ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

It depends on your light setup too,hard to tell ,looks a little bit glossy maybe your light are too close to the boat?

G'day John
Great and informative step by step instructions that I'll be using. Thanks a million mate.
One question though, would it be safer to cut the pole the correct height before glueing it on the boat rather cutting the pole after glueing on the canopy, and then use a dremel? Your ways you will have to sand the top afterwards I thought.
I just don't trust myself in using a dremel saw that close to a delicate carvings. One slip and it's an 'oh dear' moment . o_O;)
Havagooday
Greg

Last edited:
This boat is coming realy nice. As I mentioned before a nice project by itself, with a lot of details.
Very well done.
On the photos it looks somehow shiny, glossy, but I guess it is because of the flash on the photo. You are the one who sees the boat correctly like it is real........I like it very much.

Thanks Zoly and Uwe, I will have a think about it, might try and get some of what we used to call in the UK egg shell finish, its just in between matt and satin,

thank you, best regards john .

G'day Greg, it is brass tube that you get in the kit and if you try and cut it with side cutters it will squeeze the tube before cutting it, with the diamond wheel if you can control it OK it cuts and sands it with one go, as long as you hold it steady,

best regards John.

Hi Greg, I found it easier to glue the poles in and then set the height of the canopy, glue it and then cut the excess off after,

best regards John.

Thanks Zoly and Uwe, I will have a think about it, might try and get some of what we used to call in the UK egg shell finish, its just in between matt and satin,

thank you, best regards john .

Hi John,I am using only satin or flat matt varnish,I think thats the best for ship models

Hi John, the canopy looks really good, maybe it is a bit glossy, although you could say it has just rained on the boat, not that unusual here in the UK. I think the canopy supports would look great if you removed the varnish spots and polished the brass, I have heard lots of stories about polishing Brass on Navy ships.

Cheers Andy

Hi John,

If I were building the model, I think I would have done the brass canopy poles the same way you did. Good job. One quick question and you may have already given the information but there's so much to read in your build log that I haven't had time to read it all. My questions is, what kind of stain are you using? What color? or is it all natural finish?

I've always used a wipe on poly made by Minwax on my models. It comes in a glossy and satin finish. It's very thin so it isn't real heavy looking on the model. It usually takes a lot of coats to get a heavy look.

Take care,

Bob

Thanks to all who commented and hit the like button, they are much appreciated, the varnish I am using is an oil based Wattyll satin finish, the colour is Jarrah.

Thanks again,

best regards John.

My Admiral was using some clear satin finish on some wood burning she was doing and I gave the boat a coat of it,
it is by the same maker but it wasn't as bright as the satin stain varnish I had used previously.
I have attached the lace work around the top of the canopy, this is the best I can get it, I tried to ruffle it up a bit
more but it didn't look right, and the keg is glued in place by the rear seats, but I think I might have to darken the
oars a little bit,

557.jpg

558.jpg

559.jpg

560.jpg

561.jpg

G'day john
I have always like your eye for details. I noticed that on the front view shot, that you put the lace pattern in the centre under the royal emblem.
Well done memattie!
Havagooday
Greg

Great work seen here.

I don't know anything about ships of the past; well matter of fact, ships of any period. The above boat looks very dainty. Seeing the keg (of rum?) there sort of threw me. It reminded me of my mother. She would buy 100 eggs and a few bottles of cognac. From the eggs yoke, egg cognac. From the egg whites, pavlova. Then she would invite all her girlfriends over for a party.

The new varnish is looking realy better, also with flashlight. The boat is a real good example of good modeling ..... congratulations

Back