Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Planking, planking, planking...

IMG_5804 (2).JPG

I added the frames for the gun ports when I completed the first layer of hull planking. I didn't do this because I thought it was a good idea (versus after the second layer of hull planks like I see for most builds) - I did it because my cutouts in the primary hull were so bad that I needed to correct some size / shape issues before adding the second layer.

Because the frames were already in place I needed to be quite careful cutting back the openings. I will need to do some painting touch-up but so far so good...

IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG

Planking, planking, planking, planking... (and I still need to do the other side) o_O.

IMG_5812 (2).JPG

Thanks for checking in!

View attachment 199359

I added the frames for the gun ports when I completed the first layer of hull planking. I didn't do this because I thought it was a good idea (versus after the second layer of hull planks like I see for most builds) - I did it because my cutouts in the primary hull were so bad that I needed to correct some size / shape issues before adding the second layer.

Because the frames were already in place I needed to be quite careful cutting back the openings. I will need to do some painting touch-up but so far so good...

View attachment 199360
View attachment 199361

Planking, planking, planking, planking... (and I still need to do the other side) o_O.

View attachment 199362

Thanks for checking in!
She's going to be beautiful!!! Especially once the wales and railings go on...and all the ornamentation (viewed with magnification ;)). I honestly think you did a fantastic job, and I can't wait to see how this build turns out. I will be following.

You really have those scarf joints down to

View attachment 199359

View attachment 199360
View attachment 199361

View attachment 199362

Thanks for checking in!
perfected repetition. Rich (PT-2)

She's going to be beautiful!!! Especially once the wales and railings go on...and all the ornamentation (viewed with magnification ;)). I honestly think you did a fantastic job, and I can't wait to see how this build turns out. I will be following.
Do you typically add the wales over the second planking? On my last ship, the final planking was laid adjacent to the wales, which were placed onto the first layer of planking. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each method?

She is turning into real beauty Paul. That Pear Wood really has a lovely rosy tint to it!

She is turning into real beauty Paul. That Pear Wood really has a lovely rosy tint to it!

Thanks, everyone, for the likes and the encouraging comments! I know I'm preaching to the choir but planking a ship of this size is an epic undertaking. Each piece requires attention so there is no option but to pursue slow steady progress. Mistakes work their way in along the way - some of these I have been able to correct but not all of them. My hope is that the sum-total will overcome the shortcomings. And when I look at the logs of your work it does inspire me to make my best effort. Again, thanks for your kind words!

Do you typically add the wales over the second planking? On my last ship, the final planking was laid adjacent to the wales, which were placed onto the first layer of planking. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each method?
Hi Kurt,
Let's see if the 'masters' out there can get us an answer to your excellent question. The DeAg instructions call for the wales to be added after the secondary planking and the dimensional timber provided (which I have since replaced with pear but of the same dimensions) seems to take that into account. But almost every build on the forum shows wales installed directly to the primary hull (obviously with a single planked hull the point is mute). Let's see what we can learn...

Hi Kurt,
Let's see if the 'masters' out there can get us an answer to your excellent question. The DeAg instructions call for the wales to be added after the secondary planking and the dimensional timber provided (which I have since replaced with pear but of the same dimensions) seems to take that into account. But almost every build on the forum shows wales installed directly to the primary hull (obviously with a single planked hull the point is mute). Let's see what we can learn...
My Cazador has the wales added after the second planking, per the instructions. But the second plank is a veneer, like your second planking is.
It would prove to be harder to plank adjacent and around existing wales, than to add the wales last... especially if the spacing between the wales was less than a full width board or varied in width, or if the Wales do not follow the same flow as the planks. In addition, it would be harder to sand. Also the height, or thickness, of the wales would be harder to control with respect to the rest of the planking, due to any potential variance in thickness of boards adjacent being added after the wales.
It just makes more sense, from a build and precision stand point, to add them last after all planking has been done and sanded.
My San Felipe shows the wales to be added last after all planking (double) and sanding. That's when the wales, steps, vertical boards, etc. get added. On my Norske Love ship, the wales were added after all planking, although it was a single plank.
It seems to me that adding the wales after planking is the norm, not the exception, regardless of single or double plank.
However I could be wrong, as I am not the expert here. Just going by my personal experience, logic and kit recommendations.

