YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hey Peter, glad the main mast meets your approval. And for sure, as with almost every previous step, I moved into unknown territories. Next up is the foremast, at, least I have now some lessons learned from the mainmast build.

More work on the spars, focus is now on the lower fore- and main masts.
The latter mast is nearing completion, again the Model Shipways drawings are leading, so there's quite a few parts self-fabricated, especially the tresseltree (or is it Christmas tree?) is almost entirely scratch-build, with some parts used from the kit.

View from the port side, looking fwd.
The upper four eyes are not positioned in line on the mast's center line, but are displaced radially to prevent interference of the later to be installed blocks. This is in accordance with the MS drawings, but I overdid it a little, to make it look like a deliberate action:
View attachment 367930

View from the port side, looking aft.
In all, some 25 eyes in one form or another have been added, incredible...
The tresseltree itself consists of 12 parts.
View attachment 367931
And now up to the foremast.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate this holiday!
Good morning Johan. You OWNED this. Cheers Grant

Yep, I did 't! Yesterday marked reaching the highest points in the build.
Both fore- and main masts now have their top masts installed. The attachments do not look close to the original YQ instructions, as I said, I will follow quite closely the MS sail- and rigging plans...
Still some tidying up to do, but in all I'm quite happy with this result. After that it's back to making some more mast hoops, lol.

General view port side.
Final adjustment of the mast will be taken care of during the rigging of the masts:
C4E0A94D-6943-4BCA-AE85-A415F830F0BF.jpeg

General view starboard side:
5CAF1DB5-2E2D-43A4-8EA5-7233FA72BA50.jpeg

Detail of the main topmast installation:
BD846274-699A-4E06-85A6-2580A34AE34E.jpeg

Detail of the fore topmast installation:
E3177C52-BFAB-49F8-B5B3-647472E1D695.jpeg

And this is where I was at April 16th, 2022,
One thing's certain; progress, albeit slow, has been made!
020691CA-D300-4998-9CA4-A6BB13A06AF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Both fore- and main masts now have their top masts installed. The attachments do not look close to the original YQ instructions, as I said, I will follow quite closely the MS sail- and rigging plans...
Still some tidying up to do, but in all I'm quite happy with this result. After that it's back to making some more mast hoops, lol.

General view port side.
Final adjustment of the mast will be taken care of during the rigging of the masts:
View attachment 369068

View attachment 369069

View attachment 369070

View attachment 369071
Hi Johan. Nice to see your BN has reached her full length and height! This chapter with a lot of complicated details also done.:)
Regards, Peter

Hi Johan. Nice to see your BN has reached her full length and height! This chapter with a lot of complicated details also done.:)
Regards, Peter
What a journey, especially when disregarding the build instructions. I have you to blame for that. ;) Thumbsup
That bit about a lot of complicated parts rings true, very true...

General view port side.
View attachment 369068

View attachment 369069

View attachment 369070

View attachment 369071

And this is where I was at April 16th, 2022,
One thing's certain; progress, albeit slow, has been made!
View attachment 369073
This topic has been discussed before: the diameters of the various spars.
I tapered all spars close to the dimensimon per the spreadsheet @Peter Voogt generated for his build. We both agreed that the rather crude spars, as delivered with the kit, should receive some tapering to do justice to the scale.
Looking at the modified detail parts, this appeared to have been the right decision. Now, having the masts at full height, I'm wondering... Both lower- and top masts look rather fragile. Now I'm scared. Sick

Two shots of the typical top- to lower mast attachments.
Many small details, with parts sometimes not more than 1mm wide or 2mm tall.
At least I completely used the material supplied with the kit for the chain plates...

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

You have a beautiful representation there Johan. I was thinking the same thing as you about the potential fragility of those mast. The shroud lines should stiffen it up.
Also like Daniel wrote, That’s why they have ‘invited’ shrouds and stays ……..:)
A lot of rigidity, if not all, has to come from the shrouds and stays.
Right now I am thinking about adding a number of those first; a) for proper alignment and b) for stability and rigidity. Just to sort out which.

This topic has been discussed before: the diameters of the various spars.
I tapered all spars close to the dimensimon per the spreadsheet @Peter Voogt generated for his build. We both agreed that the rather crude spars, as delivered with the kit, should receive some tapering to do justice to the scale.
Looking at the modified detail parts, this appeared to have been the right decision. Now, having the masts at full height, I'm wondering... Both lower- and top masts look rather fragile. Now I'm scared. Sick
Good morning Johan…be scared be very scaredROTF. Seriously tho, the tapered masts was the right decision it looks nicely in scale. Your detail on the masts is so very good and it is so cool to see the length and height of you BN- awesome model. I guess from here on it is gentle gentle in the build process. Daniel is spot on, once your rigging happens those will become solid. I remember with the Victory how fragile the top gallant masts and yards were and now she could become a bird cage and survive.;) Cheers Grant

Good morning Johan…be scared be very scaredROTF. Seriously tho, the tapered masts was the right decision it looks nicely in scale. Your detail on the masts is so very good and it is so cool to see the length and height of you BN- awesome model. I guess from here on it is gentle gentle in the build process. Daniel is spot on, once your rigging happens those will become solid. I remember with the Victory how fragile the top gallant masts and yards were and now she could become a bird cage and survive.;) Cheers Grant
Hey Grant, you're right; the tapering was a must-have. Whenever I look at the overall picture, the decision to taper is justified.
I am now planning the steps to add rigidity to the two masts; not quite certain yet...

Back