YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Work ongoing, a bit switching between tasks.
The main sub-projects I am working on now are the dories and the deadeyes.
I am trying to enhance the rather plain Billing Boats dories, bij adding some details like frames and a mastfoot, oars...
862B0B2C-43D0-4412-929F-5461D5A59946.jpeg3E4AAC58-D31D-4E5B-BBF0-5F98222424C1.jpeg

The other topic I am keeping myself busy with are the deadeyes.
Initially I used 5mm instead of the 7mm deadeyes, as per the kit, while using the with the kit supplied parts for the deadeye rings. For the smaller deadeye, original 5mm, a 4mm deadeye is used:
4B90897D-9C89-401A-BC6C-9F0490A4F15B.jpeg
Unfortunately, after completing assembly of 10 out of 20 deadeyes I was far from satisfied with the result; the deadeyes were sitting too high, too far from the railing.
After consulting a fellow modeler, I ripped all assembles apart and started again. Luckily, the Admiral's nail polish remover worked wonders, since I used some CA-adhesive on the assemblies.
Using a little selfmade tool I am now fabricating the rings myself. That's quite the cumbersome exercise, but I'm getting there. Now 8 out of 20 completed...

The left deadeye is the modified one, the others still awaiting demolition...
5DCE0AA4-7121-4583-9D80-0BECEC46A405.jpeg

Work ongoing, a bit switching between tasks.
The main sub-projects I am working on now are the dories and the deadeyes.
I am trying to enhance the rather plain Billing Boats dories, bij adding some details like frames and a mastfoot, oars...
View attachment 354521View attachment 354522

The other topic I am keeping myself busy with are the deadeyes.
Initially I used 5mm instead of the 7mm deadeyes, as per the kit, while using the with the kit supplied parts for the deadeye rings. For the smaller deadeye, original 5mm, a 4mm deadeye is used:
View attachment 354523
Unfortunately, after completing assembly of 10 out of 20 deadeyes I was far from satisfied with the result; the deadeyes were sitting too high, too far from the railing.
After consulting a fellow modeler, I ripped all assembles apart and started again. Luckily, the Admiral's nail polish remover worked wonders, since I used some CA-adhesive on the assemblies.
Using a little selfmade tool I am now fabricating the rings myself. That's quite the cumbersome exercise, but I'm getting there. Now 8 out of 20 completed...

The left deadeye is the modified one, the others still awaiting demolition...
View attachment 354525
Hi Johan. Nice added details on the dories. And a good choice to update the connections between the deadeyes and chainplates.
Regards, Peter

Today the first four chainplates were installed. It's a very time consuming task, especially since I'm making the deadeye rings myself, using the M0,8 bolts and nuts I was given by @Peter Voogt and some required additional blackening. Adding to the challenge is that I actually have a very vague idea what needs to be done, but no experience in the tasks at hand, meaning quite a bit of trail and error is involved.
Still, I'm happy with the results so far. Up to the next 16 chainplates. Boy, am I glad I'm not building the Cutty Sark.
Also nearing completion are the dories, at least the basics are there, still some work required, but they are definitely taking shape and I am still happy to have opted to buy some good old Billing Boats dories.

The four chainplates for the main mast shrouds installed, looking great!
CFDBB84D-D6B1-425B-A061-146C3AFF9529.jpeg

The four dories, three port and one starboard. I played around a little with the colors, assuming that the dories might have different paint schemes, think about dories being repainted, repaired or replaced, that's how I justify my choices... ;)
At least the beer kegs are already loaded!
45339F23-4A09-4710-92BC-9E70DAEB07C5.jpeg

Today the first four chainplates were installed. It's a very time consuming task, especially since I'm making the deadeye rings myself, using the M0,8 bolts and nuts I was given by @Peter Voogt and some required additional blackening. Adding to the challenge is that I actually have a very vague idea what needs to be done, but no experience in the tasks at hand, meaning quite a bit of trail and error is involved.
Still, I'm happy with the results so far. Up to the next 16 chainplates. Boy, am I glad I'm not building the Cutty Sark.
Also nearing completion are the dories, at least the basics are there, still some work required, but they are definitely taking shape and I am still happy to have opted to buy some good old Billing Boats dories.

View attachment 355205

The four dories, three port and one starboard. I played around a little with the colors, assuming that the dories might have different paint schemes, think about dories being repainted, repaired or replaced, that's how I justify my choices... ;)
View attachment 355204
Dear Johan
simply excellent work it's looks beautiful ThumbsupOkay:)

View attachment 355205

View attachment 355204
Good morning Johan. Beautiful . you are owning this BN. Cheers Grant

View attachment 355205

View attachment 355204
Nothing wrong with adding some nice colors. I like it! ;)

Really nice work here Johan. She's turning into a real beauty!
She sure is, Paul. It's fun to see her turning out way better than I ever thought she would.
Good morning Johan. Beautiful . you are owning this BN. Cheers Grant
I'm afraid it's the other way around, Grant; she's definitely owning me...
Nothing wrong with adding some nice colors. I like it! ;)
Thanks Dean. It's a good thing to have access to so much information nowadays; it makes it a lot easier to obtain information on how things might have looked, or which colors might have been used.
For the restoration of the Bluenose my father build, I used the dories as delivered, with a little paint.
Now I have chosen to add some frames, a mast base and hoisting ropes, making the dories a lot more convincing, although in all likelihood not historically correct.

View attachment 355205

View attachment 355204
This all gives your BN a nice personal touch, Johan.

