1/200 Titanic hull painted

For those of you building the 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic here is a useful link that I came across recently.
I hope its helpful to you.
https://www.buildingthetitanic.com/
Thanks for this link. I am thinking of building this boat myself. I like to prepare before starting a new project. And there are so many upgrades you can buy for this ship.

With best regards
Helge S Hansen

Hi Heige,

it’s a big ship model and she will test you all the way.
it depends how far you want to go with it and also what sort of budget you have.
I have all the Woody’s model works brass photo etched sets for the superstructure and the interior spaces, which I haven’t even started to work with yet.
research what you want as there are some excellent after market products out there.
There are also some excellent YouTube videos that will be invaluable to you when building the model which will take you through each step.
If you go ahead and buy the Titanic model, then welcome to the Utter nutters club.

below is a photo of my 1/200 Titanic taken this evening

Beau.

AD589A44-D957-4487-9573-7FC0B5CB5D9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Heige,

it’s a big ship model and she will test you all the way.
it depends how far you want to go with it and also what sort of budget you have.
I have all the Woody’s model works brass photo etched sets for the superstructure and the interior spaces, which I haven’t even started to work with yet.
research what you want as there are some excellent after market products out there.
There are also some excellent YouTube videos that will be invaluable to you when building the model which will take you through each step.
If you go ahead and buy the Titanic model, then welcome to the Utter nutters club.

below is a photo of my 1/200 Titanic taken this evening

Beau.

View attachment 344619
Thank you for your feedback. And a nice photo. The Titanic is a fascinating ship, and unfortunately, one must say, this is due to the ship's tragic sinking on its maiden voyage.

There are many aftermarket products, perhaps a little too many, so that you can get a little confused. The best would have been a big "all in one" package.

With best regards

Helge

You May want to look at the build on " the Midwest Model shop on UTUBE. He has got all of the update kits, and shows and rates them. He also tells you where the speedbumps are. Jim

You May want to look at the build on " the Midwest Model shop on UTUBE. He has got all of the update kits, and shows and rates them. He also tells you where the speedbumps are. Jim
I've been following Ben and Nora's build of the Titanic at the Midwest Model shop and also heavily reference their build of the Arizona for my current build of that ship. They have great videos and provide a lot of detail, with solid reviews of after market add on kits. :)

...There are many aftermarket products, perhaps a little too many, so that you can get a little confused. The best would have been a big "all in one" package.

With best regards

Helge
Some good news, there are some sets that do include a significant number of parts, such as Pontos and KA and could be reasonably considered close to being "all in one".

An ocean liner is a extremely complicated structure with literally thousands of features. Since developing aftermarket replacement products for all of the several thousand visible features of an ocean liner is not practical, the question for an aftermarket vendor becomes deciding which features are most likely to generate enough sales to pay for the costly research and design work necessary to produce them. Generally, a few products that correct the most conspicuous kit errors are likely to sell best and satisfy the most modelers.

With their Titanic kit, Trumpeter got a lot right. But as many have pointed out, there are also some features that aren't quite right and some of those features are very conspicuous (the funnels and hull plating at the stern, for example). Some modelers will indeed want those features corrected, improved or replaced, but not all modelers. One modeler might find the kit's funnels to be good enough but another modeler might find them completely unacceptable. One modeler might be satisfied with the kit's hull's plating detail and another modeler might find the missing hull plating detail bothersome and demand replacement photo-etch plating. A different modeler might want the aftermarket photo-etch plating but simply can't afford it. That modeler will accept the kit's incomplete plating detail as it is out of necessity. In other words, there is a very wide variety of 1/200 scale Titanic modelers who have very different expectations, demands and budgets.

The popularity of Titanic as a modeling subject means that several aftermarket vendors will come forward to offer at least some more accurate replacement products for the kit. We ought to recognize that 1/200 scale Titanic modeling is a niche market among an already small market. The market for very large, very expensive ship kits is smaller than one might think. So an aftermarket vendor has to be very careful in choosing which products to offer in order to ensure there will be sufficient sales to pay for them. For example, our Titanic funnels took more than 300 hours to research and design and the scans of original Harland & Wolff builder's drawings used to create them were not cheap. That set of funnels was a very expensive project, and a financially risky one for us.

Therefore, a smaller vendor might choose to offer just a few products in order to "test the market waters", so to speak. If they sell well, that vendor may offer more. Very few vendors can afford to research and develop an "all in one" package for a complex ship like Titanic, for example one that includes comprehensive photoetch details, resin details, 3D-printed details, and correction parts like new funnels, propeller shaft wings, new bridge, interior detailing, ventilators, cranes, hatches, hull plating, etc.. The research and design effort for such a set would be extraordinarily costly and require significant sales to recoup the research and design costs. Most aftermarket vendors simply can't afford a project like that.

