USS CONSTITUTION REVELL 1/96 scale

I've been looking at your pics and you haven't progressed to the point of no return with the studsail booms and yards. IF you haven't glued the boats in position, you could cut the lines, remove the boats and use a #11 Exacto knife to cut the SS booms and yards lashings. And, IF you haven't glued the booms and yards together, you can fish them out with tweezers. Then put the boats back in place. However, if you can't retrieve them then I would suggest that you rig the yards in the "inport" or "lowered" position with the yards square and no sails. It will still look nice when you finish. Trying to rig those plastic sails is very tricky. Especially the stunsails. Trying to make the booms and yards would be very time consuming. Save the sails for the next model. Use this one to learn the terminology and the standing and running rigging techniques. That will be hard enough. Note that the booms are indicated by dotted lines.View attachment 137828
Yes, I’m past the point of no return for the studsail booms and yards. I’m making my own with bamboo skewers. Think I will take your advice about import positions though. Thank you for the reference. You’re right. I have a lot to learn especially with terminology. Thanks again for the help.

If they are the same scale, 1/96. they should be the same size. Did your instructions call for the interior upper bulwarks to be painted green, or was that your decision? Just curious.
I saw others paint it like that and I liked it. I know it’s probably not historically accurate but from what I’ve read and seen, there were numerous color schemes through different Admirals.

The inside bulwarks were painted green.
After 1809, the inner bulkhead and waterway were dark green matt (about that of Humbrol #149, which needs to be scaled and weathered. Model Shipways paint calls for MS4801 Dark Green for bulwarks. The Hull model in the Peabody Essex Museum, built by the crew and given to Isaac Hull, shows a dark green for the bulwarks. When it comes to articles on exact colors used for the Connie, it's a wide open field and some articles almost get hostile over the issue. I used a flat dark green for my inside bulwarks. Your Connie is looking good and don't rush your progress!

Last edited:

Speaking of which, I’ve seen some masts painted all white and some with brown and white. Same with the rigging blocks, some black and some brown. Not sure which is accurate but I might just do personal preference. I like a little difference among the colors.

pbryan - here is an interesting article on color scheme(s) used for the USS Constitution. A little long but I think you would enjoy reading it. (if you haven't already!

I was an avid builder of plastic kits from about 6-13. The great Constitution was my last build of a sailing ship. I loved it dearly. The rigging took forever! But, it was the best one I ever built. Sadly, the wheels of time ground it to dust long ago. I have one in the basement- one day...Very best of luck to you, and Go Navy!