VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

A few pictures of the mess. It all looks worse than it is.

IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG

This is the biggest problem to get the rope between the other ones.

IMG_2153.JPG

and a lot of cleaning of course.

IMG_2155.JPG

X.. I accidentally cut in half together with the side tackle Sleep Yes that was stupid. Don't asked me why I did that. :)
And Y.. was covered with to much glue, it was unravel and needed to be replaced. I hope to show you soon the end result.

Stephan you have done this because you want things to be right. The little mishaps on the way will happen. When I damaged my hull when drilling the holes for the ornamentation, you told me that the true sign of quality id how well you can repair and rectify a mistake. I know you can do this! And I also know that it will only be for the good!

The damage is repaired, you can't see where it was. That means it is gone well. Also give the deck a little clean-up.
We can start with the ratlines. This time I use rope that is 0,2 mm thick made of 2 threads of Serafil 120/2
IMG_2157.JPGIMG_2158.JPGIMG_2160.JPGIMG_2161.JPGIMG_2162.JPG

Similar experiences with the thinner ropes for ratlines. In my opinion it also extends to shrouds and stays.
Apparently it's a very sensitive and small area where it's either too thin, too thick or just about right.
You're now in the "just about right" zone, IMHO.
Nice job, also with the shrouds. Thumbs-Up

Johan

Hello,
this will be a wonderful model. I also like the rigging very much.
What kind of yarn do you use to make the ropes?
Hi Johann, Thanks for the compliment and visiting my log. I use Serafil 120/2 of Amann to make my rope on my self-made rope walk. I also bake the rope in an oven to prevent it from fraying.

Fantastic Stephan! Of course the ratlines are thinner - but I believe what makes all the difference in the world is the size of the clove hitches. You did the right thing and now have everything in scale. Bravo!
Thanks Paul, yes I'm also very satisfied about the clove hitches. They're nearly vissible.
WOW! A complete turnover! I agree with Gennaro, well worth the effort. You have got rewarded, for sure! Thumbs-UpThumbs-Up
thanks Jim, yes the result is worth the extra work. A lot of work.
Similar experiences with the thinner ropes for ratlines. In my opinion it also extends to shrouds and stays.
Apparently it's a very sensitive and small area where it's either too thin, too thick or just about right.
You're now in the "just about right" zone, IMHO.
Nice job, also with the shrouds. Thumbs-Up

Johan
Thanks Johan, 0,12 is to small (single Serafil threat) 0,30 is just to big (3x1 Serafil) 2x1 is just right. 0,2 mm in diameter.
Beautiful! It was worth the effort.
Thanks Gennaro.

Unfortunately, I have not made much progress since the last photo. The washing machine short-circuited and the condenser drier leaked water. So I spent a lot of time on that the last few days. And it is Formula 1 weekend. I hope to be able to show you an update soon.

Back