Cad design Alfred stern cad designing

any of the above ideas will require first the design and drafting stage and then the R&D to see if it will actually work.
the kit would be in a large scale of 3/8 inch = a foot or 1:32

Last edited:
there are two types of frames in the Alfred one is double frames and the second are the single filler frames. You can butt glue the ends of the single frame pieces together but that would be a weak joint. Next is to use chocks but that adds a lot of work fitting all the chocks. What Harold did was to make the single frames double which makes for a strong frame but not historically correct.
To simplify construction of the single frames but keeping within historical accuracy the design of this would be to use chocks for the double frames and a lap scarf for the singles. The Alfred was built during a period of changes in frame construction, lap scarfs were first used then replaced by chocks and finally chocks by 1800 were replaced by butting the ends of the futtocks. During this period Chocks were use to join the lower 1st futtocks to the floors and cross crocks used to join floors, the upper sections of the frame used scarfs. So both methods were used at the time of the Alfred.

these frames are thick .400 and that might be a bit to thick for smaller watt lasers. lower watt lasers will cut thicker material but you do not want to run a machine pushing it to it's max. In the long run it is not good for the machine. So a bigger industrial laser cutter is best for cutting thicker material but that means adding a cutting path by hand to each and every part.
if you cut on the line you are removing material from the kurf so the frame ends up over all shorter and the frame is slightly thinner at the scarf.

single frame1.jpg

Dave

I’m just joining. But enjoying....!!!! What cad you use for?

for the basic cad work which in turn is used for setting up cutting files i use Auto cad 2004
these files are then exported as either DXF or DWG files and are used in Fusion 360 or sketchup to create STL files for 3D modeling and rendering and also for 3d printing.

a question came up how are you running Auto Cad 2004 it is a 32 bit program and will not run on windows10 and if you have an older windows than how do you run newer programs like Fusion360 which run off a 64bit OS?
well seeing it explains it
off to the left is computer system 16 bit windows 2000 that runs a plotter you don't see it here then to the left is an OS windows 10 pro 64 bit which is connected to the internet because Fusion360 and Sketchup are cloud based programs and require being on line this also does 3D rendering. Next in line is a laptop this is where i talk to all of you, if it goes wacky i nuke it and clean it up and start over. To the right of the laptop is a high end graphic computer sitting down at the right it is running windows 7 pro 32 bit it runs Auto CAD 2004 and older versions of graphic programs and photoshop. This is off line so it does not catch a virus or auto updates, it is a stable running system as is. under the laptop is another computer running windows 7 home version 32 bit connected to the white monitor to the far right. It is a library with 2 terabyte drives and backups of programs. Each one of these systems also have external hard drives backing them up.

DSCN2273.jpg

DAVEI HOPE IN MY LIFETIME, WOW EXPLANATIONS AND HOW TOs MEAN ABSOLUTLY GREEK to ME AND I WOULD PROBALLY UNDERSTAN D GREEK BETTER, BUT, BUT THE OUTCOME I CAN SURE SEE BOY CAN I SEE IT. WOW. DON

actually I kept all my older computers and as my kids went from desktop to laptop I got their outdated computers. Then from motherboards to hard drives and parts from salvaged computers I built a system over time that can handle most anything I can even read a 20 year old 5 1/4 disk.

DAVE WHAT CAN YOU NOT DO AMAZING, JUST AMAZING IN YOUR IDEAS AND INVENTENESS, JUST FAR AHEAD OF SO MANY, STAY SAFE AND GOD BLESS.Don night for me

Your tech is almost as old as I am. But I like your theory which seems to be if it ain’t broke don’t update or fix it. It works for me on some old units I have.

Now where is that hard drive for my Commodore 64!!

