VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

These pulleys are already functional!!! I allowed myself a picture with a function. I would add more space for guiding the rope from the wheels. Green ...;)

I keep my fingers crossed !!! Thumbs-Up
View attachment 228687

View attachment 228688
Yes I already did :)
In post #104 you see on the right a chissel and I used that to make a tiny space for the rope. The blocks I made before I did this with the Electric cutter, no succes. But that little chissel does the job perfect.
Pictures I wil post with next update.
Thanks for your advice, it is welcome. Keep on doing Thumbsup

I started with the practise of grommets and eye splice. Some rope to get the knots. Never did this before. I think the eye splice (1) is correct, but the grommet (2) is not. I used the method @KUDIN explained. But looking to @mati.n his grommets they look if they made on another method.
Yes the rope must be serving, that is no problem I know how to do that. This post is about practise the knots.
Maybe I should need a little more practise doing.

IMG_1575.JPG

I started with the practise of grommets and eye splice. Some rope to get the knots. Never did this before. I think the eye splice (1) is correct, but the grommet (2) is not. I used the method @KUDIN explained. But looking to @mati.n his grommets they look if they made on another method.
Yes the rope must be serving, that is no problem I know how to do that. This post is about practise the knots.
Maybe I should need a little more practise doing.

View attachment 229047
I'm keeping my fingers crossed! You continue nicely and quickly. Take a look at Mati's photos again, these ropes are usually wrapped in a weak rope ..

Here are Rope replicas of Batavia..

Batavia...jpg

See a detailed plan of the ship De 7 provincien here..

http://www.otteblom.nl/tekeningen/

Hi Stephan,

I'm lazy bastard, so my eye splices are simply glued ROTF just one end is cut at angle to be able to form some sort of "tear shape".
For 0,3mm, 0,4mm or 0,5mm ropes it's ok... hardly you can see the joint... you will need big magnification glass :)

If rope is served... and I need to do eye splice I'm doing the same, cut one end at angle and form eye, CA glue... and eye splice done.
...same story with blocks stropping (served or not). I'm cutting desire length of the rope for strop, micro drop of CA glue and connecting two ends to have a loop.
Most of the time I'm hiding the joint under the seizing :p

Splicing it's another art in our hobby... but I'm finding this to be reasonable only with thicker diameter of ropes.
Other then that I'm cheating ROTF

@Ondras71 - would you be so kind and drop the link for website with Batavia photos. Once I found nice gallery... and I've lost the link and couldn't find it back after some time.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Stephan,

I'm lazy bastard, so my eye splices are simply glued ROTF just one end is cut at angle to be able to form some sort of "tear shape".
For 0,3mm, 0,4mm or 0,5mm ropes it's ok... hardly you can see the joint... you will need big magnification glass :)

If rope is served... and I need to do eye splice I'm doing the same, cut one end at angle and form eye, CA glue... and eye splice done.
...same story with blocks stropping (served or not). I'm cutting desire length of the rope for strop, micro drop of CA glue and connecting two ends to have a loop.
Most of the time I'm hiding the joint under the seizing :p

Splicing it's another art in our hobby... but I'm finding this to be reasonable only with thicker diameter of ropes.
Other then that I'm cheating ROTF

@Ondras71 - would you be so kind and drop the link for website with Batavia photos. Once I found nice gallery... and I've lost the link and couldn't find it back after some time.

Cheers,
Matt
I already thought so. Because I study your pictures and couldn't find the joint or the thicker parts where they are joint. :cool:
But a good idea, so small, nobody can tell the difference. I follow your way on the smal parts. The bigger ropes will be correct to show off.
Don't tell anyone......ROTF

Everybody thanks for al the likes that I got the past days :D

Rope that is backed in the oven works better than rope that is backed with a heat gun (paint stripper)
The sand colour rope before was done with a paint stripper.
This rope below (black 1 mm) is backed in the oven and the shape is perfect when unravelled.

First try, just one mistake the diameter of the grommet or the length of the rope was a little to short.
But it was practise for the right scale of the main mast. The block is also incorrect mounted.

IMG_2.jpg

Next try, is include serving.
The blacks will change colour to, I think dark brown. The boxwood is to light. Ecoline of Talens seems to me the rigt product to paint al the blocks on the ship in the same colour. Because the blocks that I use are al of different kind of wood (boxwood, pear, cherry and nut). I don't like to throw away stuff/scratch.

Last edited:
Nicely done ;)

...but this uniform black color of the ropes... it's just sooooo black :oops: ROTF

You've mentioned that you very using same color of the ropes earlier on the model so you have to continue.
Also you said that for the next model you'll go with tarred and worn look so I'll hold you to that ;)

Good luck with other ropes ;)

By the way.... If you have some major or nasty glue mess on the rope you can tone down the shine with black weathering pigment ;)

Today I redone my serving tool.
old one
IMG_0315.JPG

The problem with this one was that I couldn't tension the rope tight enough through the crocodile beaks. Sometimes they let go of the rope or the tension drops.

The new one works better and I have place to install an electric motor. And eventually a automatic rope feed.

IMG_1590.JPGIMG_1591.JPGIMG_1592.JPGIMG_1593.JPG

Hello Steff. Very nicely made wrapped and unwrapped blocks!! Thumbs-Up

As Mati suggested, here is a link to photos of a replica of Batavia. Informative ..

And here I found an interactive tour on board Batavia ..

It was a day work but I'm satisfy about the result. It is not my idea, just copy it from what I saw. I was always thinking to get such thing fishermen use to serve the top of their fishing rod. Looks similar to this tool. Yes and it works at the first try.

IMG_1596.JPGIMG_1597.JPG

and a short video
I tried to connect a motor, but the threaded rod humps up and down, because it is not straight. I think a brass or aluminium pipe will do a better job.

Back