USS Essex 1799 Frigate by rlwhitt - Model Shipways - 1:76 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Welcome to my log for the Model Shipways MS2041 US Frigate Essex, Hull Model.

I've had my eye on this kit since I started not very long ago in wood kits. I liked the looks of it, and since I'd already known I wasn't going to be big on fully rigged models, the "Admiralty Style" had a lot of appeal to me. This one and the Confederacy immediately went on my wish list. Then I started looking for build logs and realized that there were a number of bad rumblings about the kit. It seems that there was a snafu with MS getting the correct digital files used in the production of the kit in 2013, its first release. The kit was re-released in 2015, but I think by then folks were wary. The designer made a comment that they never did incorporate all his changes, though the kit definitely did undergo some changes in 2015, as can be seen in the manual. So not sure what the exact story is. A while back MS put all their kits on sale 47% off and I could not resist so went ahead and got it, so here we are. How bad can it be right? I'll do my best to work around anything I find. I do know that one of the main issues with the initial build being the shape of some frames not matching the contemporary drawings or AOTS exactly, but there were a number of drawings with no way to reconcile them all. If I'm getting the details a bit off I apologize. I have a feeling some of these conversations were occurring offline. My main concerns at my level of experience is that the thing is buildable for an intermediate builder and will create a pleasing model. At this point if a frame shape is a bit off 100% of the historic accuracy, I'm not sweating it. Hopefully by the end of this, if it builds OK it will encourage others, who like myself were a bit wary, to take the plunge.

I don't really intend for this to be a very detailed log, mostly a milestones and exceptions kind of thing. If I have trouble that ought to be known, I'll show that and what I come up with to work around it.

Thanks all for looking!

MS2041-000.JPG

Bones

So I've gotten through the basic framing, sans stern framing. A couple of observations. First is that ALL the bulkheads fit quite loose on the keelson/former, even with the char still intact. Some were "rattling loose". So, much shimming was required. As for the vertical fit I only had to adjust a couple by a very small amount to make the top even + bottom right at the rabbet, so that part was good.

As you can see in the first picture, there is a rather big gap at the scarf joint. Since this hull will be coppered on the bottom, this is no big deal. Some scrap wood and filler does the repair deed.

MS2041-001.JPG

The 2015 re-release included an optional "strong back" method to use a couple of thick strip "spines" along the keelson former and through some slots cut into most of the bulkheads. Tricky alignment to get those spines in there, but mine went in pretty easy. I also added some additional stiffeners near the outboard edges of the bulkheads, for more confident fairing. This thing is strong, that's for sure!

The rest is just pictures of the framing so far, including mast blocks and some bow filler, with rough fairing done.

MS2041-002.JPG

MS2041-003.JPG

MS2041-004.JPG

Framing Complete

So I've finished the framing (stern and gun port) with very little drama. One thing that needs to be pointed out is a discrepancy between the framing plan sheet and the instructions, for the stern framing. Following the plan would put the stern windows at the wrong height. The pictures in the instructions are correct, and I've patterned mine after that, as shown in the first photo. Additionally, just to make sure, I got out the stern arch piece and dry fit that to verify that the window line is right.

MS2041-005.JPG

Next, the significant task of gun port framing, old school. No laser cut sills and lintels here! Just tons of little sticks. Actually, I enjoy this step. I know a lot of folks find it quite tedious. I guess it is, but it's one of those things where you feel like you're actually building something, and I find it satisfying when done.

On the framing plan the framing parts stated to be 3/16" were actually drawn a little too small, like 1/8" or so, but the text legends are correct. And the instructions of measuring up 1/8" from top of bulkheads for the bottom of the sills seems to work out correctly for the 3/16" dimension and the measured height of one of the gun carriages.

So the framing is complete and rough sanded. Next some finer sanding work and onto planking

MS2041-006.JPG

Upper Planking

Outer bulwarks and stern are planked. Many places I wish were better, but as this is my first "real" full ship with gun-ports, etc, I'm satisfied. This is why we build more than one right? - so we learn to be better next time!

I think at this point in the build, many will put in the wales. Oddly the written instructions in this kit never mention them. They just magically appear in the pictures a bit further on, after the lower planking is in place. I will assume from this context, and a lack of sufficient thicker stock, that the intention is to put on a second layer of the same planking for the wales. Which is what I'll do - so next task will be to start that lower planking. There is a decision of sorts to be made here, in my opinion. As designed, the plan here is a very simplified planking where the middle section is done with straight(ish) planks, with all the butt joints on 2 frames, followed by the bow and stern sections. Not sure how I feel about this, but most is under copper plating or a little bit is painted, so I understand why they went this way. We'll see.

MS2041-007.JPG

MS2041-008.JPG

MS2041-009.JPG

Lower Planking and Wales

So I went ahead and followed the instructions for the simplified planking, first with garboard and a couple of lower planks. These are supposed to be 3/16" for all 6 but there were only 5 provided, so I did the garboard with a 1/4". Then the middle section, followed by the stern and bow sections. I ended up with quite a crazy quilt of planks! But since it'll all be under copper and paint below the wales, I'm not sweating it too much. Here it's rough filled and sanded, I will do a finer sanding once the other side is done. I did the wales with some extra 1/4" strip instead of the 1/8" planking.

MS2041-010.JPG

MS2041-011.JPG

MS2041-012.JPG

I join the friends before me in complimenting the precise and clean work, I will continue to follow you with great curiosity :) Okay Thumbsup

Last edited:
Oh, commentary is wonderful! I'm not moving quite that fast, I've been started for several weeks now and just now catching up posting the pics here. Thanks!
i BUILT a model of the ESSEX from scratch, which was displayed in the Peabody Museum for some years ( 1976 and after) The model was built using the data in the Fox Papers. I worked closely with the Curator of the Peabody, Mr Chad Smith, who was writing the authorative work on the ship "The Frigate Essex Papers ..." My model was considered the most accurate portrayal of the actual vessel. The MS plans Had many inaccuracies, and a book written by Portia Takakjian has many blatant inaccuracies. A friend photographed my model, and several years ago, he and I published a book about my model. I would be happy to provide a copy to you, or any other member. I think I can email the final version to you, or any other serious modeler. i would also be willing to discuss the model with any member who is interested. My email address is: waltzimmer@aol.com. My hope is that we can eliminate the inaccuracies that are repeated today. I would also suggest that any serious modeller of the Essex purchase a copy of "The Essex Papers: Building the Salem Frigate 1797-1799" by Phillip Chadwick Foster Smith. There are still copies available on Amazon an EBay. Pleas feel free to contact me.

External Planking Complete

A milestone! The hardest part, in my opinion, completed planking. This model only has one layer. Everything will be black paint or copper below the wales. But before that happens, I'll be moving inside for the bulwark planking and decking. Much sanding left to do!

MS2041-013.JPG

MS2041-014.JPGMS2041-015.JPG

Back