YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

I can imagine something with that, Heinrich.
I also hesitate to give such a post a 'like'. So it's for the post, not the content. It must be also :( or Sick
It was very pleasant to meet construction colleagues again in the Covid time.
Hopefully that will improve in the foreseeable future.
Regards, Peter
You guys MUST take your Bluenoses to the next gathering of Modelbouwforum.

I can imagine something with that, Heinrich.
I also hesitate to give such a post a 'like'. So it's for the post, not the content. It must be also :( or Sick
It was very pleasant to meet construction colleagues again in the Covid time.
Hopefully that will improve in the foreseeable future.
Regards, Peter
I wholeheartedly agree Peter, very pleasant to meet one another face to face.
I understand Heinrich's jealousy though, to see your model in real life is a special experience. I think every modeler would seize the opportunity to see your work.

I think that applies to Peter and Henk. My work isn't up to par yet.
Whenever that gathering will be, I'll be participating, that's for sure.
Johan, it applies just as much to you. In any case, the meeting is normally held in October/November each year (last year it was in Hillegom), so you will have made major progress by that time! :)

Johan, it applies just as much to you. In any case, the meeting is normally held in October/November each year (last year it was in Hillegom), so you will have made major progress by that time! :)
Oké than, I propose the following deal, or challenge or whatever you might want to call it, to revive the D.B.B.S. for just that one occasion; Henk, Peter and I will present our respective Bluenose builds during the next gathering of the Modelbouwforum, regardless of build status. (Boy, this is getting out of control and way out of my comfort zone...Sick)
Somehow we should also be able to present your work on the WS/WB and let's include the Haarlem as well, for instance in the form of an extensive PowerPoint presentation of your posts on SOS.
@Henk Liebre and @Peter Voogt: what are your views on this proposal?

Ik ben de penningmeester en ik stem voor
Nog even afwachten op Peter (voorzitter)

translation (right ??)

I am the treasurer and I vote for
Just waiting for Peter (chairman)

Oké than, I propose the following deal, or challenge or whatever you might want to call it, to revive the D.B.B.S. for just that one occasion; Henk, Peter and I will present our respective Bluenose builds during the next gathering of the Modelbouwforum, regardless of build status. (Boy, this is getting out of control and way out of my comfort zone...Sick)
Somehow we should also be able to present your work on the WS/WB and let's include the Haarlem as well, for instance in the form of an extensive PowerPoint presentation of your posts on SOS.
@Henk Liebre and @Peter Voogt: what are your views on this proposal?
If our Bluenoses fit that year's theme!
There is an easier way:
Then I will download images from Heinrich’s build log, put them in a folder on my iPad and play them as a slideshow.

If our Bluenoses fit that year's theme!
There is an easier way:
Then I will download images from Heinrich’s build log, put them in a folder on my iPad and play them as a slideshow.
Good, what you say Peter, provided our builds fit this year's theme, I'm committed.
And your idea to add Heinrich's build log sounds pretty good to me as well.

My dearest friends I am honored that you want to present my work as well, but seeing that I post on Modelbouwforum as well, everyone is well familiar with my work. Also, there is no theme whatsoever to the meeting day. The sub-club which is normally represented at this particular gathering is Historische Seilschepen, so you will be more than welcome.

I was planning to bring my Sub as well, but I'll be refused at the door I'm afraid
(comes here if you want to go somewhere, lately also a lot)
You will never be refused Henk. One of the most respected members on the forum is also building a sub.
Henk, when they see the up-comming pictures of your sub, I suppose that you are more then welcom.
And you are right Heinrich: It was ‘Ontmoetingsdag Historische Scheepsmodelbouw’, with on the popster “Historische Scheepsmodellen EXPO”. Henk’s sub is ‘historical’ and ‘a schip’ (when not diving)!
It even becomes 'pulling numbers' there, to regulatie the row of viewers for the sub. :)

Last edited:
Henk, when they see the up-comming pictures of your sub, I suppose that you are more then welcom.
And you are right Heinrich: It was ‘Ontmoetingsdag Historische Scheepsmodelbouw’, with on the popster “Historische Scheepsmodellen EXPO”. Henk’s sub is ‘historical’ and ‘a schip’ (when not diving)!
It even becomes 'pulling numbers' there, to regulatie the row of viewers for the sub. :)
Absolutely. You will have to carry out crowd control when it comes to viewing Henk's sub.

