YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The 2 bearing beams for the front/between floor are also included. They are not that big and run over frames 4 to 12. But no less laborious for that. You are working with your big hands in the bow.
The trick with applying the markings and aligning with the large skewers didn't work here. The 2 beams are right next to each other and every small unevenness is immediately punished. Made 2 attempts to get them aligned.

But the advantage of looking ahead in the manual also brought a solution.
199 FrontBeams.jpg
The drawing shows that these small bearing beams run parallel to the deck and skin planks. And so to the bearing beams of that deck.
That's why I have made 3 planks at the right size between both bearing beams: For the beginning, halfway and the end:
200 FrontBeams.jpg
Pushed the 2 bearing beams into place in such a way that the 3 planks got stuck under the top bearing beams and then everything with the clamps fastened to dry.
With the result next to it.

And this photo from the side shows the comparison with the drawing:
201 FrontBeams.jpg

For me these 2 beams are now called “Little Basterds”. It bought the necessary time and energy to get them neatly in place.

The YQ tutorial now continues with the 2 planks next to the keelson. But that's where I made the sisters keelson for. Then the nest step would be the floor beams for the lower decks.
But the aforementioned Saga also shows 2 bearing beams in the rear of the hull. I'm going to make them scratch from remnants of the sheets from which the keel parts come out. That has the desired thickness and I think I can saw the right length for these 2 beams.

So to be continued.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The 2 bearing beams for the front/between floor are also included. They are not that big and run over frames 4 to 12. But no less laborious for that. You are working with your big hands in the bow.
The trick with applying the markings and aligning with the large skewers didn't work here. The 2 beams are right next to each other and every small unevenness is immediately punished. Made 2 attempts to get them aligned.

But the advantage of looking ahead in the manual also brought a solution.
View attachment 242232
The drawing shows that these small bearing beams run parallel to the deck and skin planks. And so to the bearing beams of that deck.
That's why I have made 3 planks at the right size between both bearing beams: For the beginning, halfway and the end:
View attachment 242233
Pushed the 2 bearing beams into place in such a way that the 3 planks got stuck under the top bearing beams and then everything with the clamps fastened to dry.
With the result next to it.

And this photo from the side shows the comparison with the drawing:
View attachment 242234

For me these 2 beams are now called “Little Basterds”. It bought the necessary time and energy to get them neatly in place.

The YQ tutorial now continues with the 2 planks next to the keelson. But that's where I made the sisters keelson for. Then the nest step would be the floor beams for the lower decks.
But the aforementioned Saga also shows 2 bearing beams in the rear of the hull. I'm going to make them scratch from remnants of the sheets from which the keel parts come out. That has the desired thickness and I think I can saw the right length for these 2 beams.

So to be continued.
Regards, Peter
I admire your careful and precise work. A thing to behold! Rich

The last 2 beams.
As I wrote in the previous post, I came across these 2 beams in the book “Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners” by L.B. Jenson.
On pg. 40 are these drawings, so with the above source reference and purely to illustrate the build of my model:
202 Stringer.jpg
They call these beams "Stringers". I accentuated them in both drawings.
These are of course drawings of the BN-II. But it is mentioned that the main construction has been taken over almost completely from the original BN and that the interior in particular is partly different.

I think those rear beams also make sense, because now the hull has 3 longitudinal reinforcements over the full length:
1-below:
- the keel;
2 middle:
- the front/between floor bearing beams over the frames 4 – 12;
- the under floor bearing beams over the frames 13 – 43;
- the rear floor springers over the frames 41 – 57;
3-upper:
- the front deck bearing beams over the frames 1 – 27;
- the aft deck bearing beams over the frames 27 – 57.

From the scrap wood of the sheet from which the keel parts came, I was able to saw a few strips of 2.7 mm / 0.106”.
The Saga stated in the drawing in the stringers:
“Stringers: 3 ft off centre, extends to first square frame”.
The drawing shows them running over the aft 16 frames.
3 ft = 91.44 cm and in 1:72 it is 12.7 mm / 0.5”.
In the model, they come at the stern to lie in the longitudinal direction exactly between the keel and the top bearing beams. And to the front connect exactly against the 1st floor beam of the under floor.
203 Stringer.jpg
I clamped the 1st floor beam in place for a while, so I could make the 2 beams neatly to size. With a little bevel on the outside, because there will (probably) also be a piece of floor on or between.

