YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

As I wrote earlier today, I would present some background info on how I am adding more detail to the aft cabin.
First order of businesses was to establish the cabin height, since this ultimately determines the vertical position of the two clamps. Why two clamps? Because I wanted to use the same construction principle as is used on the fishhold; clamps attached to the frames, beams on top of the clamps and planks on top of the beams.
Back to the cabin height; I used, quite arbitrary, a standing height of 2m (6.6ft), which translates to 27,7mm (1.1") on the scale of the YQ design. Based on this requirement I prepared a tool to mark the position of the clamps on the frames.

The tool to mark the vertical position of the clamps. I had to remove the center part of the lower part to allow for the keelson and sister keelsons.
View attachment 304649

The upper edge of the marking tool supported on the deck clamps, providing me a constant distance from the deck to the clamps.
View attachment 304650

After marking all nine frames, I used a popsicle stick to mark the lateral distance between the pencil marks on the frames.
View attachment 304645

After some fiddling, I had my measures
View attachment 304646

I transferred those measures to a piece of paper and by connecting the dots, I obtained the curves for the clamps.
View attachment 304651

Using a pin, I transferred the points to two pieces of scrap wood of the same thickness as the other clamps, connected the dots and used my dremel to remove the excess material.
For one of the clamps it didn't work out too well, but since I don't have enough material left, I unfortunately have to declare it "use as is".
View attachment 304652

And now up to the next challenge, manufacturing of the beams...
I just got home and saw your post from just now. A nice way to determine the position of the floor.
Maybe something to consider:
With your template you have followed the line of the main deck bearing beams. But to the rear the deck rises slightly.
Your cabine floor will probably also rise slightly to the back.
I think Captain Angun wanted something a little more luxurious and that the floor of his cabin would be even with the waterline: horizontal.
This photo of a drawing from The Saga shows that a bit:
89AC7168-02AE-43B6-8D26-95B8B855947C.jpeg
When you scroll up en down with the drawing to the top and bottom of your screen, you can align the waterline, the floor and the roof even with the ends of your screen.
The construction of the deckhouse also protrudes slightly higher above the bulwark at the front. But compared to the floor it is the same height at the front and back.
It is not much and the question is what you will see of it later. But ........ you and I know …….
Regards, Peter

Hello Johan. All that research on the WB means I have to play catchup again. I am very sorry to hear about the admiral. Oh boy, I know all about a house being lonely - I hope she will be home soon. The upside is that you can overthink in peace!

I just got home and saw your post from just now. A nice way to determine the position of the floor.
Maybe something to consider:
With your template you have followed the line of the main deck bearing beams. But to the rear the deck rises slightly.
Your cabine floor will probably also rise slightly to the back.
I think Captain Angun wanted something a little more luxurious and that the floor of his cabin would be even with the waterline: horizontal.
This photo of a drawing from The Saga shows that a bit:
View attachment 304653
When you scroll up en down with the drawing to the top and bottom of your screen, you can align the waterline, the floor and the roof even with the ends of your screen.
The construction of the deckhouse also protrudes slightly higher above the bulwark at the front. But compared to the floor it is the same height at the front and back.
It is not much and the question is what you will see of it later. But ........ you and I know …….
Regards, Peter
When you compare the Saga's sketches of the aft fuselage with the YQ model, it's almost as if YQ's stern is too shallow. Having said that, not much to do about that. On the Saga's sketch, the aft cabinlooks almost ridiculously high. Also, the roof of the aft cabin appears to be parallel to the waterline.
I've been heavily contemplating on how to proceed with the aft cabin, standing height being one of the issues I reflected upon. I haven't any rock solid details on that area, so I opted for a 2 meter high cabin. The only more or less reliable reference I now have is the upper deck clamps. I also considered the waterline or an offset thereoff to use as the aft cabin clamp level, but, yes there is a difference, but I opted to go for the aft cabin deck being parallel to the upper deck, quite arbitrary, I might add.
In hindsight, it would have been nice if YQ could have added just a bit more reference marks in either the frame drawings or, preferably, on some of the parts. Another option would have been to try and transfer the waterline from the sideview to the parts.
For now I plan to continue what I started, hoping that I don't have to revert to demolition of parts of my build.

Hello Johan. All that research on the WB means I have to play catchup again. I am very sorry to hear about the admiral. Oh boy, I know all about a house being lonely - I hope she will be home soon. The upside is that you can overthink in peace!
Thanks Heinrich.
By the way things are evolving she might be send home coming Monday.

As I wrote in my reply to Peter; I thought the forward and aft frame surfaces to be free of any interface, other than a contact surface for the cross beams. So, based on your and Peter's reaction, I'm holding back on applying any finish at this stage.
I was just reading this old post and was thinking the same thing, but the wisdom of those that have gone before clearly wins out.

I was just reading this old post and was thinking the same thing, but the wisdom of those that have gone before clearly wins out.
Yep, once I started on the subproject "ballast", I came to the conclusion that I wanted to have some protection on the frames, prior to adding ballast. On top of that, some areas are very hard to access once you're further in your build. It also means I have to sand some areas again, prior to adding parts.
This build involves a lot of looking and planning ahead, but sometimes a plan just doesn't come together...

That is wonderful news Johan! I am very happy for you both!

View attachment 286115
Buona sera Pietro, può esserti utile?
I have read Mastini's book from cover to cover several times over the years. It's examples and figures are largely based on the construction of a model Bluenose (Artesania Latina?). It is one of the most practical and useful "how to" books I have found. I recommend it very highly.

Well, since I don't have acces to the actual Bluenose hardware at the moment, I have ample time to turn things over in my head. One of those things is the configuration of the hull/deck interface.
The Bluenose "Saga" shows the datum of the decks being the platform/notch as formed by the geometry of the double frames.

View attachment 289643

The YQ frame design is consistent with the original design, however...

The top surface of the Bluenose (floor)beams are level with the deck line surfaces of the frames, see the cross section below.

View attachment 289644

Now, when looking at the YQ design, they appear to have taken a slightly different approach.

The top of the shelf, or beam support is level with the platform/notch, formed by the double frames. On top of that support rest the floorbeams and the top of the floorbeams then form the deck datum, or deck line. This means the deck datums have an offset, relative to the frame surface/notch, equal to the thickness of the beams.
See also the sketch below, which is my interpretation of both designs.

View attachment 289645

My question to those further ahead in the build, are my assumptions correct or am I missing something, or this just a case of YQ AL-FI?
What is the Bluenose "Saga" to which you folks have been referring?

Thats good news, Johan Birthday-Cake
Great news. My admiral might keep me on my toes but I'd be lost if she wasn't here. Bring her some breakfast in bed just to let her know.
That is wonderful news Johan! I am very happy for you both!
Thanks, my dear friends. It's good to have her back.
The Admiral still needs some recovery time and it was impressed upon her to take it easy. Luckily our home has lost it's lonely feeling...

Back