Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Tobias,
Yes, it's no minor thing to get caught up on my build log. I hope you found moments of enjoyment along the way. I greatly admire your work - especially your willingness to take on new challenges (a scratch build already!).
Haha, if you skip the small talk it is just three pages. :)

Congrats with being grandpa 3 times Paul.
Hope for you they don t want a Vasa model for their sweet sixteen party all three, otherwise you are ending up like @Heinrich. :cool:

PS great rigging, love it.

Haha, if you skip the small talk it is just three pages. :)

Congrats with being grandpa 3 times Paul.
Hope for you they don t want a Vasa model for their sweet sixteen party all three, otherwise you are ending up like @Heinrich. :cool:

PS great rigging, love it.
'really made me laugh, here ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF

You know ILY, Paul. And many congrats on the growth of your family/future labor pool; let's build a 100-gunner!

2013 Dive resolution:

Riksapplet is much more interesting and plenty data.

Eriksson even wrote a book about it which details much of its carvings.

Yes I know my list of ships to build becomes longer and longer. Choices, choices choices.

Hello Friends,

As this build quietly enters its third year (Speechless) you would think I would have learned enough to avoid making the following observation: EVERYTHING takes SO LONG to do on these model ships! Alas...I am once again surprised by how everything takes so long to do on these model ships.

This third year welcomes a major shift. Standing rigging is largely complete - and the preliminaries for the running rigging are largely complete. That means it's time to install yardarms (and thus the running part of the running rigging). I chose to begin at the pointy end with the yard for the sprit course sail (is that what it's called?).

Let's begin with a view from above:

IMG_8437.JPG

Looks simple, right? Wait for it...

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

And now a view from the side...

IMG_8446.JPG

As I have mentioned in the past, it was my original plan to rig this first ship without sails. But while visiting the Rijksmuseum my bride made a passing comment that she liked the ship models with sails more than the ships without them. To that end I have endeavored to add sails - knowing in my heart that if I could not do sails convincingly, I would abandon the effort without regret (well, maybe a modicum of regret, but nonetheless).

My goal for the spirt course sail was a loose furl. I'll let you judge how convincing this is:

IMG_8442.JPG

IMG_8443.JPG

IMG_8444.JPG

I'm inclined to keep it but am curious what you think - especially if you have suggestions for improving what I have thus far.

And here are a few random details:

IMG_8422.JPG IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8435.JPG IMG_8436.JPG

And one final view. Convinced? Or not so much?

IMG_8447.JPG

As always, I am humbled that you would stop by.

Last edited:
Congratulations Paul. Grandchildren are the very best and give endless enjoyment also they listen and behave for Grandparents unlike their parents when they were little.. Cheers to you and yours.

Back