USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

88.jpg
This is a drawing of what you get when you buy the upgrade for the kit, you get cabins, shot locker bread oven etc,
also 50 barrels in two sizes, thanks go to Uwe for sending me the clearer drawings,

89.jpg
you also get some extra beams for the lower deck,

90.jpg
this is the front of what I call the shot locker, this shows me scribing the part so I can cut it to fit,

91.jpg
and the four sides glued up and sitting where they will be located, this part has to be clad with Cherry planks,

92.jpg
and a view from the other end,

93.jpg

94.jpg
both the lockers for the two sections glued up, I will have to clad them with the cherry planks next, I'm
hoping to be able to plank them off the model,

Last edited:
95.jpg
started cladding with the cherry planks, I have found that with only three faces planked I can still slip the locker
down into the lower hull, but I will have to plank the part beneath the beam with the locker glued in place,

96.jpg
a view of the back end,

97.jpg
and a view of the second locker being planked,

Last edited:
98.jpg
That's the lockers installed in both hulls, still some sanding and cleaning up to do,

99.jpg
If building the sections without the upgrades, you have to show the mast stepping on the keel, but with the
upgrades it is all hidden, unless you want to leave some of the planking off the lockers , I decided to just do
the upgrade the way it is shown, so I drilled a 2mm hole in the mast step and CA glued in a 2mm steel pin,
I will at a later stage drill a 2mm hole in the base of the mast for locating it onto the pin,

100.jpg
the back of the locker,

101.jpg
and the front after sanding and cleaning up,

102.jpg
I also decided to paint the inside parts that you can see through the openings black,

103.jpg
After cleaning up the frames I applied one coat of thinned down matt Varnish to the lower
half of the hull,

104.jpg
another view, it looks a bit glossy but will dry flat,

105.jpg
and the same for the lower insides,

106.jpg
and the two sections back to back,

107.jpg
While waiting for the varnish to dry I started assembling the bread oven, I am just adding the fire bricks to the
top of the oven,

108.jpg
and the carcasses for the cabins after assembly, these will be planked over,

116.jpg
Next up was installing the window shutters of the cabins, so to make it easy I glued two bars ( A ) across
the window openings, which you can see at the left of the pic, then I glued the recessed fixed part ( B ) onto
the two bars, the sliding part ( C ) had to be in front of the part B so I glued some more scrap onto the bars
and then glued C on top , all these parts still have to be cleaned up and sanded yet,

117.jpg
Two shutters in place,

118.jpg
and all four done, now I have to install the architraves around the openings,

119.jpg
The sheet of parts for the architraves for the doors and windows, very fragile,

120.jpg
This is the first one that i did, its going to need a little bit of filler, but should clean up OK,

121.jpg
and all four done, still have to add the doors and handles yet,

I bought another two of these small drills off ebay, got two of them for $28 Australian including postage,

IMG20191022174620.jpg
This is how they come with a set of collets and some extra bits,

IMG20191022174630.jpg
So I bought three self closing chucks for $ 7 Australian including postage, and they work just great on these drills,

129.jpg
next job is installing the lower deck beams, but first i had to do a repair, i accidentally broke off the beam,
so I had to make a new one,

130.jpg
I cut some scrap cherry wood to size and cut the rebates for the beams,

131.jpg
All the through beams in place,

132.jpg
another view,

133.jpg
and all the rest of the cross beams in place,

134.jpg
both sections as they are at the moment,

135.jpg
These are the ladders for accessing the hold, the top piece is the wood as laser marked and the bottom piece
after one side has been cut out, I used a single edged razor blade, very carefully,

136.jpg
and installed in the hull,

137.jpg
a closer view, still has to be cleaned up yet,

thank you for looking and the comments and all the likes,

best regards john,

next job is installing the lower deck beams, but first i had to do a repair, i accidentally broke off the beam,
so I had to make a new one,
This is where the scratch building starts: replacing the kit's part by fabricating a new one. The new part is better than the kit's one and it doesn't have to clean the char

Back