YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is a most interesting story Stephen! Having Chinese family I am sure that you are very well au-fait with the hospitality that is so typical of Chinese families! Funny thing is, even though Nantong (where I stay) is only about a three hours' drive from Shanghai, I have yet to visit there. The sampan has already been commissioned - I am just waiting on a specially 3-D printed and painted oven to add and then it's all systems go. I will be sad to see her leave though.

Built another one for you. The third one is always the best. :)

1st.... trash can
2nd .... at the Exposition.
3rd... "the best one" in your living room !!!

At the end It wasn't so difficult to do and isn't an expensive kit.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi Heinrich,

Sipping on my morning coffee and catching up on your build log.

Wow, that little cooker is a great addition to your fabulous build. I’m positive that with all your research and accumulated knowledge of the Tanka Sampans your speaking engagement will be a resounding success.

Jan

Nice work of an interesting subject. Too bad so much of Chinese history was lost forever. One of the oldest and largest cultures.
Thank you very much for the kind words (please accept my apologies for not knowing your first name). You are so right about disappearing aspects of the Chinese culture. There is little that can stand up to the effects of globalization.

Hi Heinrich,

Sipping on my morning coffee and catching up on your build log.

Wow, that little cooker is a great addition to your fabulous build. I’m positive that with all your research and accumulated knowledge of the Tanka Sampans your speaking engagement will be a resounding success.

Jan
Hello Jan. I think the cooker will just be what the doctor ordered to make that rear compartment not look so empty. Enjoy your coffee. I have just finished my working day - it is already 21H46 in China.

YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]​

Hello Heinrich, I am very sorry that I have not commented on this wonderful​

@DARIVS ARCHITECTVS Dear Kurt Thank you for visiting my log.

It is interesting that you should say that. Verlinden Productions in the Netherlands actually produced two different Vietnamese War sampans in 1:35 scale. Apparently these models are very accurate and of high-quality, but whether they are still produced, I have no idea. They are, however, available on EBay.

View attachment 243251

View attachment 243256

YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]​

Hello Heinrich, I am very sorry that I have not commented on this wonderful Sampan along with the great moving stories that you gave added to your build log, it almost makes it feel like being a part of these hard working people.​

I have not been at all my best this last month or so due to a stubborn unary problem that keeps reoccurring this last 6 weeks or so. Then my Admiral Bernadette slipped and fell off the dock ramp into the rocks and water below resulting in 36 stitches and 55 staples, and a stay over night in the Sudbury Hospital, and loosing a lot of blood. Now I am truly stressed out. We arrived home a week ago Sat. and have not had the energy to work on my display case for my Oliver Cromwell that is almost completed. It still needs to be sanded, stained and several coats of varnish. The door is also built but not hinged and the latches not yet installed. Not rely that much to do but I do not have the the get up and go to complete it now at the present time.
One of my joys this past month has been looking over your Sampan build along with the Tanka people that are able to live out there whole lives on such a small boat,A very adaptable group of people, I am very much impressed with just how they are able to do this and also seam so happy and content.
I am starting to feel a bit better so will try to stop by more often on your very nice and interesting build log.
Regards Lawrence

PS I still hope to be able to start my YQ - Bluenose this coming Sept.

Hello Heinrich.
I just spent the last hour going over your magnificent Sampan log and I want to say thank you for sharing the wonderful history lesson that accompanied it.
I want to also thank @PT-2 (Rich) for sharing the You Tube video. The Chinese way of life has always been enigmatic to me, their written language is so complex it just blows my mind. You now have me interested in Tung oil which I'm going to have to experiment with on some walnut. Thank you as well for your work as a staff member for this awesome SOS forum, it adds such depth, friendships, and learning to this hobby.

