VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Have a look Stephan at below publication.
I'm sure you will enjoy reading it like I did.

Another very interesting subject we are trying to explore :)
I'm reading this article, and I discover a big mistake I made when making rope.
Serafil 120/2 is Z yarn. (right handed) so to turn it into a (left handed) S strand. I need to let the rope machine turn with the clock. But in the beginning of this article Harland was talking about with the sun and mentioned that it depends on wich part of the world you are. On the south hemisphere the sun turns from left to right, clockwise. And on the north hemisphere from right to left, anti-clockwise. And there I made the mistake. Looking to my machine onto the hooks and let them turn clockwise to created S rope.
IMG_1928.JPG
But I was looking wrong, I need to look from behind of the machine into the direction of the yarn/strands. The machine was turning wrong and against the yarn. :)
the red direction in the picture will give me left handed strands S.

Know I understand the difference between cable and rope. Thanks for that.

I go further reading the article of Harland. Interresting to read.

I'm glad that we found (at least some) answers.
This kind of conversations are always very beneficial, because most of the time will lead to another session of looking at multiple sources and discovering new publications.

In term of making a ropes.

I don't even look if threads are S or Z... but as far I remember most of the threads are right handed.
Doesn't really matter.
If I have to do hawser rope from single threads, so 3x1 from let say Serafil... I will just put 3 threads and start untwisting from Z to S... and then when is twisted nicely and tight to opposite side and I have 3 left handed strands I'm ready to make hawser, so right handed rope or Z as alternative twist direction name.

If I have to do thicker rope, then I'm just putting on the hooks as many threads as needed, for example 3x10 and I'm ready to do S twist strands for rope.
When it's done... and strands are nice and tight... then it's time to make hawser.

Anyway... if you will need some help let me know. I'm happy to clarify if something will cause you some problems.

Cheers,
Matt

This part is now very clear to me. Thanks.
Strange, ¾ year ago, I didn"t know nothing about rope making. Somebody asked me to design a ropewalk for his shop, that became a succes. And started to make rope. And now I can make rope S and Z twist, cable and go on. Everybody should give this a try. Make your own rope is great to do and looks much better then the most rope they sell in the shops.

Very small update. Modelling at the moment is difficult. Because of the bad weather conditions and osteoarthritis in hands and arms is this not the best time in the year to do things. So time enough to do the translation for Ab, but also I'm writing for the magazine "De Modelbouwer" an article about the serving tool, ropewalk and the Spanish Galleon. This takes time too.

A few lines where made.
I make sure that the shrouds are fixed to the paper mold.

IMG_2045.JPG

Final one side of the main is ready. My fingers working again after a bad period.

The trunks are made of toothpicks they are ca. 3x1,5 mm
the ropes are 1 and 0,5 mm dark brown.
Sorry about the bad quality of the pictures. Besides my last name suggest I'm no photographer.

IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2144.JPG

I am glad to see that you are better and back at work on the Prins Willem. The ratlines look beautiful and accurate - just what I have come to expect of you! Thumbsup

The rope used for the ratlines of the mainshrouds are to thick..............
For the mizzen to, but only 0,05 mm. So I will start over on the main. I will try to get the ratlines on the mainshroud of. Hope it will work. When not I need to replacement the shrouds too...........

Bad mistake. The ratlines are 1,5 inch in circumference
In my scale this means a diameter of 0,15 to 0,25 mm.

The rope used for the ratlines of the mainshrouds are to thick..............
For the mizzen to, but only 0,05 mm. So I will start over on the main. I will try to get the ratlines on the mainshroud of. Hope it will work. When not I need to replacement the shrouds too...........

Bad mistake. The ratlines are 1,5 inch in circumference
In my scale this means a diameter of 0,15 to 0,25 mm.
It's true devotion to the hobby when you choose to go back and correct the ratlines! RESPECT.

Amazing adherence to accuracy Stephan. When I saw your posting on Modelbouwforum where you said you will correct it on your NEXT model, I thought to myself - no way - Stephan will not let this be ... Respect and admiration my friend!ThumbsupThumbsup

Thanks all for the likes and compliments about my devotion to redo all the work. But maybe I am just suffering from a compulsive neurosis. :cool:

Just half a shroud to be done. The glue is only on the front of the knot. So I can cut the knot on the back and break him of the shroud rope. Very precise work, mistake is lurking around the corner. Parts of glue that don't come of I remove with acetone. It works fine.

The futtock stays and is the reference point when I start again. First I have to do is making new rope.

IMG_2148.JPG

Back