Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sometimes it’s difficult to find the right words when you see such quality workmanship. This is at such a high level Paul. Many of us may never achieve in ten years what you have accomplished in two.
Hmm. Just look at your own work Roger and you will see what quality workmanship looks like... :D

It sure is getting better, Paul. Look at the video above and check out how many fine folds would be required on a scale model sail compared to the full size pictures. Those folds and wrinkles are the hard part to simulate in a model without using silkspan. Even Navarre White Lawn fabric is not thin enough to get the folds looking the same, which is a drawback in using cloth for model sails. Perhaps fine folds can be made with tools like tweezers and toothpicks and the frozen in place using starch. I have to experiment with making furled sails too, and come up with a technique.

You've all probably seen this, but it explained a few things to me. I didn't realize that they kinda pulled it al toward the center. You have to go to the middle of the video to get a better idea.
Take note that in the video, the sails are furled on top of the yard, a modern practice, as opposed to the sail cloth hanging below the yard as in 17th century ships. In both cases, the cloth is gathered the center as much as possible.

Last edited:
Take not that in the video, the sails are furled on top of the yard, a modern practice, as opposed to the sail cloth hanging below the yard as in 17th century ships. In both cases, the cloth is gathered the center as much as possible.
Indeed. And keep in mind. Sailcloth of such a big ship is almost 1 cm thick, mostly half of a cm. The weight of a sail was enormous special when wet. It was hard work to furl a sail that has only the will to go down because of the weight. When you imagine that you can imagine how these sails would look like.

A rare Friday posting from the Kattner Shipyard...

Over the past week or so I tweaked the sprit sail and completed the remedial work (translation: do-over) on the sprit topmast sail...and then 'installed' the topmast sail on my ship. Honestly, I'm just not super excited about my sails. I have come to the conclusion (a conclusion, perhaps, shared by others) that fabric sails just can't work at this scale. They certainly don't in my hands. I had a passing thought about starting over with silkspan, but the notion of making sails AGAIN just didn't pass the test of common sense. I'm going to do the best I can with what I have and chalk it up to experience.

Other than the pending addition of sheets to the sprit sail the running rigging is complete for these first two sails/yards. Here are some pictures of the overall look:

IMG_8476.JPG

IMG_8478.JPG

IMG_8484.JPG

And now a somewhat random selection of closeup images:

IMG_8452.JPG IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG IMG_8472.JPG

If you have ever rigged a ship you know how challenging access can be. I like to think I have pretty good hand-eye coordination, and I work with small tools in a precision environment professionally, but I have been tested by the demands of this task. Plus, I am constantly bumping into the yards or snagging myself on lines. I haven't snapped anything off yet or cut the wrong line, but I can see that it is just a matter of time.

It is very satisfying, however, to contemplate running a particular rope and seeing the blocks needed already installed and ready to be included. I'm glad I endured weeks and weeks of tedium to now be at this stage.

Next up: I have to go back and shorten my topgallant sails before those can be installed - but then work will commence on the foremast (going to try working from the top down and see how that works).

I say it all the time, but I do mean it - it is so kind of you to stop by and visit when the opportunity arises. I am grateful that you find this particular build of interest and am encouraged to keep pressing on. My thanks.

IMG_8486.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful work Paul. So much to be admired. Pity the depth of field is so narrow That I can't see the knots and bindings used. I agree whole heartedly about the frustration(s) of constantly getting snagged while rigging especially made worse when one has no idea what or how to rig which is very much my case and situation. Once again 'awesome work Paul' cheers.

Over the past week or so I tweaked the sprit sail and completed the remedial work (translation: do-over) on the sprit topmast sail...and then 'installed' the topmast sail on my ship. Honestly, I'm just not super excited about my sails. I have come to the conclusion (a conclusion, perhaps, shared by others) that fabric sails just can't work at this scale. They certainly don't in my hands. I had a passing thought about starting over with silkspan, but the notion of making sails AGAIN just didn't pass the test of common sense. I'm going to do the best I can with what I have and chalk it up to experience.