Last edited:
Kurt's question and your response got me to thinking about it. My next build will be the Billings version of the Vasa and the photo from their instructions shows the wales aligned to the natural swag of the ship . If you look closely (on the single planked hull per plan design), the planking is way off the whales. Anyway I plan to double plank the hull with walnut I ordered but not sure at this point how to achieve the proper swag. I will definitely be placing the wale boards on top of the walnut veneer.

IMG_0624.jpg

Kurt's question and your response got me to thinking about it. My next build will be the Billings version of the Vasa and the photo from their instructions shows the wales aligned to the natural swag of the ship . If you look closely (on the single planked hull per plan design), the planking is way off the whales. Anyway I plan to double plank the hull with walnut I ordered but not sure at this point how to achieve the proper swag. I will definitely be placing the wale boards on top of the walnut veneer.
Here is a fabulous Billings Wasa by @PeterG. He did a single hull planking and placed the wales over the hull planks. His 'swag' also departs from the flow of the hull planks if I understand your use of the word swag. Trying to plank the hull to follow the lines of the ship is why I got myself into a pit of despair that fellow forum members needed to save me from (see post #264). But as @Heinrich has pointed out - this is what these early 1600's Dutch ships looked like so you might choose to make the effort. Can't wait to support you when you post your build log!

IMG_3193.JPG

Here is a link to this inspiring build of the Billings Wasa: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-build-log-billing-boats-scale-1-75.3759/ for anyone interested - and especially for you Daniel if you have not seen it before.

The wales appear to be contiguous with the hull planks. See the image below:

View attachment 199504
Perhaps real ships had a thicker board for the wales verse adding a board on top? There would be obvious pros and cons with that approach. But on a model, I believe it would be more precise to add them on top of existing planks, for several reasons.

Yes I have followed Peter and you as well. You both are way ahead of my talent. However you and so many others on this forum sure make it fun for me.
I have my Vasa on the shelf for now but I will be posting a log on it when I start it.
Thanks for your very interesting build log.

Yes I have followed Peter and you as well. You both are way ahead of my talent. However you and so many others on this forum sure make it fun for me.
I have my Vasa on the shelf for now but I will be posting a log on it when I start it.
Thanks for your very interesting build log.
Hey I see you are in Houston, I live in Missouri City. We are almost neighbors...lol.
The good thing about a build log, is that a lot of experienced people, and even masters, will be looking over your shoulder. That may seem intimidating at first, but it is valuable experience you can draw upon to help you make the right decisions and use the correct techniques, and even materials. I learned to stay away from Titebond 2 that dried a horrible yellowish color, and switched to Weldbond that dries 100% clear! Look forward to your build Daniel.

Last edited:
Hey I see you are in Houston, I live in Missouri City. We are almost neighbors...lol.
Thanks for your kind words and support. The good thing about a build log, is that a lot of experienced people, and even masters, will be looking over your shoulder. That may seem intimidating at first, but it is valuable experience you can draw upon to help you make the right decisions and use the correct techniques, and even materials. I learned to stay away from Titebond 2 that dried a horrible yellowish color, and switched to Weldbond that dries 100% clear! Look forward to your build Daniel.
Hi Dean,
We are just down the road from each other. I have been using Gorilla wood glue, it does have a slight yellowing too. I have relied heavily on CA glue probably too much but so far so good. Wood glue for the keel ,bulkheads, and lower deck parts. I had read that Gorilla Glue was going out of business so I will look into Titebond 2.

Back