YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sometimes life just gets in the way of things. The one part missing from the sampan was the oven used for cooking that Mike Shanks is doing for me. Waiting on these is not a problem as travel restrictions to certain places have still made the delivery of the sampan to the Shatian Water Exhibition Culture Hall (museum in Shatian) impossible. Hope fully this is something that can be done by the end of January.

In any case, back to the ovens: Mike first created a template to fold up some metal brackets and then carefully CA glued the brackets to the sides of the oven and used some scale bent wire to simulate the handle. Now it just needs the type of weathering/staining that heat would cause to such an oven and then it is good to go.

1640791701_5745_FT37174_img_1729.jpg

Thank you very much so far Mike! Thumbsup

Sometimes life just gets in the way of things. The one part missing from the sampan was the oven used for cooking that Mike Shanks is doing for me. Waiting on these is not a problem as travel restrictions to certain places have still made the delivery of the sampan to the Shatian Water Exhibition Culture Hall (museum in Shatian) impossible. Hope fully this is something that can be done by the end of January.

In any case, back to the ovens: Mike first created a template to fold up some metal brackets and then carefully CA glued the brackets to the sides of the oven and used some scale bent wire to simulate the handle. Now it just needs the type of weathering/staining that heat would cause to such an oven and then it is good to go.

View attachment 279683

Thank you very much so far Mike! Thumbsup
I can see that the galley (or what it may be called for your sampan) will be ready for customers in 2022. I'm still in line for the opening event. Rich

I just have to show you the incredible work that Mike Shanks has been doing on those ovens for the sampan:

Over to Mike:

The idea was to replicate the look of the sampan oven from the original photo to include hot coals and a worn look. I tried to keep it subtle and realistic.

1641419081_5745_FT37174_img_1755.jpg

This was achieved using Lionel model railroad coal carefully painted and dry brushed with a combination of Vallejo acrylics and MIG weathering pigments.

1641560061_5745_FT37174_img_1761.jpg

1641559883_5745_FT37174_img_1760.jpg

1641565643_5745_FT37174_img_1763.jpg

The outside of the oven also received some weathering. A light tinting of gunmetal blue was washed followed by a couple shades of pigments.

All I can say is WOW! Thank you so much for this incredible work Mike. It will add great value to the model! ThumbsupFirst Place Metal

I just have to show you the incredible work that Mike Shanks has been doing on those ovens for the sampan:

Over to Mike:

The idea was to replicate the look of the sampan oven from the original photo to include hot coals and a worn look. I tried to keep it subtle and realistic.

View attachment 281511

This was achieved using Lionel model railroad coal carefully painted and dry brushed with a combination of Vallejo acrylics and MIG weathering pigments.

View attachment 281512

View attachment 281513

View attachment 281514

The outside of the oven also received some weathering. A light tinting of gunmetal blue was washed followed by a couple shades of pigments.

All I can say is WOW! Thank you so much for this incredible work Mike. It will add great value to the model! ThumbsupFirst Place Metal
That looks great, Heinrich. Detailing is fun!
Regards, Peter

One thing Mike Shanks and I both use is Vallejo Model Color. Dozens, maybe hundreds of colors, perfect for brushing. A guy at my hobby shop w ho said his hobby is painting miniatures recommended these acrylic brushing finishes and now I use nothing else. Take a look at some of the plastic military figures and dioramas they paint. Very realistic — dirt, rust and grime included.

One thing Mike Shanks and I both use is Vallejo Model Color. Dozens, maybe hundreds of colors, perfect for brushing. A guy at my hobby shop w ho said his hobby is painting miniatures recommended these acrylic brushing finishes and now I use nothing else. Take a look at some of the plastic military figures and dioramas they paint. Very realistic — dirt, rust and grime included.
I agree Mike. On my Haarlem, I also used Vallejo mostly and while my painting knowledge and and ability are almost non-existent, there is no doubt that Vallejo makes a quality product!

I can only agree Mike, I use Vallejo paints for most of my modeling work and am very satisfied.

Hello Heinrich, Mike's Ovens are very nice and will add to your great little sampan, this sure has been a fun build for you and with all of that great history of how they were built and the people who live on them, Thanks.
I sure feel bad that I have not visited your build log a little more but as you know it has been another bad year for us, hope this New Year will turn out much better.
Wishing you and your family a Very Happy New Year that will be much better than the last.
Regards Lawrence

Heinrich, i had no idea that you where working on the Sampan as wel,
and while my painting knowledge and and ability are almost non-existent
and i think you under estimate your painting abillity, because what i see on those nice looking ovens, is an excellent weathering job. i think they will look beautifull an your Sampan

Hello Heinrich, Mike's Ovens are very nice and will add to your great little sampan, this sure has been a fun build for you and with all of that great history of how they were built and the people who live on them, Thanks.
I sure feel bad that I have not visited your build log a little more but as you know it has been another bad year for us, hope this New Year will turn out much better.
Wishing you and your family a Very Happy New Year that will be much better than the last.
Regards Lawrence
No worries my friend. Yes, 2021 has not been a good one - we can only hope that this year brings us the health that we so sorely need. You are right, lawrence, the sampan has been a fun build that I thoroughly enjoyed. However, my current build of the Dutch Expedition ship, the Barentsz, is my most enjoyable build so far. If I may, I would like to invite you to that one as well.

Heinrich, i had no idea that you where working on the Sampan as wel,

and i think you under estimate your painting abillity, because what i see on those nice looking ovens, is an excellent weathering job. i think they will look beautifull an your Sampan
Peter, my friend, that painting job was done for me by Mike Shanks who also 3D-printed the ovens for me. :) He did an excellent weathering job!

Back