Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

….. and enough time to spend on those little buggers to be rigged ……… ;):)
Yup, it’s turned into a major project. First the research, then the thinking, then the effort.

I found a lot of interesting methods to consider how to get consistent results. I finally settled on a small jig.

36FE15F9-343C-476E-8912-AB15B7241E1F.jpeg
59B2C658-B74A-4001-AFE6-4028B66C399E.jpeg

NOTE the opposing prongs,

The upper and lower deadeyes mounted on the jig.

E46977B0-04B8-49B4-BCF7-26C3E51AAF6C.jpeg

The reason for the opposing prongs is shown in the next photo.

41316F03-01F1-4FEF-8445-CCDD4E8E5107.jpeg

It was much easier to work with the upper deadeye facing forward. My process was place the lower deadeye in the hull, wrap the shroud line around the upper deadeye and tie it off, align the assembly and tap in a nail to hold the lower deadeye in place, remove the jig and thread the lanyard.

925A1FFB-908A-4D49-985B-15546C0A9F24.jpeg

It took about ten minutes to do both of these, much, much better than my other Do’s and Re-Do’s of the past few days.

The jig may look ugly, etc. But it’s working for me.

Jan

Excellent, Jan! I am glad you find a solution that works for you. You now see the value of placing all the deadeyes first, that way it is so much easier to get the heights and alignment correct. Those first two look great!

Excellent, Jan! I am glad you find a solution that works for you. You now see the value of placing all the deadeyes first, that way it is so much easier to get the heights and alignment correct. Those first two look great!
I find it humorous that once I find a solution the work progresses very quickly. I'm still a "Novice" and learning as I go.

Jan

Great work on your first two pesky deadeyes Jan. :) :)
I have to confess that this type of rigging exercise is not top on my favorite things to do list.

D0D31C4E-FCF0-4F2E-A5B6-B446E5E3C5CB.jpeg

I do one and walk away for bit. I thought that I had the routine figured out, but with big fumbly fingers, small parts, many bad words, etc.,I do have seven out of twenty eight done. :rolleyes:

Jan

Last edited:
Oooh sh...; yep, that's the wrong side. :oops:
Yup, got on the wrong side of the front edge. I think a good fix is adding a couple of 1mm pieces to each side and then tapering the right “front” edge.

I noticed the problem this morning when got ready to scribe the vertical plank lines into the rudder. We will see how the “Re-Do” works.

Jan

Hmm, not shipbuilding related but interesting.

We just had a ten minute or so shower of “Graupel”. Meteorologists refer to it as not hail but as a drop of water frozen to snowflakes. It looks like very tiny pieces of styrofoam as it floats down from the clouds. It melts almost immediately since the current temperature is 47F

Back