USS Constitution from Model Shipways

Again some slow progress.

View attachment 381642
Hi I am ready to start carving out the counter block for my Constitution and it looks like your one is a different shape to how I am doing mine. It maybe the angle of the photo but it looks like you have a radius along the top edge of the block close to the rudder hole. I was going to angle the back edge at approximately 45 degrees and leave the edge sharp.How did you reduce the thickness of the block (1/2" down to 11/32") and then cut the deck radius, not sure how to do this accurately.
I'll post some pictures soon once I've worked it out.
Tony

PS I just double checked the thickness, it's 11/32" at the ends and 7/16" in the middle.

Last edited:
Short answer - lots of ginding and comparing the result to fotos found here in the forum.

APhil, looking forward to your build. Still working on CWM and saving all the build logs I can so I can build my MSW Connie. Just picked up another build that discussed something you might look into - by AL "Micro Riveting Tool 17x5 mm for Model Ship Hull $(USD)12.99. Best tool I've seen yet for copper planking and I plan to get one soon. Best of luck and truly looking forward to this!. JJ

I have met Philipp alias @APhil yesterday evening during our monthly Vienna meeting personally.
So I hope to see his Conny model in the future in real......
I am crossing all the fingers, that you have after the busy summer season more time for the lady
See you end of August during our next meeting

I have met Philipp alias @APhil yesterday evening during our monthly Vienna meeting personally.
So I hope to see his Conny model in the future in real......
I am crossing all the fingers, that you have after the busy summer season more time for the lady
See you end of August during our next meeting
Hi Uwek! Was so great finally meeting you in person! Thanks again for introducing me to the Vienna ship builders meeting!
Made also some progress today - will do the stern a little different from the instructions-I'm planning to add some interior.
Will also start the planking soon.
Hope to see you soon again!

20230728_123712.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Uwek! Was so great finally meeting you in person! Thanks again for introducing me to the Vienna ship builders meeting!
Made also some progress today - will do the stern a little different from the instructions-I'm planning to add some interior.
Will also start the planking soon.
Hope to see you soon again!

View attachment 387049
There's plenty of room in that stern for interior details. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Back