• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution - Model Shipways (kitbashed) 1:76.8 by GGibson

Most builders struggle with the transom, myself included. You seemed to breeze right through it even while deviating from the plans to create the six window 1812 version. Well done!

Jon
 
Most builders struggle with the transom, myself included. You seemed to breeze right through it even while deviating from the plans to create the six window 1812 version. Well done!

Jon
Thanks, Jon! Is this where I say "Hold my beer!"? I've already struggled in a few areas and am sure to hit several more walls in this phase. Fortunately, I've got you guys to follow who have led the path for me. You are all appreciated!
 
Ah, this takes me back to the good old days. Go back to my build log - "Book 1", starting with page 148 of 198, to see my notes (and complaints about the Hunt practicum) on this part of the build. I think you are very close to turning the ship upside down to plank to the keel. I noticed you didn't leave the three openings in the transom at the stern rail, so assume you will be cutting these out after planking (or focusing on a different year in Conny's history where these don't exist(?).

Next up will be the counter pieces. What fun you'll have with those! The flip Conny 180 degrees and prepare to spend the next month or more planking, planking, planking...

Enjoy your hiatus, wherever that may be.
 
I noticed you didn't leave the three openings in the transom at the stern rail, so assume you will be cutting these out after planking (or focusing on a different year in Conny's history where these don't exist(?).

Thanks for the peek-in and info, Peter! And I appreciate the reminder of your transom work in your build log. I have looked at it again. And, yes, it's that "counter extension" piece that I have been pondering.

For my "1812-ish" goal, the Hull model's stern did not have the openings at the spar deck level. This is (hopefully) what I am shooting for.

Thanks again for the comments and info.

Hull_Stern-2.jpg​
 
I will now need to continue the transom planking between and on both sides of the windows, and then down across the counter piece. It appears, though, that maybe before that, I need to shape a block that will rest against the “knuckle” portion of the transom. That block creates what will be the bottom portion of the quarter galleries. Does that process sound correct to those who have gone through this?

I am getting closer to the point of turning the ship over to continue the lower hull planking and begin the coppering. Well, at least I think I’m getting closer…
It looks like, before I shape and position the lower block that will rest against the knuckle portion of the transom and will be the base of the quarter galleries (on both sides) that I must complete before I am able to complete the transom planking, I need to plank the main wale area where all these other parts will rest against.

So… to position these main wale planks, it was best that I turn the ship over! I guess this is one of those major construction milestones to remember. Some time ago, to prepare for when I would have this ship upside down for the planking and coppering, I purchased a long roll of 3" thick foam for the ship to rest on. I think this will work well!

260912a-MainWalePlanks.jpeg​

The plan instructions call for this main wale area to have seven 3/32” thick planks that are tapered to 1/16” thick at each end. So, these planking strips will be made from 3/32” x 3/32” square basswood strips. The first row laid pretty easily with no difficult shaping at the stern end for this first one, but I needed to hold a strip under hot water for a bit in order to form the planking on the bow end. Will probably have to do that on both stern and bow as I continue with the next six main wale planks.

260912b-MainWalePlanks.jpeg

260912c-MainWalePlanks.jpeg​

Hopefully, this all will go well. Heading out for a brief trip the first of the week. Will continue where I leave off upon my return and then work on those quarter gallery base blocks and the lower transom planking. I appreciate all of the follows, likes, comments and criticisms!
 
Wow, hard to believe it took me two weeks to work on the remainder of these port-side main wales strakes. But, in my defense, I did take an awesome 5-day trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota in between, so I have a bit of an excuse.

I left off starting on the main wales area of my Constitution and had laid one strake of the 3/32” square plank strips. All of the strips laid fairly well from bow to stern, tapering them at each end down to 1/16” thick. I did have to continue to hold each of the strips that ended at the bow under a hot water stream to help with the curve shaping.

260926b-PortMainWales.jpeg​

Finishing these thicker main wale strakes at the stern were a bit of a challenge and it appears that, in reviewing all the other build logs, several of my fellow builders had similar concerns with how to properly finish these strakes at this end.

The way my 6th and 7th strakes were laying, they ended up tucked back behind the 5th strake as they ended against where the transom counter will reside. After these were placed, I sanded the corner of this transom area and I think it will come out nicely. Not sure yet, though, how the quarter gallery will affect this.

260926d-PortMainWales.jpeg 260926e-PortMainWales.jpeg

260926g-PortMainWales.jpeg​

So, the port-side main wales are complete. Will now spin it to the starboard side and do those, as well.

260926f-PortMainWales.jpeg 260926h-PortMainWales.jpeg​

Appreciate the reads, the follows, the comments and the critiques.
 
Back
Top