Nail holes marked, holes drilled, beams glued, clamped and let dry, nails put ....
Resulting in:
204 Stringer.jpg

To conclude this chapter about these inner reinforcement, some overall picture:
205 06-07.jpg
206 06-07.jpg
207 06-07.jpg

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The last 2 beams.
As I wrote in the previous post, I came across these 2 beams in the book “Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners” by L.B. Jenson.
On pg. 40 are these drawings, so with the above source reference and purely to illustrate the build of my model:
View attachment 242357
They call these beams "Stringers". I accentuated them in both drawings.
These are of course drawings of the BN-II. But it is mentioned that the main construction has been taken over almost completely from the original BN and that the interior in particular is partly different.

I think those rear beams also make sense, because now the hull has 3 longitudinal reinforcements over the full length:
1-below:
- the keel;
2 middle:
- the front/between floor bearing beams over the frames 4 – 12;
- the under floor bearing beams over the frames 13 – 43;
- the rear floor springers over the frames 41 – 57;
3-upper:
- the front deck bearing beams over the frames 1 – 27;
- the aft deck bearing beams over the frames 27 – 57.

From the scrap wood of the sheet from which the keel parts came, I was able to saw a few strips of 2.7 mm / 0.106”.
The Saga stated in the drawing in the stringers:
“Stringers: 3 ft off centre, extends to first square frame”.
The drawing shows them running over the aft 16 frames.
3 ft = 91.44 cm and in 1:72 it is 12.7 mm / 0.5”.
In the model, they come at the stern to lie in the longitudinal direction exactly between the keel and the top bearing beams. And to the front connect exactly against the 1st floor beam of the under floor.
View attachment 242358
I clamped the 1st floor beam in place for a while, so I could make the 2 beams neatly to size. With a little bevel on the outside, because there will (probably) also be a piece of floor on or between.

Nail holes marked, holes drilled, beams glued, clamped and let dry, nails put ....
Resulting in:
View attachment 242359

To conclude this chapter about these inner reinforcement, some overall picture:
View attachment 242360
View attachment 242361
View attachment 242362

Regards, Peter
I wondered about that. Same with decking. I used strips to install 1/2 decking on not just the lower beams, but also on the forward deck beams. Just because.

Your work looks great.

I wondered about that. Same with decking. I used strips to install 1/2 decking on not just the lower beams, but also on the forward deck beams. Just because.

Your work looks great.
Thanxs for the reply, EJ.
The text in the post was perhaps 'a little bit' long. Where are you wondering about?
My BN will also be 1/2 planked on the floors and walls, on the port side. Of course with AL-FI ;).
Regards, Peter

Thanxs for the reply, EJ.
The text in the post was perhaps 'a little bit' long. Where are you wondering about?
My BN will also be 1/2 planked on the floors and walls, on the port side. Of course with AL-FI ;).
Regards, Peter
The wondering was about - were there more decks below the main deck, etc. Just thinking out loud. Obviously, there were more decked levels below the main deck as your research has shown.

I also thought - gosh, if there were deck beams (as supplied in the bow area) , why was there no decking provided? So - I decked the port side of both the lowest deck and the forward deck, just because I thought it looked correct. I also thought about bulkheads and the inner side of the frames being planked, but decided against going down that rabbit hole.

Apparently, great minds think alike.

The wondering was about - were there more decks below the main deck, etc. Just thinking out loud. Obviously, there were more decked levels below the main deck as your research has shown.

I also thought - gosh, if there were deck beams (as supplied in the bow area) , why was there no decking provided? So - I decked the port side of both the lowest deck and the forward deck, just because I thought it looked correct. I also thought about bulkheads and the inner side of the frames being planked, but decided against going down that rabbit hole.

There was a deck at the stern for the cabin, a ladder going down to it from the cabin doors…a lot of details were left out, it is just basic framing provided. So…up to the builder how much research and additional detail.

Peter,

Read your post Read your post #442

With today's knowledge, wouldn't it have been easier to apply this earlier?

