USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

Lawrence

Thanks for dropping in on my Connie.

The two tone effect is the 1st layer planking material. It was a greener colour the brown planking and has changed it colour probably with sunlight. Whe I first noticed it I thought that is walnut but it is not. It's just a limewood of some sort.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Just love your new Avatar, as it sure seems to fit you much better than the old one. The two tone wood does look rather nice in your pictures, but as you say it hast to go with the second planking.

Never knew that you also enjoy carving, wish you would add a few pictures of your work on your build log so that we all can enjoy, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Its a good feeling when you are closing in.

Donnie

Thanks all for droping in on my Connie.

I've been a bit side tracked the last few weeks and I had a chance to get to the Connie this morning I thought. I was noon before I started so I've only got to put one plank on on both sides.

I think we are down down to about 8.6 planks to go and once that is done it will be a good feeling.

P1010026.JPGP1010025d.jpg

What made me feel like I was getting ahead on mine was that I divided up the open area with a strip or two (making sure that my planks would turn out even number to fit). This way, at least I felt like I was getting somewhere. It looks like (from the photo) that the midship is wider open area. Is this correct?

Who am I to give advice on planking ? If I were you, I would take some dividers or flexible ruler and measure the open area from bow to stern and see if you have roughly the same measurements. What I found is that if not, then the further along you plank the worst it gets. In other words, the midship open area (not planked) seems to get wider while the bow and stern seem to close in faster. But, those are just ideas - now if this is a double planked hull, no worries.

Donnie

Donnie

You are quite right with the bow it is closing a bit quicker than I expected. It is double planked so I can hide my sins. and then fake copper tiles up to just under the lower gun ports. I have been measuring along the way and will be doing again prior to anymore planking. There is one more plank in than the last update, which I did last night.

As for the stern it is coming along pretty well, I think, I hope. The Mamoli plans give you a bit of an idea in some diagonal planks. I have not been sure how to measure that one. (See sketch plan.) With about three or four planks to go I will probably invest in some narrower first layer planking material, so as to come in with full planks except at the bow where I will still need to taper.

The stern I am going to be interesated in how that turns out.

Attachments

• Hull.jpg
    Hull.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 138
I have filled the hull with expandable foam as I said I would earlier in the build log. This I find strengthen the hull quite considerable. I have prety well cleaned the excess foam up and parts of the hull need to bit of a sand down for a bit of a clean up. This process might help with models that are in more humid climates.

Cheers
GeoffP1010028d.jpg

Hi Geoff,
That sure looks like a great idea. :handgestures-thumbup:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike

I must stress that you and anyone else doing this process will do it at your own risk.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Great work like always, it is sure nice to see the hull frames slowly disappearings and revealing the true lines of your ship. Yes, I can see the foam making the whole ship stronger, but there is such a danger of twisting your ship all over the place. I once had a friend who installed our living room window 12' x 5' and he used this foam to seal up between the window frame and the outside brick. After he had finished the two outside end windows were very sticky and very difficult to crank out, so I called the window rept. and he claimed that the foam had shifted the end windows inward. So I removed the window end trim and using a saw blade cut the foam alongside the window frame and sure enough, the windows shifted back to normal and they both worked and cranked out with no trouble at all, so be very careful this stuff has a lot of hidden strength in it, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

Helo Geoff,planking is looking great,filling with expandable foam beetween the bulkheads is a graet idea,but I would use Polyurethane Foam instead.

Hi Lawrence

I did the same on the Norfolk Sloop. One point to make is you need a descent escape route for the excess which this had. Across the mid ship it is about a 25 * 40 mm gap. If I had sealed that off then there would have been problems. This stuff expands by about 3 times. I also cut the heads off the excess after it had formed a decent crust.

It is messy sticky stuff.

As I said use at own risk.

I know one thing, it will not sink.

We are now down to 4 planks each side after todays effort.

Cheers
Geoff

Yeah, Happy birthday Geoff, one more year to go and you reach middle age! Remeber drink the whiskey and not the white stuff, it could be milk or it could be glue.
Regards
Eric
PS make sure the chips are potatoe crisps and not shavings of expanded foam.

Thanks Zoltan and Eric.

I was trying to keep it quiet.

The whiskey does sound tempting but I had just boiled the jug, besides the whiskey would put me on my ear.

Cheers
Geoff

Happy Birthday Geoff

Happy Birthday, My Admiral and I wish you a great day, with an extra piece of cake just for fun. I do hope that you have received all of the new toys that you have wished for and even a few more to boot. Have a Great Day my friend and many, many more to come, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Aussie048 said:
Hi Lawrence

I did the same on the Norfolk Sloop. One point to make is you need a descent escape route for the excess which this had. Across the mid ship it is about a 25 * 40 mm gap. If I had sealed that off then there would have been problems. This stuff expands by about 3 times. I also cut the heads off the excess after it had formed a decent crust.

It is messy sticky stuff.

As I said use at own risk.

I know one thing, it will not sink.

We are now down to 4 planks each side after todays effort.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Golly but you do have a lot more nerve than I have and that is for sure. However, you did achieve some very good results, and like you say [ She Will Never Sink ]. Good luck with the rest of your planking, and above all do enjoy your special day and have a Toast on us up here in Canada, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back