YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]

OUTSTANDING. Another great history lesson and a very spectacular outcome.

Jan
Thank you my dear friend. If all goes to plan, I might actually be able to finish her tomorrow. The wood obviously has to receive a "final" coating of Tung Oil (even though it is never really final as I will explain) , but barring that, a finish is on the cards.

Excellent, you must be pleased with your work. Is the Haarlem next or will it be another sampan?

Jan
Jan to be very honest - I actually do not know. I will continue work on the Haarlem for the time being. The next sampan will have to be a complete scratch build and for that I need the help of someone versed in CAD who can convert the drawings into actual plans. So, definitely the Haarlem for now.

Jan to be very honest - I actually do not know. I will continue work on the Haarlem for the time being. The next sampan will have to be a complete scratch build and for that I need the help of someone versed in CAD who can convert the drawings into actual plans. So, definitely the Haarlem for now.
Your deep interest and commitment with your approach to this Sampan comes across the waves in your descriptive commentary which carries us along with you in this voyage of discovery. Thanks for the time that you make for us. Rich

@PT-2 Dear Rich. Thank you for the wonderful comments. Actually, it is me who is honoured to have such a wonderful group of members joining me in the build. That makes my journey so much more special and immensely gratifying.

Onwards with the rigging.

微信图片_20210801195512.jpg

Let us learn some Junk Rig terminology. ROTF

This excerpt is taken from an excellent article on the Junk Rig by http://kastenmarine.com/junk_rig.htm

A minor advantage of familiarity with the junk rig is being able to impress dock side wags by knowing all about lizards, sheetlets, euphroes, snotters, and the like....!

The sail shape is controlled by each of the individual sheets. Each "sheetlet" runs through a "euphroe" which acts as friction block to keep the tension set as intended.

Euphroe.jpg
A nice picture of the Euphroe.

Once the sail is raised, if it is desired to tension the sail vertically, it is hauled downward by a "downhaul" or "bowsing tackle." If it is desired to move the sail forward or aft, it can be done by controlling the "out haul" which in this case leads forward to the leading edge of the battens. The top yard can be controlled via a line called the "snotter" to move the spar forward or aft, or to snug it against the mast, as needed.

Reefed_Junk.jpg

A reefed sampan in Hong Kong harbour.

Webber_Sampan.jpg

Almost never seen in books -- one of the earliest drawings of a large sampan, by John Webber, who sailed with Captain Cook. Although two-masted, longer, and lower it still has the same general profile as the small sampans. Drawings and photos from 100 to 150 years later show that these boats changed almost not at all.
Compare Webber's drawing to this large sampan photographed in the Philippines by someone from the US Coast Survey, early 1900s.

philippine_sampan.jpg

Philippine Sampan

And now with all of that done it is simply a case of picking up the whole sail assembly and mounting the mast in the sampan. This the easiest thing to do you can imagine. Then the lizard block needs to be attached to the block which has previously been mounted next to the mast and the two Euphroe lines need to be connected to the block which has previously been mounted at the stern right next to the Yuloh. And with that done - almost half unexpectedly - the fat lady had sung.

微信图片_20210803112907.jpg

微信图片_20210803112858.jpg

微信图片_20210804160655.jpg

This picture clearly shows how the lizard block is attached to the block right next to the mast via another lanyard.

微信图片_20210804160708 (2).jpg

微信图片_20210804160637.jpg

微信图片_20210804160701.jpg

In due course I will get a professional photographer to take some proper pictures, but with the Covid situation the way it is at the moment, no one knows when that will be. Neither do I know when she will find her final resting place in Shatian in Guangdong.

What I do know though, is that this sampan has changed the way I look at modelbuilding. Never before have I had so much enjoyment in my building - to such an extent that instead of today being a happy day upon its conclusion, I feel actually quite sad. Never again will I build a model just to build a model. Unless it has a specific meaning or significance to me (the Dutch uses the word "binding"), it will stay on the shelf.

As to the future of the Tanka people and what it holds for them - no one knows. But in my own, miniscule way, I have at least introduced 24 wonderful SOS members to the plight of the Tanka. For that opportunity, I thank SOS and I thank you all for your wonderful support.

Until next time, keep well my friends!

Heinrich

@Heinrich,

I have to “echo” my previous comment. OUTSTANDING.

Your skills have resulted in a superb replication of a piece of history while also providing a narrative on a subject I had no knowledge off.

Thanks again for your log.

Jan

@Pathfinder65 Thank you so much Jan! You know that you were instrumental in this build and in the support that you have always given me. I am honored and eternally grateful to be able to call you my friend! Thank you so much!

Onwards with the rigging.

