ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

Thank you Andy, yes it seems to be going on forever, when my good friend ( Greg the Peg Leg :p:p:p ) talked me into starting the boat I thought it would be a quick build, still have aways to go yet, but I'm enjoying it, and also enjoying pulling Gregs leg, have to be careful I don't pull the wrong one it might come off, :):):),

best regards John.

G'day John
I am so, so glad that I've talk you into doing this fantastic model before me!
The only problem is, I've got huge shoes to follow when I'm doing it.
:eek:
Be careful which leg you pull, if you pull the middle one, it will play 'jingle bells'.o_O
Happymodeling my friend
Greg

G'day John
I am so, so glad that I've talk you into doing this fantastic model before me!
The only problem is, I've got huge shoes to follow when I'm doing it.
:eek:
Be careful which leg you pull, if you pull the middle one, it will play 'jingle bells'.o_O
Happymodeling my friend
Greg
Does that mean you're changing your name to Jake The Peg.
Cheers Andy

Congratulation....the oars are looking realy very realistic.... very good work

I knew what you were talking about Greg, I was trying and failing to be clever.;)
Sorry for going off topic in your excellent build log John
Andy

No worries Andy, a little bit of light heartiness helps put a more Human touch to the build,

best regards John.

Congratulation....the oars are looking realy very realistic.... very good work

Thank you Uwek for your nice comments, I decided to leave the carvings at the end of the oars the way they were, I think they look ok,

best regards John.

I have now finished the oars,

I used paper strips painted black for the reinforcement on the end of the oar blades, instead of the copper strip
that comes in the kit, the paper in my opinion looks a lot smoother than what the copper would and also sticks a lot easier as well.

John.

G'day John
When I'll be doing mine, (I just remembered of a technique that I have seen years ago)...I'm going to try to use black heat shrink, cut to size on the oars after shrinking, (that is the stuff use over wiring after soldering to protect the wire from 'shorting out' from one to another.)
IP44A2.jpg
I've seen this done for the banding the wooden stock on an anchor, and it was quite effective. There were talk about how long it will last, but my brother used that stuff 40 years ago and it's still ok now!
Anyway the paper looks GREAT mate.
Havagooday
Greg

Hey Greg,
thats an awesome idea about using the heat shrink banding on the anchor stock. I have never thought of that before and will give it a try.
Thanks for the idea, thats something I have learned today.
Cheers buddy.

You are welcome Brian.
It wasn't my idea, but I'm please to spread it around. It's also good for the banding on the hand pumps etc.
Havagooday
Greg

G'day all
Luz and I would like to say to all the Ozzies out there:
A very happy and a safe
AUSTRALIA DAY.
God bless our beautiful country and it's multifold of people, who are now proud Australians.
Havagooday to all
Greg

Sorry John for high jacking your log!

After finishing the oars I decided to make the Keg that goes in the boat.

508.jpg
These are the parts they give you to make the keg

509.jpg
The keg was very smooth and did not need any additional finishing, I removed the top and the bottom for the keg,
pic shows one end glued in place.

510.jpg
I squared a line up the side of the keg for reference

511.jpg
I ran a black tetra pen down each edge of the staves, then started attaching them.

512.jpg
After attaching all the staves, I added the bands, again using the painted black paper, in the bottom right corner
is the spigot ( tap ) that goes in the keg.

513.jpg
A couple of pics of the finished keg on its stand, I will give the keg a coat of matt varnish tomorrow.

514.jpg

a very nice detail with the keg, looks realy good. Only the spigot of the kit seems to be a little bit out of scale, but no matter....very nice add-on

G'day John
Again amazing work! The details in this kit surprise me all the time, as I haven't gone completely through it yet, piece by piece of extra stuff that is inside.
Havagooday mate
Greg

That's a great looking Barrel, there seems to be a lot of detailed parts going onto that little boat. You just need to fill the barrel with some Coopers Celebration Ale for when you finish the R.C.
Cheers Andy

Back