18th Century Longboat Model Expo 1:48

Very nice build Rob!
As you have not yet rigged the boom sheet, this might be an interesting point for discussion The instructions show the tiller over the horse. This configuration seems to have been taken from the famous Medway model at RMG which is an understandable thing to do. But it brings up the question of how the sheet block would move from one side to the other when the boat is being tacked without interfering with the tiller? Other than having the horse higher and the tiller passing under it I cannot think of a solution. Hope someone here does.
Allan
I agree with you 100%. This very problem is mentioned in the building instructions.

" Up to the mid-18thcentury, the horse was positioned as shown on the model.This presented a problem while sailing, as the tiller would getin the way. It wouldn’t allow the block to slide effortlessly from one side to the other.

To remedy this, during the second half of the 18th century,they started making the horse so it actually spanned over the tiller. You may opt to do so as well. But since this model is inspired by several contemporary longboat models in the NMM, it was created as shown on those models. These contemporary models represent the horse prior to the improvement being made."

I have no idea why they did this or why it took so long to figure out how to cure it by just making the horse taller than the tiller. It indeed would be of interest if anyone has the answer!

Last edited:
Now working on the rudder. The rudder was tapered and the forward edge rounded. Instead of uing the brass strip to hold the pins that comprise part of the pintles that fit into the gudgeons, I decided to drill a small hole into the notches on the rudder. The small pins made from 28 gage wire were glued into place using UV setting glue.

IMG_8799.jpeg

The rest of the pintles and grudgeons were shaped with the brass strapping and an eye bolt and was blacked using brass black.

IMG_8800.jpeg

The "ironworks" were attached to the rudder and boat using UV setting glue. Since the pintles are so small you have to be very careful about adjusting the height of the eye bolt and grudgeon before you attach them to the boat. I have heard of one fellow who mis-measured and had to drill another hole and move the eye bolt

:rolleyes:

IMG_8805.jpeg

UV cured glue sounds interesting. I know the crowns I have from my dentist are attached with UV setting glue and last forever, but I never thought of this for metal to wood on a model. Can this be sanded or otherwise be cleaned up without difficulty? I have tried to stay with epoxy but would welcome an alternative.
Thanks
Allan

UV cured glue sounds interesting. I know the crowns I have from my dentist are attached with UV setting glue and last forever, but I never thought of this for metal to wood on a model. Can this be sanded or otherwise be cleaned up without difficulty? I have tried to stay with epoxy but would welcome an alternative.
Thanks
Allan
I find UV setting gel an interesting alternative to CA. The advantage of it is that it is not sticky at all and will not set until you use a UV light. It then sets instantly. You can try it cheaply by getting a Bondic set. It can be sanded and wipes away cleanly before you set it.

For almost the same amount of money you can get a UV flashlight and several hundred grams of UV cement.

Now Starting to work on the mast, bowprit and boom. The mast is cut from 5/32" dowel and the bowsprit and boom from 1/8" dowel. After cutting to length, the mast had holes drilled into it to make sheaves. I started with a very small drill then enlarged the hole with bigger bits. I did this now before tapering the mast as to help prevent the wood from splitting.

IMG_8824.jpeg

I was hesitant to use a drill to taper the mast and bowsprit, so I went to a more labor intensive route and used sandpaper as I turn the dowel. It works but it is slow but I feel I have better control. The picture shows the Mast and bowsprit being tapered but the boom piece not yet done. the ball tuck for the top of the mast and the mast step were also shaped from spare 1/16" wood.

IMG_8826.jpeg

Back