USS Constitution Cross Section - Model Shipways MS20245 - 1:76 - by JeffT [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just a quick post. The futtock shroud ratlines are completed and the rail on the top platform was attached. I built the rail some time ago, but I did not install it until now. I am currently working on attaching the yards and their associated rigging.
IMG_7874.jpg

The topgallant yard and rigging are installed. Similar to the royal yard with the addition of the studding sail boom rigging. I will straighten/align the yards after all rigging is in place. None of the lines have been permanently glued in place yet.

IMG_7882.jpgIMG_7883.jpg

Next up is the Bentinck shrouds that anchor the topmast shrouds. They are not shown by Marquardt in his Old Ironsides book and may have been added to the Constitution later in life. This model has diagonal (Bentinck) shrouds that pass through the main shrouds and down to the deck/bulwarks. I like the look of the Bentinck shrouds so am adding then per the instructions for the kit. The rings that the instruction used were too oversized for my liking and the ones around the shrouds that attach to the bottom of the platform just don't look like the way the actual ship looks in available pictures. The instructions have the modeler add multiple bullseyes at the point where the shrouds pass through the main shrouds. I simulated these by using CA glue to form a loop and attach five pieces to each ring along with the Bentinck shroud. Hooks were seized to extensions for attachment to the bottom of the platform.
View attachment 432575
View attachment 432576
View attachment 432577

After lashing everything together the parts seemed the be in reasonable scale and not so cumbersome. Bullseyes were use and tightened near the deck.
View attachment 432578
Good morning. Looking good Jeff. Those are really nice hooks. Did they come with the kit? For my next model I need to buy some as my hook making ability is beyond poor. Cheers Grant

Good morning. Looking good Jeff. Those are really nice hooks. Did they come with the kit? For my next model I need to buy some as my hook making ability is beyond poor. Cheers Grant
Hi, Grant. The hooks are supplied with the kit. ModelExpo is quite generous with the number of hooks that they supply. This is good since the small ones are easy to drop and loose. The hooks have to be cleaned up a bit after cutting from the group, but that is easily done with a rotary tool or file. I soak the hooks in IPA (helps get rid of handling grease), dry and drop into Brass Black to darken them before use. IMG_7914.jpg

The installed topsail yard and its rigging. I ended up adding another eyebolt to the port channel and moved the topsail port halyard to the new attachment point.
There seems to be a discrepancy between the plans and the instructions. Go with the plans when you add the eyebolts to the channel.

IMG_7886.jpgIMG_7888.jpg

WOW - very good work on the masting and rigging - Bravo

Installation of the main yard.
Like the construction of the yard itself, the installation of the main yard can take some time. Getting the triple blocks on the halyards lined up seemed to be beyond my capabilities. HINT to persons doing this step in the future: Add the upper triple blocks and the upper sling ring to the lower mast before you permanently add the upper masts. It will be much easier to do then. (Probably good advice for any model!)

Once I had the fixed parts of the sling and halyards attached, I threaded the running portion of the halyards through the blocks and raised the main yard. A fiddle and a sea shanty may have been heard while hauling up the yard.
IMG_7893.jpg

When I got the yard raised to the correct height, I threaded the line through the sling rings to hold it in place but did not fix the end in case some further adjustment was needed. I added the yard lifts and the lift tackle (similar to the other yards).

When I looked for the attachment points for the preventer sling tackle, I noticed I had a problem. Both cleats where these rope attach were broken off. The picture shows after I removed the base of the cleat that were still attached. (Red circles in picture show the missing cleats; green circles show what should have been there).
IMG_7894 Edit.jpg

I had two reasonably sized brass cleats in my unused parts from another build, so I pressed them into service by pushing them into the platform structure and painting them grey. Since the cleats will have ropes tied off to them, the difference between the brass and wooden cleats will not really show in the final presentation.
IMG_7896.jpg
IMG_7897.jpg

While working on lines around the platform my hand slipped and that was the end of the rail at the back of the platform. I took inspiration from @HMSFly in his post (https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...y-model-shipways-1-76-scale.12050/post-362390) and crafted a replacement. First, I made 4 overlength wood strips and glued them together just at the ends. IMG_7901.jpg

I used some piano wire of a reasonable thickness for the uprights. I drilled through the wood strips so that I fully penetrated one set and only halfway through the other set (these will become the upper part of the rail.
IMG_7905.jpg

I then glued netting between the upper pieces of the rail and the painted posts and glued and clamped the 2 strips while sandwiching the netting in place. I added the lower strip to keep the post in alignment while the glue set.
IMG_7907.jpg

Once the glue was completely dry, I sandwiched the netting between lower strips, pulled it tight and glued these 2 strips.
IMG_7910.jpg

Here's the final result along with the broken original. The original doesn't look so bad here because it is lying flat. You can see multiple breaks in the piece. I went with four posts since the full-sized model and the actual ship use 4 and not 5.
IMG_7912.jpg

The replacement in place. I recommend that future builders not place the rail until after completing the rigging.
IMG_7923.jpg

Last edited:
When I looked for the attachment points for the preventer sling tackle, I noticed I had a problem. Both cleats where these rope attach were broken off. The picture shows after I removed the base of the cleat that were still attached. (Red circles in picture show the missing cleats; green circles show what should have been there).
View attachment 434783

I had two reasonably sized brass cleats in my unused parts from another build, so I pressed them into service by pushing them into the platform structure and painting them grey. Since the cleats will have ropes tied off to them, the difference between the brass and wooden cleats will not really show in the final presentation.
As Clint Eastwood's character "Sgt. Tom 'Gunny' Highway" said in the movie Heartbreak Ridge, You have to improvise, adapt and overcome!

The metal canopy frame is installed. The construction of the frame may have been one of the more challenging parts of the build. The metal was easily bent, but difficult to get smooth curves and keep the feet of the post aligned with the pre-drilled holes in the frame. I am not completely happy with the construction and I probably should have found some paint that was closer to brass, although the instructions call for using gold.IMG_7925.jpgIMG_7932.jpg

Back