17th Century Battle Station - HMS Mordaunt, 1:32 - DocBlake

Thanks, guys!

The 43rd Annual Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest & Display is coming up in Manitowoc, WI on May 17-19. I’m planning to show the Battle Station there, so I need to get her done. My original plan was to show the Blandford Cross Section, but I’m at least a few weeks from done with that project!

Thanks, guys!

The 43rd Annual Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest & Display is coming up in Manitowoc, WI on May 17-19. I’m planning to show the Battle Station there, so I need to get her done. My original plan was to show the Blandford Cross Section, but I’m at least a few weeks from done with that project!
We all hope, that you can show one of your beautiful models - the battle station is a great model
Please do not forget to make some photos of the other models and share with us :cool: would be great

Thanks, guys!

Good luck at the convention.....

Rob

God lick Dave! Wish you the gold medal, I am sure you will be one of the worthy rivals!

Thanks guys! I'm really most interested in showing how a bunch of guys with no experience can put their heads together, collaborate, and come up with a pretty good model that goes together easily. It was a fun project, for sure. Don and Mike: You'll both be getting full credit for the build. We did this as a team!

Because of the lid ports, I had to mount the guns in their full run out position, ready for firing. That meant that the tackle had the blocks right next to each other when I rigged them If I'd have rigged them any further inboard, you wouldn't be able to see them from the outboard side of the model, The picture shows the tackle in place, but the line is just loosely coiled and not glued down.

twoguns.jpg

Last edited:
Don actually made the barrels, but only 3 for each of us. I felt I needed some additional stuff to add a little interest to the gun deck. I decided to turn a few smaller barrels, some storage casks and three match tubs. The match tubs have a little recess on top for some white glue and then sand!

The parts are all turned on the lathe. The barrel bands are made by using a skew chisel to cut grooves in the parts for the bands before cutting the part from the stock. Black rigging line is glued into the grooves to complete the bands.

bar1.jpgbar2.jpgbar3.jpg

Guys: I'm thinking of leaving off the gun carriage tackle and going with just the breeching line for a cleaner look. Also, I don't want to go through the hassle of making the rope coils that lay on the deck. What do you think?

I like both! However, IMHO I like the one with the tackle in place it looks more complete, and the end of the tackle rope doesn't have to be coiled. Exactly as you show in the picture, maybe less long at the end.

Back