Good, first off; I haven't finished building frames. Right now I have 22 frames assembled, beveled and fit checked to the keel assembly and the jig. I followed up on Dean's suggestion to use spacers to ensure equidistant frames in case of a twisted frames and made myself quite a few spacers.
I also modified the jig setup in order to have better access from both bottom- and top sides. For me this is a little bit of trial and error, the coming weeks will show the feasibility of this setup.

Modified assembly jig. Distance between base plate and main jig 150mm. Cutout in base plate enlarged.
May add keel assembly support later on, when and if the need arises.
B2E432EE-BC99-4CEC-B70F-170A78674709.jpeg

Ref post #1419 of Peter Voogt's Bluenose build log:
First started with the hand-drill. After 10 holes, I broke my drill bit. Then with the Dremel with a few mm pointed drill and it went very well:
View attachment 283175

The toothpicks pointed into the Byrnes Drawplate in hole 26:
View attachment 283176

And started gluing:
View attachment 283177

Now get rid of a stock, cut off, repoint and reuse. 'We are economical'.
Regards, Peter
"I showed the Admiral, Ellen, these pictures and briefly discussed the various options, as shown and described in earlier posts. I was of a half mind to use the tweak, using an old fashioned draftsman's pencil. This idea was shot down real quick by the Admiral"

I'm afraid I am now committed to adding trenails to my build. So I bought some toothpicks and ran a first test on a piece of scrap. The RH row in both pictures is done by a 0,5mm pencil. The center row is an example of simulated tree nails by a 0,3mm pencil. The third row, the LH row are trenails made by toothpicks. I have to admit I find the "toothpick" option the most convincing; subtle but there. This means I will not continue frame assembly, but I will be drilling, filling and sanding some 360 holes, before returning to frame assembly...

13C33A3A-F2FE-4B27-8568-A6A65E5695F8.jpegView attachment 2836192C2CD0A6-CC0B-4B81-BFAE-26756D9B0FE2.jpeg

First frames provided with trenails. So far it is doable, but tedious. I am considering applying either line seed- or Danish oil on the fwd- and aft sides of the frames, prior to bonding the frames to the keel. These faces are now still accessible...

Drilled holes, dia 0,6mm
4D60F848-4E5E-434B-88E8-11E17F7F4739.jpeg

Create your own hedgehog...
BFC57AD1-1BA0-4E04-9010-BD1228D8A86E.jpeg

After clipping, filing and sanding. I'm hoping that applying lineseed- or Danish oil will accentuate the trenails like it did on @Peter Voogt's build, otherwise it was an exercise in perseverance, with little to show for.
F07603D3-5196-4D8C-875C-62ADFB81D50A.jpeg

First frames provided with trenails. So far it is doable, but tedious. I am considering applying either line seed- or Danish oil on the fwd- and aft sides of the frames, prior to bonding the frames to the keel. These faces are now still accessible...

Drilled holes, dia 0,6mm
View attachment 284241

Create your own hedgehog...
View attachment 284238

After clipping, filing and sanding. I'm hoping that applying lineseed- or Danish oil will accentuate the trenails like it did on @Peter Voogt's build, otherwise it was an exercise in perseverance, with little to show for.
View attachment 284239
Looks good, Johan. But look out for the places where you have to glue the inside beams. Where oil is, glue wont glue! The linseed oil fills the wood through and through.
And about the size you perhaps will not see ….. you and I know they are there…..

Looks good, Johan. But look out for the places where you have to glue the inside beams. Where oil is, glue wont glue! The linseed oil fills the wood through and through.
And about the size you perhaps will not see ….. you and I know they are there…..
Good point! I was counting on a bond line between the longitudinal bearing beams and the lower deck floorbeams. I anticipated to use the sides of the frames as positioning surfaces in the fore/aft direction, but not as bond surface.

Back