USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

186.jpg
Now I thought that I would check the fit of the beams on next two decks up, the beam on the top deck was only
just sitting on the shelf, and the beam on deck one was really short, see following pic,

187.jpg
you can see it is only just touching the shelf,

188.jpg
and the same on the other side,

189.jpg
so I mounted the hull back in the jig just to check and there still wasn't much difference, so i decided to glue
another 6x3mm strip of cherry onto the shelf that was already there, I could have tried extending the beams
a little but there are knee's to be attached and I thought this would be the best option, I had had no problems
with deck three and deck two, they fit perfect,

190.jpg
The hull in the jig for checking placement of beams,

191.jpg
So I had to glue another strip of cherry across the second piece of timber down and
the same on the other side,

192.jpg
To make things easier I trimmed the rider down so that the strip would run the full length of the section, I also
glued another strip onto the top deck shelf as well,

193.jpg
and with the both the beams now sitting nicely in place,

194.jpg
close up view, hopefully it will not look too bad when all the planking etc is in place,

195.jpg
I'm not sure what you call this part, it is the reinforcing for where the mast goes up through, anyway this
is cutting the recesses into the beams for the reinforcements to sit in, the right side has been cut and I am
marking the other side for cutting,

196.jpg
very simple procedure, a number of cuts,

197.jpg
then breaking out the cuts, and finishing off with a small rasp,

198.jpg
the finished recesses,

199.jpg
one half fitted,

200.jpg
completed,

205.jpg
I have now attached all the knee's on the No 2 deck, for some reason this pic came out a pinky colour so I
changed it to sepia,

206.jpg
see through view,

207.jpg
Just showing what it looks like with the mast in place, it is not yet glued,

208.jpg
Planking the No 2 deck, last plank to be tapered,

209.jpg
and in place,

210.jpg
gradually working my way up through the decks,

211.jpg
This is a beautiful kit to build, the only problems so far are getting the thicker parts out of their sheets of wood,
take this part above, on the top the laser has cut nicely, now see the pic below,

212.jpg
this is the underside and you can see where the laser has not come right through and also the tabs that hold the
part to the wood are quite large, the only way I could get this middle piece out was to drill holes across it and
then gently cut the rest of the wood away,

213.jpg
Firstly sorry for the black and white pics my phone is playing up and I had to change them all to B/W, I think I am
going to have to go back to using my camera again,

all thesepics are just of the mast partners being attached,

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg
The first mast was OK but this one will have to be replaced, it looks
like the puppy dog has been playing with it, but I must say all in all
the parts and quality and fit have been really good,

218.jpg
This is the new mast with the chocks attached, I find it easier to do it this way than trying to glue all the chocks
in place when the mast is in place,

220.jpg
So that's both masts in place but not yet glued, and all the planking done for this deck, still have to do the waterways

221.jpg

222.jpg
so for a bit of a change I thought I would construct the ladders, these are fiddly little suckers, I found
the best way to build them, at least for me, was to attach the first step dry by just taping it in place,

223.jpg
then to do the same at the other end, then apply a drop of CA glue to each step, making sure first that the steps
are square to the sides, I then left them to dry for awhile,

224.jpg
when dry I then positioned them over the other side and repeated the process,

225.jpg
just taped in place waiting for the CA glue,

226.jpg
I will leave these four sets till tomorrow when I will lightly sand the edges of the other steps and then glue
them in place, I still have another four sets to do,

227.jpg
so thats the ladders completed apart from a bit of a sanding,

228.jpg
another view,

229.jpg
when constructing these you have to make sure you get all of the char out of the slot, I found the best way was
with a single edged razor blade, you got to dig and lever it out,

230.jpg
this is one of the ladders that narrow from the bottom to the top,

231.jpg
and the straight ones, by straight I mean in width,

232.jpg
while waiting for the glue to dry on the ladders I started cleaning the char from the bitts, the cross bar
is not yet glued,

