Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Happy Saturday.

In an effort to increase my line count per day I took my first shot at rat-lining. I learned several things:
  • My shrouds are too loose
  • It is not faster when you get toward the 'smaller' upper portion (same number of knots - less space)
  • Polyester lines handle beautifully when feeding them past other lines (no fuzz), but they defy gravity (they don't hang well)
I'm not entirely satisfied but I'm learning.

Technique (below) courtesy of Kurt S.
Battens are lined with sandpaper - must be clamped firmly.

IMG_7991.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

Need to tune up the drape of these ratlines and I can now see some knots that need tightening and adjusting.

IMG_7994.JPG

I used a pointy/curved-tip tweezers in my good hand and grabbed the line lead with the fingers of my off hand. This takes a fair amount of dexterity because of the small scale. I might try two tweezers next time.

This work also took a toll on my upper back. I tried resting my elbows (arms) on my work surface, but this limited my range of motion and vertical control, so I ended up with my arms suspended in front of me which meant I needed to take a break after an hour or so.

Thanks for visiting!

Last edited:
Over the past several months there have been several posts sharing how forum members have blessed other forum members with random acts of kindness: model parts and tool parts sent because they couldn't be sourced in the country needed, books gifted when cost was a barrier, resources provided when a need emerged. Not to mention the positive and encouraging posts that happen on a daily basis...

How nice it is to be part of a niche community that actually wants to do good things for others regardless of race, creed, or persuasion...

I was recently blessed by Kurt (@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS) who sent me rigging plans for a foreign/continental ship simply because he thought they might help me on my Vasa.

And then there was this:

IMG_8011.JPG

Jan and Rachel (@Pathfinder65) blessed my grandson with this beautiful gift. They will likely never meet him in real life - but they have made a friend (and a little boy very happy once he figured out the bear wasn't going to eat him).

Last edited:
Over the past several months there have been several posts sharing how forum members have blessed other forum members with random acts of kindness: model parts and tool parts sent because they couldn't be sourced in the country needed, books gifted when cost was a barrier, resources provided when a need emerged. Not to mention the positive and encouraging posts that happen on a daily basis...

How nice it is to be part of a niche community that actually wants to do good things for one another regardless of race, creed, or persuasion...

I was recently blessed by Kurt (@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS) who sent me rigging plans for a foreign/continental ship simply because he thought they might help me on my Vasa.

And then there was this:

View attachment 298917

Jan and Rachel (@Pathfinder65) blessed my grandson with this beautiful gift. They will likely never meet him in real life - but they have made a friend (and a little boy very happy once he figured out the bear wasn't going to eat him).
I was excited to read the last post, this is what's beautiful about the bunch of special people who create the special on our site, human love, friendship and passion for our special hobby.
Your grandson just captivates my heart:)
Jan and Rachel, well done

How nice it is to be part of a niche community that actually wants to do good things for one another regardless of race, creed, or persuasion...

And then there was this:

View attachment 298917

Looking at that happy and healthy little boy fills my heart with joy!

Happy Saturday.

In an effort to increase my line count per day I took my first shot at rat-lining. I learned several things:
  • It is not faster when you get toward the 'smaller' upper portion (same number of knots - less space)
  • Polyester lines handle beautifully when feeding them past other lines (no fuzz), but they defy gravity (they don't hang well)

View attachment 298891

View attachment 298893

Need to tune up the drape of these ratlines and I can now see some knots that need tightening and adjusting.

View attachment 298892

I used a pointy/curved-tip tweezers in my good hand and grabbed the line lead with my fingers of my off hand. This takes a fair amount of dexterity. I might try two tweezers next time.

This work also took a toll on my upper back. I tried resting my elbows (arms) on my work surface, but this limited my range of motion and vertical control, so I ended up with my arms suspended in front of me which meant I needed to take a break after an hour or so.

Thanks for visiting!
Your ratlines came out PERFECT, Paul. Congrats!! Make sure you make the starboard ratlines match the locations of the port side ones by measuring from the bulwark with your machine rule every 2-3 ratlines as you go. Your work is so precise, this will be no problem for you.

And then there was this:

View attachment 298917

I feel as though we all have been blessed and we just pay it forward at the time the Lord deems right. I love seeing this and how happy he is to have his new gift!! Blessing to you and your family Dock and prayers ever more for you family

Happy Saturday.

View attachment 298891

View attachment 298893

View attachment 298892

I used a pointy/curved-tip tweezers in my good hand and grabbed the line lead with my fingers of my off hand. This takes a fair amount of dexterity. I might try two tweezers next time.

Thanks for visiting!
That is so nice precise work you got there! My last ship I did was not the greatest with the rat lines and I love your idea with the guide you have going up.

Happy Saturday.

View attachment 298891

View attachment 298893

View attachment 298892

Thanks for visiting!
Your ratlines look very good Paul. My first try was very exasperating, but they tend to homogenize (visual blending) once you have completed them. The main thing I had to watch out for was pulling the shrouds out of their alignment when tightening the clove hitches. As I am going vertical now, I find myself standing up, working a little, sit back down, work a little, up and down, up and down. Ha, now I need a hydraulic lift/lowering table.

Dear Paul - first your ratlines - they are truly magnificent; they look like Piet Sanders's ratlines - a bigger compliment I cannot give you! To use a @GrantTyler "Grantism" - you owned that!

And secondly, what a magnificent gesture by @Pathfinder65 Jan and Rachel. I am so proud to be part of platform that CARES! Now, if only we can figure out a way to send messages and gestures like these to the "leaders" of the world!

Rat lines look great to me Paul! Are they perfect, no …but neither is a real ship. Perfection is not realism! Once you make that connection, you can relax a little…lol. ;) For sure you will be able to tie clove hitches in your sleep soon!
I always work left to right, with the angle tip tweezers as you mentioned. You could use two tweezers, but I don’t.

Ps - love the great people on SOS. I have sent and have received myself. ;)

How nice it is to be part of a niche community that actually wants to do good things for others regardless of race, creed, or persuasion...

And then there was this:

View attachment 298917

Jan @Pathfinder65 - Damian is clearly very chuffed with his new friend. I think when he saw his name on the bears foot it was like I have a special me friend...

Good people and friends in SOS.

Paul your ratlines are brilliant. When I look at your work I always think - that is what can be achieved , knowing I just don’t have your detail, perfectionism or skill. However you do set something for us mere mortals to strive towards. Outstanding ratlines.
Cheers
Grant

Jan @Pathfinder65 - Damian is clearly very chuffed with his new friend. I think when he saw his name on the bears foot it was like I have a special me friend...

Good people and friends in SOS.

Paul your ratlines are brilliant. When I look at your work I always think - that is what can be achieved , knowing I just don’t have your detail, perfectionism or skill. However you do set something for us mere mortals to strive towards. Outstanding ratlines.
Cheers
Grant
You will get much better skill if you build more models, Grant. Everyone is on a different rung on the ladder of perfection. If someone isn't happy with where they are and decide to stop building, they will never get any better. We all learn at different rates too. The thing is to keep as patient with yourself as you are with your model details. If you have patience, the rest will come in time.

Back