On the starboard side all 10 chainplates, including deadeyes, are now installed. Onto the next 10 chainplates...
7FDB9A46-AE85-4273-A76F-B4523007097A.jpeg

Some pics of the dories, with a comparison between the YQ- and BB dories:
On the left the YQ dory, the right dory is a customized Billing Boats dory from their 1:65 Bluenose I kit. The ropes to stem and stern still to be added.
6057E58C-2DF7-42FE-A1A8-EDE161E7AA27.jpeg

Left the BB-dory, to me geometrically more convincing, more proportional than the YQ-dory on the right.
Customizations to the dory are the supports for the benches, the representations of the dory frames, the mast foot underneath the front bench and of course the barrel, aft of the front bench. At a later stage some more equipment will be added.
Just to set the record straight, I'm not claiming the YQ dory design is faulty, I simply lack the authority to say so. There are two reasons why I choose to use the BB dories: 1) my assembled YQ-dories were subpar in quality and 2) to me the supplied dories are proportionally off, in the sense that the sweep is too pronounced and the stem and stern too high.
F60DC801-52F9-4138-B487-B808ADACD221.jpeg

On the starboard side all 10 chainplates, including deadeyes, are now installed. Onto the next 10 chainplates...
View attachment 356075

Some pics of the dories, with a comparison between the YQ- and BB dories:
On the left the YQ dory, the right dory is a customized Billing Boats dory from their 1:65 Bluenose I kit. The ropes to stem and stern still to be added.
View attachment 356076

Left the BB-dory, to me geometrically more convincing, more proportional than the YQ-dory on the right.
Customizations to the dory are the supports for the benches, the representations of the dory frames, the mast foot underneath the front bench and of course the barrel, aft of the front bench. At a later stage some more equipment will be added.
Just to set the record straight, I'm not claiming the YQ dory design is faulty, I simply lack the authority to say so. There are two reasons why I choose to use the BB dories: 1) my assembled YQ-dories were subpar in quality and 2) to me the supplied dories are proportionally off, in the sense that the sweep is too pronounced and the stem and stern too high.
View attachment 356077
A nice progress, Johan. I loved the details in and on the dories. Let the rest come soon.
to me the supplied dories are proportionally off, in the sense that the sweep is too pronounced and the stem and stern too high.
About this quote, we can have a nice discussion. But pictures are better. Today a nice book arrived. The one that Douwe showed at our latest D.B.B.S.: "A Race for Real Sailors" from Keith McLaren.
A great book with for me new pictures I have not seen yet. Also 2 from the dories:
Dories.jpg
...... with a pretty sweep and upwards bow and stern ........
But just to be clear, I have totally no problem with your using this one from BB. The other SoS-members don't want to know what I yelled while building the YQ-dories. Man-o-man what filigree are the parts! It took quite some time before I had them put together to my liking. I used 2 different technics and still have no idea which was the best. There are also no pictures in my report during the build. No time or energy for that.;)
Regards, Peter

About this quote, we can have a nice discussion. But pictures are better. Today a nice book arrived. The one that Douwe showed at our latest D.B.B.S.: "A Race for Real Sailors" from Keith McLaren.
A great book with for me new pictures I have not seen yet. Also 2 from the dories:
View attachment 356083
...... with a pretty sweep and upwards bow and stern ........
But just to be clear, I have totally no problem with your using this one from BB. The other SoS-members don't want to know what I yelled while building the YQ-dories. Man-o-man what filigree are the parts! It took quite some time before I had them put together to my liking. I used 2 different technics and still have no idea which was the best. There are also no pictures in my report during the build. No time or energy for that.;)
Regards, Peter
Looking at the pictures, with some lense- and/or perspective distortion(?) it's rather defendable that the geometry of the dories might have been something in between YQ- and BB's interpretation.
Still, I really enjoy the less harsh lines of the BB dories, so they stay. ;)
And, as you wrote, the build of those dories was nor simple nor enjoyable. I will not try and keep an "active memory" of this part of the build... ;)

Johan I really like the way that your dories turned out. Maybe I am conditioned by the Dutch chaloups, but I also prefer the BB dory to the YQ one. I like the Australian rugby team color scheme you have chosen for them; it brightens up the deck fittings considerably. Your chain plates and deadeyes look superb! Doe zo voort!

Johan I really like the way that your dories turned out. Maybe I am conditioned by the Dutch chaloups, but I also prefer the BB dory to the YQ one. I like the Australian rugby team color scheme you have chosen for them; it brightens up the deck fittings considerably. Your chain plates and deadeyes look superb! Doe zo voort!
Thank you so much, Heinrich!
This is becoming quite the journey; the more one deviates from the beaten path (build instructions) the more prone one becomes to trying things, evaluate them and redo what one did, until satisfied. This not occurring for one single subpart if the build, but for a variety of subjects.
The "Australian" color scheme is mere coincidence; a) I found some pictures, showing these colors, which I happen to find very appealing, plus I found an explanation for the yellow and green: visibility at sea.
The main issue I have is that I find my self-fabricated parts to be lacking in quality, hence no macro-pictures of my Bluenose. (We both know quite some builders here on SOS, who are not hampered by the quality of their handiwork... ;))

Twenty deadeyes with shackles attached to the chainplates attached to the hull. This really feels like an accomplishment: twenty self-fabricated shackles, twenty chainplates and twenty M0,8 bolts and nuts, given by a generous friend, plus 60 nails, simulating bolts; finally I am able to close this chapter.
And yes, I scaled down the deadeyes to 5 and 4mm...

140CFB3B-FCE0-4A5F-B784-BC144E033FDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back