USS New York 74 gun ship of the line [COMPLETED BUILD]

The New York's carronade gun tackle is done. The pin rails are starting to go in. Yes, I know the bow pin rails are crooked. There are not glued in yet so I can fix that! I know the belaying pins look out of scale, but, 90% of them will be covered by rope coils anyway.

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

Thank you to everyone for the belying pin suggestions. The main reason I went with outsized pins is that in many cases they have more than one line tied off to them. The extra length gives me something to hang the multiple coils of rope from. I have seen photos of pin rails so loaded with rope coils they look like just a pile of them. You cannot even tell there is a pin rail under there!

The old mentor who helped me learn the ship building trade told me to never glue in masts, so they can be removed if needed for transporting or repairs when damaged.

In my Phantom damage was done while sitting in storage for a few months, I was lucky to be able to just wiggle them out after removing what was left of broken bits and shrouds.

The old mentor who helped me learn the ship building trade told me to never glue in masts, so they can be removed if needed for transporting or repairs when damaged.
I am unsure about that. Yes, the mast might not be glued (it is not necessary), but what about all the rigging removal? What about shrouds, and ratlines how you will remove them?

On my first scratch build, the Pennsylvania, I was putting the Crossjack yard on the Mizzen and I noticed the port side chain wale and thus everything attached to it was 3/16th of inch to far toward the bow. I cut the shrouds off (along with the ratlines) removed all of the chain links, and then moved the chain wale back and redid the entire port side lower mizzen shrouds and ratlines. The Pennsylvania took me 7 years to build for a reason.

I am unsure about that. Yes, the mast might not be glued (it is not necessary), but what about all the rigging removal? What about shrouds, and ratlines how you will remove them?
Mainly if model needed repairs or restoration, he had said some larger models he sold to customer he left masts down and part of sales deal he would travel with ship and do final rigging at home or office display. He sold several kits a year to interior decorator firms who needed large custom ships.

Back