Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Paul,

Many thanks for your detailed explanation of your parrel rigging. I kept mine a little simpler and to be frank, when buried beneath all the lines coming from above, much of the detail of how they are rigged is hard to see. In all cases however, I ran my parrel control lines to deck level and secured at knightshead or cleats.

Let us know of your experiences with the top down approach. I am curious but personally would not do it that way.

I am also curious as to how you are planning to shape your sails. Some use starch or fabric conditioner, others use thin copper wire threaded through the lower turn of the seams in the sail so it is hidden. Shaping the wire then gives a nice bellowed shape to the sail - All just another challenge..

Regards,

PeterG

Good day Paul,
Recently watched your last posts andcwas very impressed - such a nice and clean rigging works You did !!!
Great!
Regarding shape of furled sails,
interesting, which way did You choose for demonstratiion top sails ,if You will show them furled ?
I meant, in 17th they used to be stored in some specific way...
Sorry if these questions already rised in Your build log....
Wish You all the best!!!

Screenshot_20221001_062051_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221001_062233_Gallery.jpg

Good day Paul,
Recently watched your last posts andcwas very impressed - such a nice and clean rigging works You did !!!
Great!
Regarding shape of furled sails,
interesting, which way did You choose for demonstratiion top sails ,if You will show them furled ?
I meant, in 17th they used to be stored in some specific way...
Sorry if these questions already rised in Your build log....
Wish You all the best!!!

View attachment 331659

View attachment 331660
Hi Kirill and welcome back to the forum.

My research agrees with yours and the sails should be furled to the mast/top as depicted on the Kalmar Nyckel image you showed above (Harland has fantastic drawings of how this was done). I attempted to accomplish this but couldn't pull it off. Using the sails I made has introduced many challenges, not least of which is the bulk of the fabric itself. While it is in reality quite lightweight in my hands, it looks (and functions) annoyingly heavy/thick at scale on the ship. In order to furl this fabric the sail must be shortened - but when it is shortened it is no longer possible to gather the sail to the mast.

My solution was to abandon the tight furling in favor of the loose furling I have been showing thus far. A loosely furled sail (which frankly has little historical support) is a compromise/concession to the material I chose and my skill level.

Dear Paul,
Interesting things... non-scale appearance of the furled sails on the models... look, even consider museum models...
sometimes it looks like as not too much critical point :))) ?
I think(even I didn't see results of your experiments), your attempts to show them furled , which You said were discarded as unsuccessful... were looked much better than we could see on these museum examples ...?
When You try to furl them, did You make them (cloth) reasonable wet in white clue+water solution during process and use hot air dryer and pincers and some auxiliary frames and wires to form required shape of the sails / gravity imitations\ made them dry and hard before installations on the yards?
... that photos with furled sails in your hands shown above, tell me that You still have quite a good unused potential of the fabric , special "chemichal" treatments and your high modelling skills to show them in proper way for 17th th century... :)))
I meant, may be You will give one more try to form this specific shape with vertical part... of cause if You wish and if there is sence to do this again...
All the best!
Kirill

001 NG-NM-9358.jpg

Den Ary 1725 aVOC ship.jpg

Last edited:
Work continues at its typical glacial pace at the dockattner shipyard. It's been nearly two weeks since my last posting and I've actually had a fair amount of hobby time available - but there are just SO MANY LINES to figure out and run.

Add on top of that the random rat's nest I create when running lines around, under, over, between other lines and the privilege of getting to redo lines I somehow manage to mangle or cut while working on other lines, and well...it just takes time.

Still, it is quite satisfying to get things in place. There is a rare beauty to a fully rigged square sail ship that I have learned to appreciate.

This post features the nearly complete foremast rigging. I have left off the spritsail sheets and the foresail sheets and tacks (they will just be in my way) but most everything else is in place. And that includes sails. I accept that there are some who are not excited by how I am doing my sails but that's OK. I joined this forum to learn and that inevitably includes some criticisms. I enjoy the exchange and hope everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the overall view from several angles along with some closer looks (sorry about the sketchy focus on a few of these):

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_8501.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

And a few random close-ups:

IMG_8504.JPG IMG_8507.JPG

IMG_8510.JPG IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG IMG_8521.JPG

Before taking on the main mast I'm going to figure out how to make rope hanks and get some of them in place. There are going to be a lot of them, and I don't relish the thought of spending weeks making all of them at the end. Thanks for visiting!

IMG_8494.JPG

Work continues at its typical glacial pace at the dockattner shipyard. It's been nearly two weeks since my last posting and I've actually had a fair amount of hobby time available - but there are just SO MANY LINES to figure out and run.

Add on top of that the random rat's nest I create when running lines around, under, over, between other lines and the privilege of getting to redo lines I somehow manage to mangle or cut while working on other lines, and well...it just takes time.

Still, it is quite satisfying to get things in place. There is a rare beauty to a fully rigged square sail ship that I have learned to appreciate.

This post features the nearly complete foremast rigging. I have left off the spritsail sheets and the foresail sheets and tacks (they will just be in my way) but most everything else is in place. And that includes sails. I accept that there are some who are not excited by how I am doing my sails but that's OK. I joined this forum to learn and that inevitably includes some criticisms. I enjoy the exchange and hope everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the overall view from several angles along with some closer looks (sorry about the sketchy focus on a few of these):

View attachment 332430

View attachment 332434

View attachment 332435

View attachment 332433

View attachment 332432

View attachment 332436 View attachment 332437

View attachment 332438 View attachment 332439

View attachment 332440 View attachment 332441

View attachment 332442 View attachment 332443

View attachment 332444 View attachment 332445

Before taking on the main mast I'm going to figure out how to make rope hanks and get some of them in place. There are going to be a lot of them, and I don't relish the thought of spending weeks making all of them at the end. Thanks for visiting!

View attachment 332431
Watching and learning from your beautiful work is a pleasure for me! The various parts in the mast and the sails are simply excellent in quality.
Well done friend Okay :) Thumbsup

View attachment 332430

View attachment 332434

View attachment 332435

View attachment 332433

View attachment 332432

View attachment 332431
Stunning work. Stupendous would be a better description of the precise build. How do you get everything so clean especially the knots?

Your rigging is fantastic Paul! I see your yard bracing pendants attach to the pully lines with a ball and socket (for lack of a better term) style similar to the main stays on the standing rigging. Now that's just first class all the way. I love it.

View attachment 332430

View attachment 332434

View attachment 332435

View attachment 332433

View attachment 332432

View attachment 332431
Sweet!

Dear Paul. Your rigging is absolutely superb - all the adjectives mentioned already, apply. With regards to the sails, I think it is very difficult to comment at such an early stage. Only when everything is done, and the overall picture is presented, would it be fair to comment. Until that time, enjoy every minute of your magnificent build.

View attachment 332430

View attachment 332434

View attachment 332435

View attachment 332433

View attachment 332432

View attachment 332431
Good morning Paul. Immaculate rigging. The configuration of your sails is certainly a personal choice and the mixture of furled, partially furled and full is effective for sure. You got skills Paul and beautifully executed. Cheers Grant

Back