current build images Your actual Ship Modeling Project - briefly introduced at a glance -> present it here

I almost feel apologetic, posting my pictures amongst such superb wooden models. I've tried wooden models, but I can't keep my interest going for the months needed for a project!
View attachment 244788
ICM 1/72 Seehund.

View attachment 244785
ICM 1/144 Type IIB uboat

View attachment 244786View attachment 244787
Zvezda 1/350 Knyaz Suvorov.
The sea is DAS clay, applied in thin layers ( allowed to dry for a day or so between applications ) to minimise cracking, then sealed with dilute PVA and painted - I exclusively use acrylics, airbrushed for primers & basecoats, hairy stick for the rest.
I'm currently working on the Mirage 1/350 HMS Spiraea, but it has stalled at the moment.....................
View attachment 244799

One thing I can say, is I don't need a lot of space to work on, or display my ship models!
Dave
Nothing to apologize for here. I really like the way you have simulated the sea and the bow/stern waves.

I almost feel apologetic, posting my pictures amongst such superb wooden models. I've tried wooden models, but I can't keep my interest going for the months needed for a project!
View attachment 244788
ICM 1/72 Seehund.

View attachment 244785
ICM 1/144 Type IIB uboat

View attachment 244786View attachment 244787
Zvezda 1/350 Knyaz Suvorov.
The sea is DAS clay, applied in thin layers ( allowed to dry for a day or so between applications ) to minimise cracking, then sealed with dilute PVA and painted - I exclusively use acrylics, airbrushed for primers & basecoats, hairy stick for the rest.
I'm currently working on the Mirage 1/350 HMS Spiraea, but it has stalled at the moment.....................
View attachment 244799

One thing I can say, is I don't need a lot of space to work on, or display my ship models!
Dave
Those are really nice wave presentations for the ships. Rich (PT-2)

This is the MikroMir 1/144 Holland A class sub.
DSCF1434.JPGDSCF1435.JPG
Tricky one to work out - these subs ran very low in the water, and it seems almost sacrilege to cut off 75% of the hull, to get it to a 'waterline' stage, and it's still riding a bit too high! The figures are 1/144 ( 1/150 ) railway passengers, with a slice of plastic rod on their heads as caps, and suitably painted. These things had a crew of 8, so the majority are on the casing ( fresh air! ).
The original Holland I was built in 1901, the first submarine for the Royal Navy. She was lost in 1913, whilst being towed away for scrap. She was located & salvaged in 1982 & is now on display at the RN Submarine Museum in Gosport, Hampshire, UK
Dave

This is the MikroMir 1/144 Holland A class sub.
View attachment 244894View attachment 244895
Tricky one to work out - these subs ran very low in the water, and it seems almost sacrilege to cut off 75% of the hull, to get it to a 'waterline' stage, and it's still riding a bit too high! The figures are 1/144 ( 1/150 ) railway passengers, with a slice of plastic rod on their heads as caps, and suitably painted. These things had a crew of 8, so the majority are on the casing ( fresh air! ).
The original Holland I was built in 1901, the first submarine for the Royal Navy. She was lost in 1913, whilst being towed away for scrap. She was located & salvaged in 1982 & is now on display at the RN Submarine Museum in Gosport, Hampshire, UK
Dave
An interesting thing would be to model the primary and secondary hull waves based upon the waterline length and speed. That was one way that in photo interpretation we could determine a ships speed back in the early 60s based upon decades old supporting data. Rich (PT-2)

An interesting thing would be to model the primary and secondary hull waves based upon the waterline length and speed. That was one way that in photo interpretation we could determine a ships speed back in the early 60s based upon decades old supporting data. Rich (PT-2)
Submarines on the surface produce really unique bow waves - if you look at a SSN boat on the surface, the effect is quite odd - I looked at doing a Los Angeles on the surface, but discarded the idea, as you would have to do a really deep seascape to show the depression just behind the bows!
los angeles.jpg
I don't think the bow waves of surfaced subs really shows anything - other than they're really inefficient! Not surprising, as they're optimised to be at depth!
Dave

Last edited:
PT-2
You are close,
Not a shop but I am planning to move from my hobby room to the garage and transform it into a really nice model workshop.
I finally getting my hands on a few tools that I always needed and dint know how I managed without them.
I will soon will post the two new models I bought.
I was thinking of doing an open box review.
Is the Calder Craft “Northen Light” Clyde Puffer and the Mantua “Anteo”.
Both lovely tug models.

Oh, I forgot,
I also bought the Marisstella TRAJTA - fishing and cargo boat 1:20 Scale
View attachment 252378
I really like that working sail boat. Guess I am partial to fore&aft rigged ones of all sizes. That is a nice finish that you went with. I would like to see some closer views if that is OK. Nicely done.
My hobby room is my den and work bench the desk while the garage is overloaded with the small power tools on top of my drafting table, I think it is still under there, surrounded by stacks and piles of boxes and all sorts of items, too necessary to have in the future but seldom used. Your garage will appreciate your presence much more than mine does. Rich (PT-2)

It is not a problem, but only to remind everybody:
This topic is for showing actual projects which are not shown in a building log.
To show new purchases etc. we have another topic

Back