YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Today I was able to complete the installation of the three jib stays.
Sounds easy enough, but in order to be able to install the jumbo jib stay, I had to first install the fore mast shrouds, since the jumbo jib stay bridle sits on top of the shrouds.

Detail of the jumbo jib stay with the bridle installation. The bridle runs around the lower foremast and the top foremast and is joined bij a shackle in front of the foremast. In this case a simple ring was used. The jumbo jib stay is then attached to the bridle:
View attachment 373794

Detail of the lower jumbo jib stay attachment:
View attachment 373795

Detail of the jib- and outer jib stay attachment to the bowsprit. Clean-up and touch-up still required, but that's for later. The very dark blue became a lot lighter, due to using a flashlight;
View attachment 373796
Thats a real nice shade of blue on your bowsprit, I hope I can find something close to that when I get there.

Today I was able to complete the installation of the three jib stays.
Sounds easy enough, but in order to be able to install the jumbo jib stay, I had to first install the fore mast shrouds, since the jumbo jib stay bridle sits on top of the shrouds.

Detail of the jumbo jib stay with the bridle installation. The bridle runs around the lower foremast and the top foremast and is joined bij a shackle in front of the foremast. In this case a simple ring was used. The jumbo jib stay is then attached to the bridle:
View attachment 373794

Detail of the lower jumbo jib stay attachment:
View attachment 373795

Detail of the jib- and outer jib stay attachment to the bowsprit. Clean-up and touch-up still required, but that's for later. The very dark blue became a lot lighter, due to using a flashlight;
View attachment 373796
PS I despise macros...

So nicely done my friend! The rigging on the BN sure is complicated...
Thanks, Paul. I'm lucky to be able to take my time, so if I don't like something, it's redo-time.

When looking at your Wasa, the rigging of the Bluenose is child's play...;)

Progress, again, is slow.
First an observation; a few weeks back I busied myself with the preparation of the spars until I was stopped by the strops of the blocks. While waiting for the parts to arrive, I switched my attention from the spars to the shrouds. Upon delivery if the strops for the blocks I ran some tests, but instead of shifting back to the spars, I continued work on the shrouds.
I assume it has to do with the fact that I now first want to complete installation of the shrouds, before switching back to the spars.
As of this afternoon I completed the main installation of the foremast shrouds, with lanyards and spreaders in place.
The topmast shrouds will have to wait until the installation of ratlines has been finished.
Next is the installation of the mainmast shrouds...

Overview of the foremast shrouds, lanyards and spreaders:
IMG_0216.jpeg

Detail view of the port shrouds of the foremast :
IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

Last edited:
First an observation; a few weeks back I busied myself with the preparation of the spars until I was stopped by the strops of the blocks. While waiting for the parts to arrive, I switched my attention from the spars to the shrouds. Upon delivery if the strops for the blocks I ran some tests, but instead of shifting back to the spars, I continued work on the shrouds.
I assume it has to do with the fact that I now first want to complete installation of the shrouds, before switching back to the spars.
As of this afternoon I completed the main installation of the foremast shrouds, with lanyards and spreaders in place.
The topmast shrouds will have to wait until the installation of ratlines has been finished.

View attachment 375696

View attachment 375697

View attachment 375694

View attachment 375695
It’s a tough job, but is going to look very nice, Johan.
Regard, Peter

View attachment 375696

View attachment 375697

View attachment 375694

View attachment 375695
Good morning Johan. You owned it. The deadeyes and strops are super neat. Cheers Grant

Great work on the strops and deadeyes, Johan, and for what it's worth, I also really like the blue of the hull color.

It’s a tough job, but is going to look very nice, Johan.
Regard, Peter
Very nice!
Nice work Johan, and good luck with all the ratlines yet to come :)
Looking good Johan! ;)
Good morning Johan. You owned it. The deadeyes and strops are super neat. Cheers Grant
Great work on the strops and deadeyes, Johan, and for what it's worth, I also really like the blue of the hull color.
Thanks for your encouragements, it's highly appreciated.
Although having done the shrouds on my other Bluenose quite recently, I found that it took me a lot more time than the previous build. I think I paid more attention to detail.
Next are the mainmast shrouds and then...

And yes, that blue color of the hull, that turned out way better than I ever expected

All deadeyes for the fore-, main- and topmastshrouds are installed and shear poles and lanyards are in place. Initially I choose to not finish the shrouds, but later decided against it, because I couldn't stand the clutter of loose ropes dangling from the masts.
Currently I am in the process of terminating the lanyards, belaying them to the shrouds above the shear poles and tying them down onto themselves.
Once done with this little project, I'll make another bunch of photos, for now I only added a picture of the first three completed lanyards, including being tied off onto itself:

IMG_0240.jpeg

All deadeyes for the fore-, main- and topmastshrouds are installed and shear poles and lanyards are in place. Initially I choose to not finish the shrouds, but later decided against it, because I couldn't stand the clutter of loose ropes dangling from the masts.
Currently I am in the process of terminating the lanyards, belaying them to the shrouds above the shear poles and tying them down onto themselves.
Once done with this little project, I'll make another bunch of photos, for now I only added a picture of the first three completed lanyards, including being tied off onto itself:

View attachment 377063
Looking good Johan! Deadeyes are challenging little buggers to deal with.

Back