233.jpg
and my miniature chucks arrived today, they are really great and at only AUD 2.52 including postage
they are a great buy,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M8-Multi-Chuck-Keyless-Rotary-Tools-0-3-3-2MM-Faster-Bit-Swaps-drill-accessor-HT/113165379051?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

thanks for looking and all the likes,

best regards john,

234.jpg
I have to start making some of the items that go between the decks, like the pumps, they supply the wood in the
kit as square blanks, but you have to shape them, however the wood supplied isn't thick enough, so I had to come
up with another solution, this is what I ended up with, this is the first two being test fitted,

235.jpg
This is how they will appear when the next deck is in place, they are more than long
enough to do both hull sections, this shows the four pumps as how they will be arranged

236.jpg
close up view,

237.jpg
and a view of the tops, :eek::eek::eek::eek:,, I must apologize to the purists, I did try and get octagonal pencils, but had
to make do with hexagon shaped pencils, I can hear the screams now,

Last edited:
238.jpg
When I first bought my hull sections there wasn't any upgrades so I bought two sets of barrels, there are ten barrels
in each pack two of each size, later on when the upgrades were available I bought them as well,

239.jpg
all these parts were just a push out of the sheet,

240.jpg
The core of two of the largest barrels,

241.jpg
with the ends glued in place,

242.jpg
one stave to go,

243.jpg
and all the staves in place,

244.jpg
after one coat of golden oak varnish,

245.jpg
and this is how they supply the banding for the barrels,
it is a bit of a long winded process making them, I just might try Jeronimo's method of
turning them on the lathe, food for thought,

Hello John! You keep wonder us with the progress you made and speed you are building. Awesome build! I think, there is nothing wrong to use hexagon shaped pencils as pumps. However, I could be wrong, but they should be narrowed down towards the keel. Perhaps, I am not 100% sure about it.

What material the barrels bends are supplied?

G'day Jim, I believe that the pumps had a sort of leather washer inside just like a bicycle pump that when it was pushed up and down it caused the suction that lifted the water, so if this is right they must have been the same dimensions through out there whole length, but I could be wrong, :):mad::),
Best regards John,

View attachment 116071
This is a drawing of what you get when you buy the upgrade for the kit, you get cabins, shot locker bread oven etc,
also 50 barrels in two sizes, thanks go to Uwe for sending me the clearer drawings,

you also get some extra beams for the lower deck,

this is the front of what I call the shot locker, this shows me scribing the part so I can cut it to fit,

View attachment 116074
and the four sides glued up and sitting where they will be located, this part has to be clad with Cherry planks,
and a view from the other end,
both the lockers for the two sections glued up, I will have to clad them with the cherry planks next, I'm
hoping to be able to plank them off the model,

hello Neptune.
First of all, please forgive me for find your post so late. You done this very well,except inner structure。the
template of the kit was used for reference. You should splicing and cutting out the strips individually according to the size of the template. like this:
IMG_20171222_225749.jpgIMG_20171222_225912.jpgIMG_20171229_215401.jpgIMG_20171217_155119.jpg

hello Neptune.
First of all, please forgive me for find your post so late. You done this very well,except inner structure。the
template of the kit was used for reference. You should splicing and cutting out the strips individually according to the size of the template. like this:
View attachment 120275View attachment 120276View attachment 120277View attachment 120279

Thank you YiFan, there were no English instructions but I see what you mean now, I thought I had to clad the plywood parts, but they are only to be used as a template, well its too late now, I would'nt be able to remove them, I just hope that they do not look too bad, maybe someone else will learn from this, thank you for the information,

best regards John,

246.jpg
today I have been making the barrels from the upgrade kit, these a little bit more chunkier than the other one I
made which you can see standing on the left side,

247.jpg
a closer look,

248.jpg
there are supposed to be 25 of them I managed to make 24 and one spare center, maybe I knocked some parts
on the floor and lost them, anyway 24 will be enough, My mistake there are only supposed
to be 24, Oooops,

249.jpg
I also made up the frames for 16 of the smaller barrels, there are approx 50 of these, but I will not want that many,

Last edited:
Back