VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Hard to believe you served them by hand. Btw, I've got the same problem as you regarding hands - my ancestors were definitely not pianists, most likely sausage makers. Fantastic job Stephan.
...anything involves the sausage\s and all attributes associated with them - I am a big fan!! Please continue this discussion....please :) I was raised on those sausages, cannot stop loving them.

Thanks Peter and Kurt.

Catherpins.The only thing I can say is, start as early as possible in the construction of your rig.
Otherwise you end up like me. breaking my nerves
Special constructed tool :)
View attachment 271782

secured between the shrouds
View attachment 271783

Put the rope between the shrouds through the 2 eyes
View attachment 271784View attachment 271785

secure on outer side of the eyes by a binding
View attachment 271786

cut the tool away
View attachment 271787

repair the tool and use again for a second time
View attachment 271788View attachment 271789View attachment 271790View attachment 271791

and now just wrap it up with rope (next time)
Absolutely brilliant! This is how you think outside of the box, gentlemen.

@All thanks everybody for the likes and nice words. They keep a person going on.
By the last one I needed 1 tweezer, because the mast was in the way and I couldn't reach it with 2 hands.
IMG_2200.JPG

And now starting to replace the trunks and place the lower catherpins. Be continue.

@All thanks everybody for the likes and nice words. They keep a person going on.
By the last one I needed 1 tweezer, because the mast was in the way and I couldn't reach it with 2 hands.
View attachment 271967

And now starting to replace the trunks and place the lower catherpins. Be continue.
Also with the tweezer is the result beautiful, Stephan.
Regards, Peter

@All thanks for the kind words and all the likes.

Today (and yesterday) I worked on the lover catherpins. And I can say they are ready. The pictures show the procedure. Making a grommet and the deadeyes on the grommet you can find in the beautiful log of @Andrey Kudin Link

IMG_2203.JPGIMG_2204.JPGIMG_2208.JPGIMG_2209.JPGIMG_2210.JPGIMG_2211.JPGIMG_2212.JPGIMG_2213.JPGIMG_2214.JPGIMG_2215.JPG

Focus on the deck :(
IMG_2216.JPG

And now we have to put the trunks back for the third time. Redface I think this will be tomorrow

@All thanks for the many likes :)

Today I'm studying about the lead of the lower halliards.

On the museum model it looks like this:

f1112t6795p166823n12_zhneuXIc.jpg

The book of Ketting:

dekknecht.jpg

pretty much the same. But this makes no sence to me. Yes the lead is okay but the direction gives me doubts. The capstan is standing behind the knight and the lifting part of hoist wil go in front to the mast. For me is that strange because the yard will be raised and lowered by using the capstan. And the rope will start the other way around like Anderson discribes

Anderson knight.jpg

With this info I will make the construction not like the model but like Anderson describes. Starting on an eye on the deck next/behind the knight, up to the rams head from aft forwards. Then through the knight from the front backwards, so I will end in the last way to the back in the direction of the capstan. I will belay this lifting part on the head of the knight.

If I'm wrong please tell me.

@All thanks again for watching my blog

I use a rope for the halliard that is long enough to let the rams head go up to the top and around the capstan. That rope coil I make in place. I wrap the rope around an old rope spool. Then tied with a needle and thread. I only have to glue it in place.

IMG_2227.JPGIMG_2228.JPGIMG_2229.JPGIMG_2230.JPG

@All thanks again for watching my blog

I use a rope for the halliard that is long enough to let the rams head go up to the top and around the capstan. That rope coil I make in place. I wrap the rope around an old rope spool. Then tied with a needle and thread. I only have to glue it in place.

View attachment 272567View attachment 272568View attachment 272569View attachment 272570
Nice work, Stephan.
The admiral just walked into my shop. Looking to the ship and said. "Wow, nice and you're almost ready I see." ROTFROTFROTF
And you said the same about her knitting?
Regards, Peter

Back