them and thanks go to Jim for encouraging me to use them,

Now for anyone who needs barrels or would like to try their hand at making them, I have some left over that I will not be making, :D:D:D,
see pics below,

1.jpg
There are enough pieces for 8 barrels on each sheet, there is a piece missing from one sheet but there are
16 barrel frames already made, so you are going to have enough parts to make 40 barrels, approx of 20mm x 13mm,

2.jpg
a closer view,

3.jpg
and you will get five sheets of staves and barrel tops top cover 40 barrels,

4.jpg
also there are four odd barrels that are a little bit fatter than the ones above,

5.jpg
a closer look, I'm not sure if there are enough staves to cover these, but you should get at least three
barrels covered, just in case I will include a sheet of slightly larger staves that you can adapt to cover
the last barrel, see pic below,

6.jpg

No cost just the postage, which in Australia $10 should cover the postage, I would have to check for oversea's, First in best dressed,

PS if you don't want 40 I can reduce the ammount and maybe two members will get some each,

Last edited:
Hi John

Any thoughts on why the multitude of small barrels are included in the kit? They don't appear in either the plans or the instruction booklet. I guess one each could be used at gun placements but other than that, where would you put them?

regards ..Ross

I don't know Ross, that's why I only bought one set of barrels, but it would have been better if they had given a few more big barrels instead of all the small one's,

Best Buy John,

Now for anyone who needs barrels or would like to try their hand at making them, I have some left over that I will not be making, :D:D:D,
see pics below,

View attachment 122316
There are enough pieces for 8 barrels on each sheet, there is a piece missing from one sheet but there are
16 barrel frames already made, so you are going to have enough parts to make 40 barrels, approx of 20mm x 13mm,

View attachment 122317
a closer view,

View attachment 122318
and you will get five sheets of staves and barrel tops top cover 40 barrels,

View attachment 122319
also there are four odd barrels that are a little bit fatter than the ones above,

View attachment 122320
a closer look, I'm not sure if there are enough staves to cover these, but you should get at least three
barrels covered, just in case I will include a sheet of slightly larger staves that you can adapt to cover
the last barrel, see pic below,

View attachment 122321

No cost just the postage, which in Australia $10 should cover the postage, I would have to check for oversea's, First in best dressed,

PS if you don't want 40 I can reduce the ammount and maybe two members will get some each,

Very generous offer - great step between friends Beer

The kit has now been sold, thank you for looking,

I have decided to sell my CAF Plank on frame kit of the La Belle 1/48 scale, I am asking 375 Australian dollars for it including postage in Australia, it is still brand new in the box, the box was only opened to check the contents, it currently sells on ebay for 650 AUD including postage, for anyone overseas I would have to get a quote for the postage, the only reason that I am selling it is that I have so many models to finish I don't think I will get around to building it, I bought it at a good price so I am passing it on, see below the link to the one on ebay, thanks for looking,

best regards John,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/La-Bell...ibs-Wood-Model-Ship-Kit-Sailboat/253111375978

Last edited:
Back