View attachment 248078

Let us learn some Junk Rig terminology. ROTF

This excerpt is taken from an excellent article on the Junk Rig by http://kastenmarine.com/junk_rig.htm

A minor advantage of familiarity with the junk rig is being able to impress dock side wags by knowing all about lizards, sheetlets, euphroes, snotters, and the like....!

The sail shape is controlled by each of the individual sheets. Each "sheetlet" runs through a "euphroe" which acts as friction block to keep the tension set as intended.

View attachment 248079
A nice picture of the Euphroe.

Once the sail is raised, if it is desired to tension the sail vertically, it is hauled downward by a "downhaul" or "bowsing tackle." If it is desired to move the sail forward or aft, it can be done by controlling the "out haul" which in this case leads forward to the leading edge of the battens. The top yard can be controlled via a line called the "snotter" to move the spar forward or aft, or to snug it against the mast, as needed.

View attachment 248087

A reefed sampan in Hong Kong harbour.

View attachment 248088

Almost never seen in books -- one of the earliest drawings of a large sampan, by John Webber, who sailed with Captain Cook. Although two-masted, longer, and lower it still has the same general profile as the small sampans. Drawings and photos from 100 to 150 years later show that these boats changed almost not at all.
Compare Webber's drawing to this large sampan photographed in the Philippines by someone from the US Coast Survey, early 1900s.

View attachment 248089

Philippine Sampan

And now with all of that done it is simply a case of picking up the whole sail assembly and mounting the mast in the sampan. This the easiest thing to do you can imagine. Then the lizard block needs to be attached to the block which has previously been mounted next to the mast and the two Euphroe lines need to be connected to the block which has previously been mounted at the stern right next to the Yuloh. And with that done - almost half unexpectedly - the fat lady had sung.

View attachment 248091

View attachment 248092

View attachment 248093

This picture clearly shows how the lizard block is attached to the block right next to the mast via another lanyard.

View attachment 248094

View attachment 248095

View attachment 248096

In due course I will get a professional photographer to take some proper pictures, but with the Covid situation the way it is at the moment, no one knows when that will be. Neither do I know when she will find her final resting place in Shatian in Guangdong.

What I do know though, is that this sampan has changed the way I look at modelbuilding. Never before have I had so much enjoyment in my building - to such an extent that instead of today being a happy day upon its conclusion, I feel actually quite sad. Never again will I build a model just to build a model. Unless it has a specific meaning or significance to me (the Dutch uses the word "binding"), it will stay on the shelf.

As to the future of the Tanka people and what it holds for them - no one knows. But in my own, miniscule way, I have at least introduced 24 wonderful SOS members to the plight of the Tanka. For that opportunity, I thank SOS and I thank you all for your wonderful support.

Until next time, keep well my friends!

Heinrich
Very well done. If only all other ships rigging were as user friendly…lol. But she’s a beautiful little boat. I enjoyed the history and the build. ;)

@Dean62 Thank you very much Dean! Yes, the rigging is very simple (as indeed all junks are relatively speaking) and therein lies the effectivity of the rig. Thank you very much for your kind and positive comments and your support all along the way - it is very much appreciated! Thumbsup

Congratulations on the conclusion of a truly fine build Heinrich. Your personal enjoyment of this wonderful project has certainly transferred to the rest of us. It was a joy to follow your posts, to learn about the Sampan and see the final result. Like turning the last page of a classic novel a touch of sadness is understandable, yet fleeting, as we all admire your work. Thanks.

@RogerD Thank you so much for the compliments Roger! I am very glad to have met you and that you joined me in the sampan build. Your support has been great. I may have finished the sampan but I am sure to follow your impressive Syren build. I wish you the very best in that.

@Kkonrath Wow, Kurt! You make me blush! Thank you very much for those most kind words. You are so right - I suppose I will always remain a teacher at heart! :)

@Dematosdg Thank you Daniel! Now I am awaiting your TWO sampan builds in anticipation! But only after the Turtle Ship is finished! :)

If it were not so early in the day here I would raise a glass in honour to you and the Tanka people for this wonderful log and story, for the time being you will have to be satisfied with a warm coffee and the several cigarettes I have consumed while thinking of what to say.
To take such a simple craft and create a tale(lesson) such as this is marvellous! It is with no doubt that I can say you have many many Tanka people smiling down upon you thanking and blessing you for bringing to light their history and heritage.
A beautiful build and even better log my Friend!! THANK YOU

@DonRobinson My dearest wayward friend - the coffee and several cigarettes are what I have first thing in the morning, so I am in agreement with you on that breakfast!!! ROTF You know, I am not often speechless - but now I am. That is an incredibly precious message and one that I will cherish for as long as I live. You are so right - this has been an incredible log, but not because of me - but because of all my wonderful friends who have supported me so much! If God grant me the time, I may build many more models, but none will hold the place in my heart that this one will. Thank you my friend!

Back