1/200 Titanic hull painted

Hi everyone. This is a late comment on this topic, but I just bought the Trumpeter Titanic a few months ago and would like to add a reply to the Model Monkey comment. (sorry for my not so accurate English). Beside the purchase cost of aftermarket stuff, we as EU citizens (I am in Belgium) have to add serious import costs. And I can assure you that the most of these parts and kits are not to be found within the EU. A lot of them I can only found in the UK or USA or Korea or China or whatever other country. When I want to buy a little cheep part like for instance one of Model Monkey it will cost more to pay for VAT and custom clearance then the parts itself. I ordered a $10 (€9...) worth package at MicroScale in USA and paid €27,50 for EU entry...

My plan was to order stuff from Woody's MaritimeModels website, and do this sheet by sheet as the building progresses. Rather than that plan I ordered the complete kit available from his site, over €1000, and pick it up in the UK to avoid these ridiculous extra costs if I had ordered them piece by piece. It was cheaper for me to travel to the UK with my Motorcycle than to have the package sent to Belgium. But I am lucky to live close to Calais-Dover ferry lines, most of the people living in the EU are not so lucky. I also would have ordered parts from Model Monkey or other companies who make extra stuff for our hobby, but still in doubt if the extra import costs are worth paying them. I'm also building a Caldercraft HMS Victory and already received parts from Woody's site... and paid a lot of money for clearance.

I guess these taxes are not worth to buy small stuff from outside the EU for many modelers in order to improve little things on their model. In addition of this situation I think none of the modeler shops and websites within the EU provide all this beautiful stuff available in the world. There are hundreds of kits, and sheets and parts only to be found outside of the EU and thus not available for us at a reasonable price. All of the modeler shops do sell the Trumpeter and Airfix and all these kits, but none of them the aftermarket improvement stuff.

I hope my English made it clear enough to make my point ;-)

Daniel

We completely understand and agree (and your English is excellent!)

VAT, GST and other import taxes and fees frustrate customers and harm sales. Hopefully, a distributor or hobby shop in the EU and UK might choose to carry our products in the future. That may help take the sting of the tax authority away.

Great progress on your kit, I'm about to put mine back in the "drydock" as it's been in mothballs for a while!

I did end up with the Model Monkey stern plates, but they were super annoying to mess with, and in the end I got the "Midwest Model Shop" styrene plates as a substitute. I have also made my own windows that fit all the opening that I sold for a while, but I've ran out of acetate, and my wife doesn't want to make them anymore... Anyway, I sold quite a few before I stopped!

Cheers
H.

Have finished painting the hull apart from small details i.e the yellow line between the hull and superstructure of my 1/200 Titanic.
Now working on painting all of the superstructure.
Played around with lighting the inside of the hull to see the effect.
Next big job is to pre cut acrylic rods and insert into the portholes and transparent sheet to fit into all the superstructure windows.
Should be a challenge.
Hallo @Beau
we wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Today I managed to spray the funnels on my 1/200 Trumperter Titanic.

I think I got the Buff colour as close as I am going to get it.

The pictures don’t show the colour as it is in day light, but give a pretty good idea.

Received the Pontos detail set from China, which is incredibly well boxed, and contains a lot of nicely made parts.

One thing I would say is that I think the propellers are too small.

On opening the box I noticed that one piece of the photo etched had been cut out of one of the frets.
which I can’t understand why.

I have also ordered the KA models detail set with all the resin fittings so I am going to wait until I get that before I make a decision as to what I am going to use.

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend.View attachment 163981View attachment 163982
Your White Star Buff on the funnels looks really good. May I ask what colour, or combination of colours, you used?

Great work so far.

Back