VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good morning,
After seeing Paul's @dockattner post on his lateen sail I wanted to post a picture of my recently completed lateen sail which seems to be in the correct proportions and reasonably close to the 1:1 plan drawing. I have not had much time recently to devote to my Vasa, I'm doing some contract drawing work for my former employers' company owner. The yard itself is the second longest next to the main sail yard. If this appears out of scale to its relative position, please comment.

View attachment 322903
Very nice work indeed Daniel Thumbsup

Good morning,
After seeing Paul's @dockattner post on his lateen sail I wanted to post a picture of my recently completed lateen sail which seems to be in the correct proportions and reasonably close to the 1:1 plan drawing. I have not had much time recently to devote to my Vasa, I'm doing some contract drawing work for my former employers' company owner. The yard itself is the second longest next to the main sail yard. If this appears out of scale to its relative position, please comment.

View attachment 322903
Good morning Daniel. So good to see your Vasa again. Beautiful. Cheers Grant

Good morning, everyone. I finished installation of the sails and their rigging on the mizzen mast. I used a combination of the Billings, and the Vasa Museum plans.
I purposely omitted the leech lines on both sails and the buntlines on the topsail in the interest of simplicity in the confined area. I will however include those lines on the main mast sails because there is a much greater area for these lines. I did include a hoist line for the lateen sail parrel beads which is tied off to a cleat on the base of the mizzen mast.

I believe I had a bit of dumb luck with a slight billowing of the sails, the bolt rope had just enough stiffness and combined with careful tensioning produced this billowing effect. Purely accidental but I love it.

This first set of views are of the starboard side.
IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2110.jpgIMG_2111.jpg

The next set are port side views.
IMG_2112.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2114.jpg

It's interesting that port side rope terminations had to be accessed from the opposite starboard side and vice versa for the starboard side. Long tweezers and patients are a must. Oh, and SLOW movements while fingers and knuckles are in the vicinity to avoid snagging all the other lines which are in the way! I can't tell you how often that happens. I will include rigging tie in photos in the future when I makeup all the rope hanks to cover the quick wrap and glue down I have right now.

Next, it's on to the main mast running rigging.
Thank for checking in and hope you enjoy.

Wonderful to see this progress Daniel! You are building a magnificent rendition of our beloved Vasa. I appreciate your attention to detail balanced with what is reasonable to include in your build (as informed by your vision for a finished ship). Thank you for sharing your work with all of us on the forum - it's a delight to see you progressing toward the finish line.

I agree wholeheartedly with Paul. The fact that you purposely chose to omit some lines from the rigging owing to limited space, speaks of a mature approach and careful planning. The fact that you realize you are building a model and not a 1:1 version, is exactly what i meant by "mature approach".

I still wanted to add that looking at the hull, it is no wonder why I am such a fan of walnut. It is simply beautiful!

and the buntlines on the topsail in the interest of simplicity in the confined area
BTW - I'm not sure what the Billings plans show but I don't believe there are buntlines on the topsails and topgallants anyway - only the square sails (says the orthodontist who didn't know a bunt line from a fishing line three months ago so whatever he says must be taken with a grain of salt...).

NOTE: I edited this post after Stephan shared the document in the next post.

Last edited:
BTW - I'm not sure what the Billings plans show but I don't believe there are buntlines on the triangular sails anyway - only the square ones (says the orthodontist who didn't know a bunt line from a fishing line three months ago so whatever he says must be taken with a grain of salt...).
They are called brails. Look in this document I made of my research I made of the Mizzen

Attachments

• Mizen course and topsail.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
Back