This is why we often see aftermarket vendors take a more à la carte approach to what they offer for extremely complex subjects like very large ship model kits, rather than offering comprehensive "all in one" sets. Smaller sets and individual replacement parts are more likely to appeal to more modelers and generate enough revenue to pay for the research and design costs necessary to create them.

Kudos to Pontos and KA for being able to offer their large sets.

Last edited:
Some good news, there are some sets that do include a significant number of parts, such as Pontos and KA and could be reasonably considered close to being "all in one".

An ocean liner is a extremely complicated structure with literally thousands of features. Since developing aftermarket replacement products for all of the several thousand visible features of an ocean liner is not practical, the question for an aftermarket vendor becomes deciding which features are most likely to generate enough sales to pay for the costly research and design work necessary to produce them. Generally, a few products that correct the most conspicuous kit errors are likely to sell best and satisfy the most modelers.

With their Titanic kit, Trumpeter got a lot right. But as many have pointed out, there are also some features that aren't quite right and some of those features are very conspicuous (the funnels and hull plating at the stern, for example). Some modelers will indeed want those features corrected, improved or replaced, but not all modelers. For example, one modeler might find the kit's funnels to be good enough but another modeler might find them completely unacceptable. One modeler might be satisfied with the kit's hull's plating detail and another modeler might find the missing hull plating detail bothersome and demand replacement photo-etch plating. A different modeler might want the aftermarket photo-etch plating but simply can't afford it. That modeler will accept the kit's incomplete plating detail as it is out of necessity. In other words, there is a very wide variety of 1/20 scale Titanic modelers who have very different expectations, demands and budgets.

The popularity of Titanic as a modeling subject means that several aftermarket vendors will come forward to offer at least some more accurate replacement products for the kit. We ought to recognize that 1/200 scale Titanic modeling is a niche market among an already small market. The market for very large, very expensive ship kits is smaller than one might think. So an aftermarket vendor has to be very careful in choosing which products to offer in order to ensure there will be sufficient sales to pay for them. For example, our Titanic funnels took more than 300 hours to research and design and the scans of original Harland & Wolff builder's drawings used to create them were not cheap. That set of funnels was a very expensive project, and a financially risky one for us.

Therefore, a smaller vendor might choose to offer just a few products in order to "test the market waters", so to speak. If they sell well, that vendor may offer more. Very few vendors can afford to research and develop an "all in one" package for a complex ship like Titanic, for example one that includes comprehensive photoetch details, resin details, 3D-printed details, and correction parts like new funnels, propeller shaft wings, new bridge, interior detailing, ventilators, cranes, hatches, hull plating, etc.. The research and design effort for such a set would be extraordinarily costly and require significant sales to recoup the research and design costs. Most aftermarket vendors simply can't afford a project like that.

This is why we often see aftermarket vendors take a more à la carte approach to what they offer for extremely complex subjects like very large ship model kits, rather than offering comprehensive "all in one" sets. Smaller sets and individual replacement parts are more likely to appeal to more modelers and generate enough revenue to pay for the research and design costs necessary to create them.

Kudos to Pontos and KA for being able to offer their large sets.
So absolutely agree with your considerations above.

After some research, I discovered that there were two portholes on the backs of both the forward and the rear dome casings on the Titanic.

On the Olympic there was a porthole on the front of the forward dome casing, but not on the Titanic.

There were also four portholes on either side of the forward casing, again not on the Titanic.

What I have done with the two dome casings should be as near correct as possible, however the dome casings on the model are not true to scale.

Both the heights and curve of the top edges are not correct.

For the portholes I use the KA photo etched parts A-07

I Hope this is helpful info.

IMG_20230122_171436.jpg

IMG_20230122_171443.jpg

Last edited:
After some research, I discovered that there were two portholes on the backs of both the forward and the rear dome casings on the Titanic.

On the Olympic there was a porthole on the front of the forward dome casing, but not on the Titanic.

There were also four portholes on either side of the forward casing, again not on the Titanic.

What I have done with the two dome casings should be as near correct as possible, however the dome casings on the model are not true to scale.

Both the heights and curve of the top edges are not correct.

For the portholes I use the KA photo etched parts A-07

I Hope this is helpful info.

View attachment 353044

View attachment 353045
Thanks for that handy tip mate. I starting work on some superstructure elements at the moment, so it's one to file away for reference. :)

Have finished painting the hull apart from small details i.e the yellow line between the hull and superstructure of my 1/200 Titanic.
Now working on painting all of the superstructure.
Played around with lighting the inside of the hull to see the effect.
Next big job is to pre cut acrylic rods and insert into the portholes and transparent sheet to fit into all the superstructure windows.
Should be a challenge
Hallo @Beau
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

follow them you will get everything you need step by step

as i did with mine took two years but its worth it

Back