YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

The booms and gaffs are, apart from some minor touch ups, as good as complete. Also progress has been made installing blocks on the masts. Still some blocks have to be added, but that'll come to pass in due time.
Today my focus shifted from the spars to the sails; this will be a project of its own, since the kit came without sails, plus I deviated sufficiently from YQ's drawings ánd instructions to make those obsolete. In short; I'll have to create my own instructions, drawings, templates and sails.
Below a picture from the five spars.
From left to right the jumbo boom, the main gaff, the main boom, the fore boom and lastly the fore gaff.
Those blocks and eyes are killers, blocks range from 3- to 5mm and they are very difficult to handle; I've reached my limits with those.
My respect for those who can deal with even smaller blocks. o_O
IMG_0363.jpeg

The booms and gaffs are, apart from some minor touch ups, as good as complete. Also progress has been made installing blocks on the masts. Still some blocks have to be added, but that'll come to pass in due time.
Today my focus shifted from the spars to the sails; this will be a project of its own, since the kit came without sails, plus I deviated sufficiently from YQ's drawings ánd instructions to make those obsolete. In short; I'll have to create my own instructions, drawings, templates and sails.
Below a picture from the five spars.
From left to right the jumbo boom, the main gaff, the main boom, the fore boom and lastly the fore gaff.
Those blocks and eyes are killers, blocks range from 3- to 5mm and they are very difficult to handle; I've reached my limits with those.
My respect for those who can deal with even smaller blocks. o_O
View attachment 382152
The booms and gaffs are looking very nice and detailed, Johan. You have raised and lifted the bar of your skills for sure.
Regards, Peter

These look excellent Johann! I believe your limits are still out there somewhere...
The booms and gaffs are looking very nice and detailed, Johan. You have raised and lifted the bar of your skills for sure.
Regards, Peter
Thank you both for your kind comments, Paul and Peter.
Although it took me "ages" to get this far with the spars, I can't help but being satisfied with the results.

I've reached my limits with those.
Good morning Johan. My limit is building wooden ships…..
Some close up shots of the spars and the blocks around the tresseltrees:

Main boom:
View attachment 382207View attachment 382209

Fore boom:
View attachment 382210View attachment 382211

Main gaff:
View attachment 382212

Fore mast tresseltree:
View attachment 382206
Main mast tresseltree:
View attachment 382205View attachment 382206
You owned this Johan. Even after following Peters tutorial I still dont know all the technical accuracies of the BN, but your detail and rigging is brilliant - and these are macro pics. I have to say you are owning this, big hands and all. Cheers Grant

Good morning Johan. My limit is building wooden ships…..
ROTF
You owned this Johan. Even after following Peters tutorial I still dont know all the technical accuracies of the BN, but your detail and rigging is brilliant - and these are macro pics. I have to say you are owning this, big hands and all. Cheers Grant
Admittedly, I feel rather humbled by your compliments, but nevertheless thanks, Grant.
Now anxiously moving forward with the sails with their own challenges...

This is fantastic Johan, you made custom templates for all your sails!
For some of the sails I had guidance material from @Peter Voogt, but since no build is the same, I had to create my own templates, based on my build, with its own deviations. Funnily enough, the variations were there, but rather small and more of a personal nature.
Having said that, the sail I'm the least enthousiastic about in terms of appearance, is the fore topsail. Fiddling with the fore mast gaff didn't help; I thought I could sufficiently adjust the geometry of the sail's aft edges by lifting the aft tip of the gaff, but that didn't work satisfactory, without getting too close to one of the stays.

Fiddling with the fore mast gaff didn't help; I thought I could sufficiently adjust the geometry of the sail's
This will certainly be a tricky maneuver for me too. Right now, in my mind's eye I will be using the geometry presented in the layout of the spars and gaffs, but unintended consequences just seem to wait in the shadows for me.

Back