USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

Hi John

Looking at the pic you still need to sand a little more.There is still a little bit of a kink present.Uwe was referring to the bottom shape of the bulkhead making it look too high.The profile of the bulkheads do not flow smoothly under the waterline in this area.If you spend a little time just laying a planking strip across the bulkheads,you will spot the discrepancy.It may be an idea to check over the whole of the hull in this way.it much easier to address before you start fixing planks in place.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi John

Looking at the pic you still need to sand a little more.There is still a little bit of a kink present.Uwe was referring to the bottom shape of the bulkhead making it look too high.The profile of the bulkheads do not flow smoothly under the waterline in this area.If you spend a little time just laying a planking strip across the bulkheads,you will spot the discrepancy.It may be an idea to check over the whole of the hull in this way.it much easier to address before you start fixing planks in place.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you.

That looks a lot better John.It may want just a touch more but I can't be certain as the plank is obscured by the bulkhead ears.When I check along the sides like this where the curve is very shallow,I use a piece of straight 6mm square timber offered against the bulkheads.It needs to be straight otherwise it won't flex to a smooth curve.

Kind Regards

Nigel

To those that have completed this model, did you find that the first two and last two gun ports were slightly higher than the rest of the gun ports? I know you can't count on the drawings, but they indicate they are slightly higher (about 2mm).

Using a string to center the gun ports. Notice that the first two gun ports at the bow are slightly higher than the rest. A review of the images of the constitution are in a straight line, except the same gun ports are in the rounded peak area.20200130_145047.jpg20200130_145058_HDR.jpg20200130_145058_HDR.jpg20200130_145128_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200130_145121.jpg
    20200130_145121.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2
That is a massive improvement John.The amount you have had to remove from the slots comes as no surprise,these were a good idea in principle,just a shame Mamoli cut them all over the place.
When you glue the castings in place solid,remember to set the back of them vertical,do not work to the front sloping face.These were produced in about three different angles of slope for most of their kits.Expect to have the top or bottom ledge stuck well outside of the first planking.These are sanded flush when the hull is faired after first planking.

Kind Regards

Nigel

To those that have completed this model, did you find that the first two and last two gun ports were slightly higher than the rest of the gun ports? I know you can't count on the drawings, but they indicate they are slightly higher (about 2mm).
Sorry to be late on this, but on my Mamoli, the gun ports are straight across. If not, both the gun deck and white stripe would have to curve upwards. Pictures may not show this, but...

thumbnail_imageg.jpgthumbnail_image.jpg

I have not been able to work on my models. Had my fifth spinal surgery. It was postponed several times due to the pandemic. Don't know if I will ever be able to resume working on the models.

Back