I read Donnie's post, with Heinrich's response to this, that the logic in China is different from our European standards, it reminded me when I read post #442

Aha EJ, now I understand. You are correct: when there is a deck of deck beams, then it can be decked. :)
Every week or month I found more information about the BN. Luckely I am not going fast ;) , so I can change my plans. I ordered this week ‘The Wich in the WInd’. Perhaps there is more information, as Rich quoted.
Regards, Peter

There was a deck at the stern for the cabin, a ladder going down to it from the cabin doors…a lot of details were left out, it is just basic framing provided. So…up to the builder how much research and additional detail.
You are correct Dean.
In The Saga there are drawings of different cabins. In the rear for the Captain, it appears on the starboard side. But also some others for some crew members.
On a drawing you see the stairs and in the door opnening you got a glimp of the Steering Wheel. But it is a impression of the schooner ‘Caroline Rose’. AL-FI will help me with the disign of the inside. :D
Regards, Peter

Have n't been here for a few days, nice progression with nice pictures.
I see on the Dutch Forum that your work is highly appreciated.
Rightly so
Hi Henk,
On the Dutch forum it is only you and me who are building the BN. There it is a ‘kind of special’. ;)
Her on the SoS we have now 18 build-log, with 40 (open registered) shiped.
But (luckely) all the builds are different :) and nice to follow all of them.
Peter,
Read your post Read your post #442
With today's knowledge, wouldn't it have been easier to apply this earlier?
I read Donnie's post, with Heinrich's response to this, that the logic in China is different from our European standards, it reminded me when I read post #442
I do not think so, IMHO. The upper bearing beams were longer and easier to align. I could now nicely align this smaller on those longer beams. With the help of my own made spacers. The fact that they run parallel to each other is not described in the manual. You can only see it in the drawings. Only that you have to apply them on the marking lines, if they still exist after sanding. ;)

About ‘different logic’: A developer thinks differently about a manual than a builder/user. I experienced this myself when a company was building an complex application for my work department (CSI Analyses). What they has written Sick .... Then I sat down next to those builders and I translated their input into what makes sense for the user.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Great comments and inputs guys. @Henk Liebre Henk, I don't know if it is case of a different logic - it is just that I think they attach far less importance to the instructions. And the reason for that is the dedicated pages that each model manufacturer has - very much the same as what we have here in the group build. The big difference is that a company like Unicorn, for instance, has 120 000 plus followers on their dedicated page - so you can imagine the wealth of information that is at hand to everyone.

Great comments and inputs guys. @Henk Liebre Henk, I don't know if it is case of a different logic - it is just that I think they attach far less importance to the instructions. And the reason for that is the dedicated pages that each model manufacturer has - very much the same as what we have here in the group build. The big difference is that a company like Unicorn, for instance, has 120 000 plus followers on their dedicated page - so you can imagine the wealth of information that is at hand to everyone.
Thanks Heinrich, for this understanding reply.
Just a question that now arises: does YQ have its own website?
Searching the web I found nothing.
Regards, Peter

Hoi Peter. None of the Chinese manufacturers (the only exception is CAF as far as I know) has a website. All the marketing gets done directly on Taobao and Jidong. Websites are old news in China - no one uses them anymore.

You are correct Dean.
In The Saga there are drawings of different cabins. In the rear for the Captain, it appears on the starboard side. But also some others for some crew members.
On a drawing you see the stairs and in the door opnening you got a glimp of the Steering Wheel. But it is a impression of the schooner ‘Caroline Rose’. AL-FI will help me with the disign of the inside. :D
Regards, Peter
We have to keep in mind that Saga is primarily about BN II. As far as I have been able to ascertain there are NO drawings about the compartmentation below the deck on the actual BN, only some descriptions that don't help a builder; even the statement that for the Chicago World Fair "the fish holds were removed . . . and quarters on one side built and displays on the other (I don't have that page in front of me right now). Rich

We have to keep in mind that Saga is primarily about BN II. As far as I have been able to ascertain there are NO drawings about the compartmentation below the deck on the actual BN, only some descriptions that don't help a builder; even the statement that for the Chicago World Fair "the fish holds were removed . . . and quarters on one side built and displays on the other (I don't have that page in front of me right now). Rich
Thanxs for the info, Rich.
So, nothing is (officially) known of the inside.;)
So, nothing is (officially) wrong if I build ‘something’ of the inside. With the help of AL-FI. :)
Regards, Peter

Back