current build images Your actual Ship Modeling Project - briefly introduced at a glance -> present it here

Belle Poule 1780 1:72

FD392C3E-8311-4F4F-B285-84A533EE0A62.jpeg

Thank you, here are some more pic's of La Glorie. I suspect it is not very accurate as Mamoli sell the same kit,( La Glorie and Surprise )yet them being two different scales and class of frigate! So I am just building her as a generic late 18th century frigate. I also have some pic's of the cutter Alert from Vanguard Models, that I built previouslyalert n1.jpgalert n3 jpg.jpgalert n5 jpg.jpgalert n1.jpgalert n2.jpgalert n3 jpg.jpgalert n6 jpg.jpgalert n9 jpg.jpgamazone n4.jpgamazone n6.jpgamazone n7.jpgamazone n10.jpgamazone n11.jpg to La Glorie.

Very good work - Really good.
And you have a good eye for the details - f.e. lowered yard arms without sails -> Thumbsup
Maybe you start a building log of your finalisation works on your Gloire?

Thank you, here are some more pic's of La Glorie. I suspect it is not very accurate as Mamoli sell the same kit,( La Glorie and Surprise )yet them being two different scales and class of frigate! So I am just building her as a generic late 18th century frigate. I also have some pic's of the cutter Alert from Vanguard Models, that I built previouslyView attachment 254987View attachment 254989View attachment 254990View attachment 254987View attachment 254988View attachment 254989View attachment 254991View attachment 254992View attachment 254993View attachment 254994View attachment 254995View attachment 254996View attachment 254997 to La Glorie.
I think that there are accuracy and visual appearance. As long as your presentation is what you want to display then I would say that you have a good kit. Rich (PT-2)

Thank you for your kind comments Uwek It's a bit late for a build log on this kit as I have already made all the masts and yards, so it's only tying knots from now on. (does anyone really like doing ratlines on a three master?) I have only built four kits before and have never tried making a build log but I might have a go on my next build.

PT-2 I have to say that I agree with you and in truth I really couldn't tell you what an Iphigénie-class frigate looked like, the only clue I have are a couple of paintings of one of her sister ships Amazone in action, painted by Robert Dodd and I bet he wasn't there! As well they are a bit indistinct and she's a bit second hand lookingAmazonevSantaMargarita.jpgbhc0449.jpg.

As well they are a bit indistinct and she's a bit second hand looking
With the paintings you are maybe correct, but ...... maybe

Several vessels of this class six of nine) were captured by the british during the period, but it seems, that not one was remeassured and drawn by the dockyard. Often you can find the cotemporary drawings at the NMM.
Nevertheless your two paintings from Dodd showing the Amazone are available there:

Link to NMM:

The action took place in 1782 and Dodd painted the two paintings already one year later with exhibition in 1784, so we can guess, that a lot of the details were correct

Important here: There is f.e. written as description of the paintings:

The two ships shown were frigates of 36 guns, the 'Santa Margarita' - a Spanish-built prize - with 255 men under Captain Elliot Salter and the 'Amazone', under the Viscomte de Montguioté, with 301 men, though the British ship fired a heavier broadside.
This painting if the first of a pair - which Salter may well have commissioned- to commemorate the action,

So Dodd painted these two paintings one year after the action by an order of the captain of the british ship particpating in the action!

Now we can believe, that a lot of details shown on the paintings are correct - maybe only the guns of the enemy are slightly bigger than in reality ;)

Thanks guys, I'm really waffling about whether to plank the whole thing. It's a lot of work to just bury under a layer of planks. But then I don't think the interior shows that well under three decks of framing. I'll have to decide soon.

Master Korabel Yawl - 1:72

4d196e7f88ff176be056b5647d973436.jpg

b5eee6001ca3178bea62dd4df164f9b1.jpg

Back