Working Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1:24th scale

Forecastle Hoodway part 2.

With most of the parts made I started trying to figure out how to assemble the Forecastle hoodway, remembering that I need to be able to open up the Forecastle hoodway as much as possible to allow a reasonable air flow through into the hull, when the steam plant is installed.

I marked out then carefully cut out the notch in the roof.
DSC_0448 (2).JPG

Using a spacer I was able to temporally clamp things together, checking that there is sufficient clearance for the sliding hood to operate.
DSC_0450 (2).JPG

After some adjusting of the sides to reduce vertical clearance I made the leap and glued a couple of bits together.
DSC_0451 (2).JPG

Then glued the other side and roof on, leaving out the sliding hood so there would be no risk of gluing it and also give me the opportunity to clean up any excess glue where it runs. After the main gluing was done I sanded the roof flush with the sides and general cleaned things up.
DSC_0454.JPG

Next I glued the side guide rails one at a time, using a piece of ply with sticky tape wrapped around to prevent being glued in, each of these gluing operations were done while leaving them overnight to dry, meaning it took a few days to assemble.
DSC_0456 (2).JPG

I wanted to simulate planking on the roof and sliding hatch and after carefully marking out I scribe the lines.
DSC_0457 (2).JPGDSC_0458 (2).JPG

With the hasp and staple glued on the hoodway it is nearing completion only needs little bits glued in to stop the sliding hood coming out, that will be after painting the colour.
DSC_0462 (2).JPG

That will do it for this one, next time some painting, thanks for looking in and reading my ramblings or just looking at the photo’s and stay safe.

Happy new year.

Cheers,

Stephen.

With most of the parts made I started trying to figure out how to assemble the Forecastle hoodway, remembering that I need to be able to open up the Forecastle hoodway as much as possible to allow a reasonable air flow through into the hull, when the steam plant is installed.

View attachment 280491

Using a spacer I was able to temporally clamp things together, checking that there is sufficient clearance for the sliding hood to operate.
View attachment 280492

After some adjusting of the sides to reduce vertical clearance I made the leap and glued a couple of bits together.
View attachment 280493

Then glued the other side and roof on, leaving out the sliding hood so there would be no risk of gluing it and also give me the opportunity to clean up any excess glue where it runs. After the main gluing was done I sanded the roof flush with the sides and general cleaned things up.
View attachment 280494

Next I glued the side guide rails one at a time, using a piece of ply with sticky tape wrapped around to prevent being glued in, each of these gluing operations were done while leaving them overnight to dry, meaning it took a few days to assemble.
View attachment 280495

I wanted to simulate planking on the roof and sliding hatch and after carefully marking out I scribe the lines.
View attachment 280496View attachment 280497

With the hasp and staple glued on the hoodway it is nearing completion only needs little bits glued in to stop the sliding hood coming out, that will be after painting the colour.
View attachment 280498

That will do it for this one, next time some painting, thanks for looking in and reading my ramblings or just looking at the photo’s and stay safe.

Happy new year.

Cheers,

Stephen.
You have crafted an excellently detailed hatchway. Rich

I don't think anyone in the world could have done that any better, Stephen! You can be very happy with that and I can only imagine (actually, I can't :)), how stunning it will look when it is painted. I have to keep on reminding myself that these are miniscule parts you are working with and to have an assembly like that fully functional is just the cherry on top!

I don't think anyone in the world could have done that any better, Stephen! You can be very happy with that and I can only imagine (actually, I can't :)), how stunning it will look when it is painted. I have to keep on reminding myself that these are miniscule parts you are working with and to have an assembly like that fully functional is just the cherry on top!
Thanks once more for your glowing report Heinrich,
I am quite happy with what I have made as well, I hope you will not be disappointed with the painting.
In some ways the parts are a reasonable size due to the large scale.

Cheers,
Stephen.

View attachment 280491

View attachment 280492

View attachment 280493

View attachment 280494

View attachment 280495

View attachment 280496View attachment 280497

View attachment 280498

Happy new year.

Cheers,

Stephen.
I have enjoyed the developing and creating of this access. Hat off, Stephen. Okay
Regards, Peter

I don't know if the SoS does auto translate or not.
SOS uses one of the sophisticated 'Forum' software for sure, but I have to disappoint you, it doesn't auto-translate. Most times, mods and admins translate. If you are using a Google browser, you can set up to automagically translate the entire page to your preferred language.
But we asked again if you using your foreign language to post, please translate using 'Google', it will make the post much valuable and interesting to others.

SOS uses one of the sophisticated 'Forum' software for sure, but I have to disappoint you, it doesn't auto-translate. Most times, mods and admins translate. If you are using a Google browser, you can set up to automagically translate the entire page to your preferred language.
But we asked again if you using your foreign language to post, please translate using 'Google', it will make the post much valuable and interesting to others.
Down load a translator app for you phone to scan/translate in real time the translation from one language to your own. Sometimes it doesn't work but it will give you the main concept. Rich

Back