ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

I just remembered something that I had to do on the rudder and its best to do it now so I don't
have to turn the ship over again, its the waterproof boot that stops water getting in through the
rudder opening,

814.jpg
This is the piece that I mean, awkward little sucker to get at,

815.jpg
view of the under water body,

816.jpg
and the boot after nailing in place,

Last edited:
I just remembered something that I had to do on the rudder and its best to do it now so I don't
have to turn the ship over again, its the waterproof boot that stops water getting in through the
rudder opening,

View attachment 130443
This is the piece that I mean, awkward little sucker to get at,

View attachment 130444
view of the under water body,

View attachment 130445
and the boot after nailing in place,

Beautiful work Neptune, just beautiful. How did you manage to get the lower hull eggshell smooth? I'm still struggling with mine.

Beautiful work Neptune, just beautiful. How did you manage to get the lower hull eggshell smooth? I'm still struggling with mine.

G'day Gennaro, I cannot take all the credit for the hull, the bulkheads when trimmed back to the beveling laser mark that was on the bulkheads that had to be beveled was so exact that when they were glued to the keel, and the planking was added, the planking just flowed through, it was a real pleasure to plank,

best regards john,

817.jpg
So I made a start on attaching the Lanthorns, here you can see the holes drilled to take the
support arms, and the middle arm sitting in place, not yet glued,

818.jpg
The three Lanthorns just sitting in place,

819.jpg
the connecting wires,

820.jpg
just testing the middle one,

821.jpg
and lit up,

822.jpg
the three of them lit up, nothing is glued yet,

824.jpg
And then everything just blacked out, I tested everything, the Lanthorns would light up off the model, but not
when I put them back on, this pic shows the wires where I cut the Lanthorns off,

825.jpg
I was going to pull the wires through and try again when two of the wires coming out from the top of the transom
snapped off, that was it then, earlier in the build I had blown all the lights when i connected the wrong battery by
mistake, on that occasion I cut out the after deck and rewired, but I'm not brave enough to try that again, so I will
just mount the Lanthorns as they are without the LEDs, so take warning and make sure all is OK before enclosing
the deck,

823.jpg
so I took all the Lanthorns apart and removed the LED,s and cleaned them up for gluing back to-gether,

826.jpg
So this is the Lanthorns all glued in place now, I will paint the support arms black, they still have to be bent and
twisted to the best position,

827.jpg
Side view

828.jpg
This is a view of the side of the cabin with the lights off,

829.jpg
and with the lights on, might be a bit luckier with these ones, I told you I wasn't much of an electrician, I'm feeling
a little bit down, havn't had a good month so far,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

830.jpg
The start of adding the furnishings to the cabin, I have attached the picture, ( thank you to Maarten for the idea ) and
also the small sideboard,

831.jpg
The rest of the furniture sitting on deck waiting to be fitted,

832.jpg
I had originally intended to fit the lights to the rear bulkhead of the cabin, but changed my mind and I have now
attached them to the cabin roof, so I have two holes to cover over,

833.jpg
My Admiral had two of these little earrings that she didn't use a lot, so after asking nicely I used them to
cover the holes,

834.jpg
looking in through the port side cabin doorway,

835.jpg
and a another view through the starboard side doorway,

836.jpg
and an overall view looking down into the cabin, the floor has to have a couple of coats of varnish yet,

This is an absolutely beautiful build. The attention to detail is simply mind-boggling. It looks to me like the Royal Caroline brings out the absolute best in her builders!

thank you Heinrich for your very generous comment, this kit is a delight to build, but I must say that you have to put a lot of thought into it, I have made a couple of mistakes, but problem solving is a part of model building,

best regards john,

Back