VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

BTW - I'm not sure what the Billings plans show but I don't believe there are buntlines on the topsails and topgallants anyway - only the square sails (says the orthodontist who didn't know a bunt line from a fishing line three months ago so whatever he says must be taken with a grain of salt...).

NOTE: I edited this post after Stephan shared the document in the next post.
Hi Paul, you are absolutely correct about no buntlines on the top and topgallant sails as well as no leech lines. Looking at Stephens @Steef66 PDF, it seems to me that brail lines and bunt lines are about the same thing in function anyway. Could be different names for different time periods. Correct me if I'm wrong, (there is a high probability I am) leech lines have a mirror image that is they occur on both sides of a sail. That is there would be 2 sets or 4 each per sail.

brail lines and bunt lines are about the same thing in function anyway. Could be different names for different time periods
correct, only not a time thing just another sail thing. On a lateen sail they are called brails because the leech lines and bunt lines are one thing together.

Hi Paul, you are absolutely correct about no buntlines on the top and topgallant sails as well as no leech lines. Looking at Stephens @Steef66 PDF, it seems to me that brail lines and bunt lines are about the same thing in function anyway. Could be different names for different time periods. Correct me if I'm wrong, (there is a high probability I am) leech lines have a mirror image that is they occur on both sides of a sail. That is there would be 2 sets or 4 each per sail.
On the course sails the museum plans show leech lines as martnets - and yes they are mirrored front and back of the sail. If you have Anderson he has a lengthy discussion about this and how they are often depicted on drawings/etchings/paintings.

Last edited:
Well, I have Anderson on my paperwhite which is not the way to study him. I will acquire a hard copy because my reader is not designed for moving back and forth without a great deal of difficulty, and the illustrations are way too small.

So, we have leech lines or martinets, or brails, or buntlines, or crossjacks or maybe Crow Jacks....hmmm

Try James Leest, better illustrated version of Anderson.
And a crow jack, yes I know by now

Good morning, everyone. I finished installation of the sails and their rigging on the mizzen mast. I used a combination of the Billings, and the Vasa Museum plans.
I purposely omitted the leech lines on both sails and the buntlines on the topsail in the interest of simplicity in the confined area. I will however include those lines on the main mast sails because there is a much greater area for these lines. I did include a hoist line for the lateen sail parrel beads which is tied off to a cleat on the base of the mizzen mast.

I believe I had a bit of dumb luck with a slight billowing of the sails, the bolt rope had just enough stiffness and combined with careful tensioning produced this billowing effect. Purely accidental but I love it.

This first set of views are of the starboard side.
View attachment 324146View attachment 324147View attachment 324148

The next set are port side views.
View attachment 324149View attachment 324150View attachment 324151

It's interesting that port side rope terminations had to be accessed from the opposite starboard side and vice versa for the starboard side. Long tweezers and patients are a must. Oh, and SLOW movements while fingers and knuckles are in the vicinity to avoid snagging all the other lines which are in the way! I can't tell you how often that happens. I will include rigging tie in photos in the future when I makeup all the rope hanks to cover the quick wrap and glue down I have right now.

Next, it's on to the main mast running rigging.
Thank for checking in and hope you enjoy.
Good morning Daniel. Just outstanding. Your detail on your Vasa is so crisp and clean, Wether it be a knot, serving, or the wood cuts. Love it! Cheers Grant

Unfortunately the topsails do not survive for Vasa, so we do not know if there were buntlines or leechlines. It is possible that the fore and main topsails were rigged with buntlines. It is also possible that martnets were used instead of leechlines, there are references as late as the 1620s for martnets on the topsails. The topgallantsails survive for both the fore and main, and these have cringles for the bowlines. If they had leechlines, these might have been rigged as a tuck through the boltrope with a buntline hitch or stopper knot, and these may not have been rigged until the sails were being bent on. One might find leechlines on the topgallantsails, since these appear in inventories of larger ships at this date, but the sails are so small and the head of the sail so short that the sail could be drawn up to the yard and into the top pretty effectively by just the clewlines. One could almost reach the topgallant yardarms while standing in the top.

The martnets on the courses were rigged both front and back, using six-hole euphroes (which survive), so there are twelve legs on each side of the sail. Busy! But leechlines may only be rigged on one side, leading to the sling cleat near the halliard tie (if on the forward side) or to a lead block on the yard (if on the back side).