Other than the pending addition of sheets to the sprit sail the running rigging is complete for these first two sails/yards. Here are some pictures of the overall look:

View attachment 330231

View attachment 330232

View attachment 330233

View attachment 330221 View attachment 330222

View attachment 330223 View attachment 330224

View attachment 330225 View attachment 330226

View attachment 330227 View attachment 330229

If you have ever rigged a ship you know how challenging access can be. I like to think I have pretty good hand-eye coordination, and I work with small tools in a precision environment professionally, but I have been tested by the demands of this task. Plus, I am constantly bumping into the yards or snagging myself on lines. I haven't snapped anything off yet or cut the wrong line, but I can see that it is just a matter of time.

It is very satisfying, however, to contemplate running a particular rope and seeing the blocks needed already installed and ready to be included. I'm glad I endured weeks and weeks of tedium to now be at this stage.

Next up: I have to go back and shorten my topgallant sails before those can be installed - but then work will commence on the foremast (going to try working from the top down and see how that works).

I say it all the time, but I do mean it - it is so kind of you to stop by and visit when the opportunity arises. I am grateful that you find this particular build of interest and am encouraged to keep pressing on. My thanks.

View attachment 330234
Dear Paul
your work on the ropes and blocks and connecting them to the stays is very accurate. your sails look wonderful !
well done my friend

Excellent work Paul :cool: The redo looks really really good.There are limitations in materials and one has to accept that especially in smaller scales.Not only that, you can reach a point of diminishing returns where the extreme time expended produces minimal gain in result and none off us would ever finish anything.

What I am trying to say is carry on as you are and finish up with an exceptional model.Speaking from experience, don't try and chase the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and create perfection.I gave that up a while ago.We are out own worst critics, don't let that spoil your enjoyment of the hobby.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:

View attachment 330231

View attachment 330232

View attachment 330233

View attachment 330234
Hi Paul,
Jaw dropping is a term that comes to mind when viewing the rigging on your Vasa.
Beautiful work.

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 330231

View attachment 330232

View attachment 330233

View attachment 330234
My compliments on your great work. You also get a Thumbsup from the Admiral.

Don, Stephan, Daniel, ConsNZ, Shota, Maarten, Nigel, Stephen, Jan and all the others who posted 'likes' - thank you kindly for your encouragement and favorable review of my work. It is a pleasure to share my progress with all of you on the forum.

Beautiful work Paul. So much to be admired. Pity the depth of field is so narrow That I can't see the knots and bindings used. I agree whole heartedly about the frustration(s) of constantly getting snagged while rigging especially made worse when one has no idea what or how to rig which is very much my case and situation. Once again 'awesome work Paul' cheers.
Yup. I'm not much of a photographer. I happen to have a pretty good camera but just use the 'auto' function. I have seen photos taken with deeper depth of field and agree they are much more revealing and interesting.

Hi Paul,

As allways you are much too hard on yourselve :cool: , your sails look great. We have to keep in mind while we build in scale the laws of nature will never be in scale. Your results at this scale are excellent.
Yes...hard on myself.
But you have brought up an excellent point: the laws of nature do not operate in scale. Most obvious on my sails...they lack 'weight' because the fabric doesn't behave under gravity the way full size sails would behave. I had a similar experience when painting the decorative bits. Shadows didn't show up right on the tiny carvings, so I needed to add faux shadowing.
I have some liquid (spray-on or brush-on) fabric stiffener that I may go back and use to further refine my sails - but first I want to see how my 'open' (unfurled) sails look and then adjust everything accordingly.

Excellent work Paul :cool: The redo looks really really good.There are limitations in materials and one has to accept that especially in smaller scales.Not only that, you can reach a point of diminishing returns where the extreme time expended produces minimal gain in result and none off us would ever finish anything.

What I am trying to say is carry on as you are and finish up with an exceptional model.Speaking from experience, don't try and chase the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and create perfection.I gave that up a while ago.We are out own worst critics, don't let that spoil your enjoyment of the hobby.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Wise words Nigel. I have been known to say: perfection is the enemy of excellence. My decision to not start over on my sails is proof that I agree with everything you wrote.
For the record: I'm still enjoying my new hobby - even though I hate going back and fixing things I tried my best to do right the first time :).

Back