YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Oil and glue is not a good idea - Peter is absolutely correct. I know it is tempting, but rather prevent frustration later.

Oil and glue is not a good idea - Peter is absolutely correct. I know it is tempting, but rather prevent frustration later.
As I wrote in my reply to Peter; I thought the forward and aft frame surfaces to be free of any interface, other than a contact surface for the cross beams. So, based on your and Peter's reaction, I'm holding back on applying any finish at this stage.

Hi Johan. Building on different stages of the frames keeps your mind clear. And a nice treenailing on your frames.
Regards, Peter
Hey Peter,
That's exactly why I am just doing that; building in stages doesn't get that terribly boring ánd you have to shift focus.
The trenails go in unexpectedly well, once I found the rythm. I don't use a draw plate like you do, but inserting a toothpick with just a little adhesive, while applying some force with a pair of tweezers gives a convincing result. The wood of the toothpicks is softer than the wood of the frames, this results in the tip of the toothpick conforming more or less to the hole in the frame. A dry fitted toothpick confirmed this, still slightly conical, but a little adhesive fills the remaining voids, according to theory.
Still hundreds of trenails to go.... and 28 frames, progress is being made!

Not so much in terms of progress, but a few weeks back I experienced some frame breaks, which I repaired, using pins and adhesive. On frame sixteen, the frame broke at deck level with about a 60* angle relative to the deck plane. I repaired this frame with my favored method. Yesterday evening, while I was inserting trenails in the frame, the repair became undone, meaning I used the wrong repair method for that particular break. The frame breakage may be for 70% contributed to my clumsiness, the remaining 30% I blame on the brittle pear wood. I tested that on the remains of the broken frame part and I found that the wood breaks with little elastic deformation and almost no warning prior to failure.
In all it took a couple of hours to perform the repair. A good thing I didn't throw out the leftover waste material...

Broken frame (right) with replacement part drawn on a leftover piece of wood on the left
994DD683-18A2-48D4-B054-482A4F2E5A5F.jpeg

Removed broken frame part from frame assembly. Piece of cake; some steam and it became undone very nicely.
5B177CA3-E7E1-424D-9A73-710F7D37BF1F.jpeg

Raw cut replacement part.
66E42B72-40A8-4235-BAD0-16216C9596B7.jpeg

Completed frame assembly with raw trimmed frame part.
6CAAE6DF-6774-4476-A661-C7BA6B6DEFEF.jpeg

Semi-final trim and repaired frame 16 assembly. Glad it's done...
(Final trim to take place prior to planking.)
C2BE477A-584D-4F61-B8BE-4E5BE1E27F29.jpeg

Last edited:
Not so much in terms of progress, but a few weeks back I experienced some frame breaks, which I repaired, using pins and adhesive. On frame sixteen, the frame broke at deck level with about a 60* angle relative to the deck plane. I repaired this frame with my favored method. Yesterday evening, while I was inserting trenails in the frame, the repair became undone, meaning I used the wrong repair method for that particular break. The frame breakage may be for 70% contributed to my clumsiness, the remaining 30% I blame on the brittle pear wood. I tested that on the remains of the broken frame part and I found that the wood breaks with little elastic deformation and almost no warning prior to failure.
In all it took a couple of hours to perform the repair. A good thing I didn't throw out the leftover waste material...

Broken frame (right) with replacement part drawn on a leftover piece of wood on the left
View attachment 285639

Removed broken frame part from frame assembly. Piece of cake; some steam and it became undone very nicely.
View attachment 285640

Raw cut replacement part.
View attachment 285642

Completed frame assembly with raw trimmed frame part.
View attachment 285644

Semi-final trim and repaired frame 16 assembly. Glad it's done...
(Final trim prior to take place prior to planking.)
View attachment 285647
“Wie wat bewaard, die heeft wat!”. Who kept something, have something.
A nice replacement. But hopefully it is ones. :)
Regards, Peter

Keep in mind, all of the frame above the thin area will be removed later! That is the top of the bulwarks.
See below, I marked the approximate cut off line...
View attachment 285679
Thanks Dean, I probably could have used a different geometry for the top bit, but I wanted to be able to check the repaired frame against the drawing, to ensure proper positioning later in the jig.
So I simply copied the geometry of the drawing on the repair part.
Still have to mark the top of the stanchion, but I was so glad I could repair the frame...

Johan, I have broken at least three frames ... but with a little patience they are back "skilled and enlisted"!

Also because the frames, in that point, do not have a great job to support, are glued to the bulwarks and to the beams of the bridge.
By the way, a great job of patience and manual skill!
Yeah, the frames are delicate, especially where the cross section of the frames changes abruptly.
For an ex-airframe designer a no-no...

Thanks for your compliment, Piero; it's appreciated.

Today I learned that the schooner reportedly has Dutch roots. Is that why I am so fascinated with the Bluenose? ;)
A quote from an article in 41*N Magazine, pages 2 through 11:
"Marquardt, a marine artist, model maker, and re- searcher, studied the schooner in Europe, America, and Australia. The first two-masted vessels with gaff sails, forerunners of the schooners, were the speeljachts
of the Netherlands, a country marked by networks of waterways and canals, he posits. The Dutch word speeljacht means play or pleasure yachts; these were the years of the Dutch Golden Age, when the Republic dominated as a sea power; water recreation played a year-round role in citizens’ lives.
“If one looks to the speeljacht as the grandfather
of the schooner,” Marquardt writes, “then nobody earns the title of father more than the Royal Transport.”
The Royal Transport is widely cited as a critical benchmark in the evolution of the schooner.
According to Marquardt, in the late 1600s, against a backdrop of a regular flow of traffic between England and Holland, as well as the British reign of the Dutch-born William of Orange, the 90-foot Royal Transport was launched, in 1695. Royal Transport gained favor quickly, and the rig trend jumped from Britain and Europe to North America—and back.
“The preference for the schooner rig was due to its better suitability for a long and small vessel and the lesser number of deckhands needed in comparison to a sloop rig,” Marquardt writes."

Last edited:
View attachment 286115
Buona sera Pietro, può esserti utile?
Hey Frank,

I had your post going through Google translate; my Italian conversing capabilities are non-existent...
My guess is that we have a translation issue. Let me explain:
During the last few weeks Peter, Henk and I met in person. Given that we all live relatively close to one another makes that easily accomplished.
Currently the three of us are in various stages of our Bluenose plank-on-frame build. Once a year, conditions (covid-19) permitting, a day is organized, somewhere in the Netherlands, where builders can show their builds to colleague builders and other interested visitors. One thing led to another and we challenged ourselves into committing to participate in the next event with our respective builds, regardless of build status.
We also talked about Heinrich's Willem Barentsz/Witte Swaen build and how nice it would be for Heinrich to share his accomplishments with the Dutch public. Given Heinrich's present country of residence, that's not an option.
That's why Peter proposed to copy the most interesting photos, as posted by Heinrich on this forum and show those as a continuous presentation during that day.
Actually I'm a little bit lost as to why you posted the appreciated reference to "Ship modeling simplified". I know that book, but I'm afraid I'm missing the context with Peter's posting.

Migliori saluti,

Giovanni

Last edited:
Back