@Canoe21 Dear Lawrence - my old friend - please do not worry for one bit. I obviously knew (and have commented) about Bernadette, but was unaware of your personal health issues. These days when I wish someone a happy birthday, I always conclude by wishing for health, because that must surely be the most important factor determining the quality of our lives. Thank you for your most kind comments about the sampan. I am very happy and humbled by how well this build has turned out. It has given me a tremendous sense of satisfaction to know that in whatever small a way, I could bring the plight of the Tanka people to the attention of our SOS members. Here's to you and Bernadette's health my friend ... and Bluenose can wait until you are ready and fighting fit for her. Remember, you can't start the build without the little guys and I hope they are also enjoying a bit of a rest.

@Daniel20 Dear Daniel. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments - I am truly humbled by them. The Chinese culture is indeed worthy of admiration with history stemming back to thousands of years ago, most certainly a very enigmatic one. I have given up writing Chinese - it is just too complex - and that is withoiut even taking the thousands of different dialects into account.

Tung Oil is an absolute wonderful finish to work with, but one that is not without its quirks. The main thing with tung is to understand that you are never really finished once you have applied it. It is now well after a month since I have finished the sampan and the tung is still changing the appearance and tone of the wood. The second thing is that nothing will adhere to a surface to which tung oil has been applied - so please make very very sure that you have finished gluing everything that needs to be glued before applying the tung oil. I will also Tung on the unpainted part of my Haarlem (which is also walnut). I have no doubt that it will effect a superb finish on your already stunning-looking Vasa.

As to my work on the forum - thank you. Members like you make it all worthwhile my friend!

So while I continue the Haarlem, Mike has been busy on the ovens.

1630506607_5745_FT37174_img_1435.jpg

Here we have 4 Sampan Ovens and 2 Bluenose wheels getting the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer treatment. After this dries, the parts will be flipped over to primer the other side.

1630677480_5745_FT37174_img_1438.jpg

The next step after priming was to punch some simulated holes into the bottom of the ovens. The ovens are basically steel buckets lined with clay. Coals are burned in the bottom and air is vented through the holes. There will be a carrying handle that has not yet been installed.

1630677551_5745_FT37174_1charcoal_goes_inside_here_1.jpg

1630677561_5745_FT37174_tao-oven-charcoal_1_1.jpg

Next, Mike airbrushed the inside of the ovens with Vallejo Orange Brown and the two Bluenose wheels in Vallejo Bronze.

1630699892_5745_FT37174_img_1440.jpg

Hello Heinrich

Nice model and nice history
A Few Years ago I actually worked in China Along the Pearl River in a Place called Sheko.
These nomads used to stay in the harbour for a few days repairing nets etc and then back out to fish.
I saw them also on the river fishing when coming in from Hong Kong on the ferry.
A couple of pictures for you from the area I worked showing a few of these people and theirIMGP1342.JPGIMGP1343.JPG sampans

@Robert B Wow! Thank you so much for the pictures Robert! Shekou is close to (actually it's part of) Shenzhen which is about a two hours' drive from Nantong! I just love this area of China!

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update on the ovens.

Mike has wrapped the first sampan oven in Cap'n Butch Scale Models Self Adhesive Aluminum covering. This material is typically used for model aircraft and is a bit thicker than your usual metal foil coverings. Obviously the weathering and /or dirtying of the oven still needs to be done, but it is already starting to look most promising! In particular I like the texture that is both prevalent on the out-and inside of the oven.

1631128444_5745_FT37174_img_1446.jpg

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update on the ovens.

Mike has wrapped the first sampan oven in Cap'n Butch Scale Models Self Adhesive Aluminum covering. This material is typically used for model aircraft and is a bit thicker than your usual metal foil coverings. Obviously the weathering and /or dirtying of the oven still needs to be done, but it is already starting to look most promising! In particular I like the texture that is both prevalent on the out-and inside of the oven.

View attachment 255391
The self-adhesive aluminum was/is unfamiliar to me but I am glad to know about it now. I was previously worried about gluing regular aluminum foils to wood but this seems like it would solve that problem. Nice done and I will place my lunch order when it is operational. Rich

Back