Nice work on the model, Daniel! Very crisp detailing.

Fred Hocker
Vasa Museum

Cool Stephan! On the museum plans, however, I don't see lines to lift the foot of the sail on anything other than the lateen and course sails. I defer to your expertise.
On the topsails and topgallantsails, the 17th-century practice was not to furl the sail up to the yard, but into a vertical sausage in the top, against the mast, so buntlines were not helpful. The loose-footed sails (fore and main course, spritsail, mizzen) were furled up to the yard, so needed buntlines or brails to lift the foot. The main course on Vasa survives, with five evenly spaced cringles in the foot for buntlines. The spritsail also survives, but it does not have any cringles, so may not have been rigged with buntlines, or if there were buntlines, they were attached directly to the boltrope with a buntline hitch through the lay (as was usually the case with the mizzen brails, if they were not rigged on a bridle).

Fred

or if there were buntlines, they were attached directly to the boltrope with a buntline hitch through the lay
I read that the buntlines go halfway the spritsail through the sail to the back of the sail. I still find this a strange way to rig. But if the experts and paintings show it that way, who am I. It could make sence because the bowsprit isn't vertical like a mast. Was there evidence for on the Wasa?

if they were not rigged on a bridle
Can you please explain what you mean by these words? The word bridle, in Dutch I think "hoofdstel"? Makes no sence to me. Sorry I asked

I read that the buntlines go halfway the spritsail through the sail to the back of the sail. I still find this a strange way to rig. But if the experts and paintings show it that way, who am I. It could make sence because the bowsprit isn't vertical like a mast. Was there evidence for on the Wasa?

Can you please explain what you mean by these words? The word bridle, in Dutch I think "hoofdstel"? Makes no sence to me. Sorry I asked
Not sure I understand the first part entirely, but will give it a go. The surviving cloth of the spritsail does not show any evidence of this method,of rigging buntlines, but the preservation is very limited (very little cloth left), so if something went through the sail in the middle of its height, we might not know.

On later mizzens, there were short lengths of line tucked through the boltrope, with a thimble spliced into each end for the attachment of the brails, instead of tucking them through the boltrope directly. The surviving original mizzen sail from the Ö4 model in the Swedish National Maritime Museum, from about 1660, shows this method.

In general a bridle is a length of line with eyes at each end, for attaching lines to something.

Fred

@fred.hocker thanks Fred, I understand the word bridle and how the brails are attached to the boltrope.

About the spritsail, we will never know in this case. And yes, you understood my poor English well.

Unfortunately the topsails do not survive for Vasa, so we do not know if there were buntlines or leechlines. It is possible that the fore and main topsails were rigged with buntlines. It is also possible that martnets were used instead of leechlines, there are references as late as the 1620s for martnets on the topsails. The topgallantsails survive for both the fore and main, and these have cringles for the bowlines. If they had leechlines, these might have been rigged as a tuck through the boltrope with a buntline hitch or stopper knot, and these may not have been rigged until the sails were being bent on. One might find leechlines on the topgallantsails, since these appear in inventories of larger ships at this date, but the sails are so small and the head of the sail so short that the sail could be drawn up to the yard and into the top pretty effectively by just the clewlines. One could almost reach the topgallant yardarms while standing in the top.

The martnets on the courses were rigged both front and back, using six-hole euphroes (which survive), so there are twelve legs on each side of the sail. Busy! But leechlines may only be rigged on one side, leading to the sling cleat near the halliard tie (if on the forward side) or to a lead block on the yard (if on the back side).

Nice work on the model, Daniel! Very crisp detailing.

Fred Hocker
Vasa Museum
Thank you, Dr Hocker, for your kind words and valuable information on this magnificent ship. I have a long way to go in understanding all the terminology and how ships like this function. You have been a tremendous help for me in this endeavor.

Actually, the crossjack is often abbreviated as "cro'jack" by sailors.
both is possible, The Oxford dictionary uses the word Cross-jack, but I see in lot of books, especially the old ones Cro-jack or Crotchet or crojick.
The name comes from the Dutch they call it Kruis-ra and kruis-zeil (cross-yard and cross-sail) where Jack comes from is for me a riddle. But you see it use often in names like flag-jack or jackstay. Here is an old book where the name Croff jeck (ss was written in old language whit ff)

Back