Now where is that hard drive for my Commodore 64!!

now that is funny actually I had one it was my first computer with a cassette tape if I remember correctly.
I use to sit there for hours typing in the code for games like rat race.
I got tried of computer crashing and loosing all my programs and data. Then old computers would not run new software nothing was on CD anymore it was a nightmare.
so I got this idea why not link computers together to cover ALL old and new software if one crashed it is only a part of the system and everything does not crash. Plus with these older computers you use to get a set of recovery CDs which I used to reinstall older versions of OS

what I would like to have done is to network all these together but for reasons unknown networking is not an option. So I am thinking something like a hub or server where I can plug all the computers in and they can talk to one another.

I like your theory which seems to be if it ain’t broke don’t update or fix it.

AutoCad 2004 works just fine and does everything I need to do there is really no need to junk it and pay a yearly hostage fee just to use a newer version. Same with the graphic programs if your not working in a commercial environment there is no need to keep up dating software.

ok after four evenings sitting at the computers while the wife sits in front of the TV doing craft things I finished the 21 frame. The black frames are the double ones and the magenta frames are the single ones. I needed all the frame drawings done so i can now move on to the decks. You can not lay out the decks without the frame shapes. There is still the long job of breaking the frames down and setting them up for laser cutting.

frame set.JPG

drawing sometimes gets so mind numbing doing the same things over and over so I thought hum lets try a short video of a frame. This is a test so anyone who can play a MP4 file will be able to view the 3D model from any angle and even walk into the cabin and stand on the stern balcony.
so over to computer 1

just imagine you zooming in and standing in the cabin looking out of the stern windows yes we have the technology to do that.
View attachment frame bevel animation.mp4

Hello Dave a very nice presentation, you have my head spinning, and it just may stir up some of the cob webs that have formed. You make it all seam, so easy. You have given me quite a few ideas in solving my delimit with the sills for the Badges on my Oliver Cromwell, Thanks. I will now go back and see if this solved my little problem. I find it much nicer to solve my problems this way rather than butcher tons of wood. Thanks again.
Regards Lawrence

there are two ways to address a building project one is as a kit or semi-kit the other is scratch building. The final goal for the frames is to create a laser cutting file that looks like this. all the frame parts are pre cut and i would say all a builder has to do is put them together, that is easier said than done and when we get to it i will show the method. In the past building the frames could be done with building a blank but because of the weight of framing stock it gets a little expensive for shipping and the blank method does waste wood. If you source the wood locally that eliminates shipping costs and if your not using expensive exotic wood the waste comes down to so what.
Doing it this way by hand adds a lot of problems and you have to have some skills to accomplish it. These parts are precision cut and will drop on to a drawing exactly so you can line them up.

blank13.jpg

method number 2 the scratch building what? these are plastic containers and plastic product packaging. Yes they are and what i do is use them for pattern making. you see the strips on the table, i cut them into one inch wide strips.

blank0.jpg

if your starting out with nothing but a frame drawing you have to lay out your blanks just like you see here. Oh! now you see why using plastic containers, you can see the frame.

blank1.jpg

Accuracy is important at this stage of the planning see those arrow lines ? draw a line where the 2 strips overlap corner to corner.

blank2.jpg

knowing the angle of the blanks you can cut on your line.

blank3.jpg

this will be a double frame so you have to create a set of blanks for both parts of the frame. notice the position of the second joint between blanks it falls in the center of the blank on the other half. Now all the joints will stagger like a brick wall.

blank4.jpg

Last edited:
One frame blank pattern can be used for multiple frames if you use wider stock you can extend the use of the same set of blank patterns

oh my lunch just arrived
break time be back in a little while

once you have the patterns it is time to cut wood. for laser cut parts sheet stock is used and it can be up to 3 inches wide and 30 inches long. Problem encountered with this is a big difference between the outside and the inside of a house. Outside it can be 40 inside it is 72 and dry a 3 inch wide sheet will cup and or warp as soon as you bring it indoors narrower the sheet the less chance it will warp. This is why i cut the wood into 1 inch wide strips.

blank5.jpg

marking out the blanks on your wood.

blank6.jpg

once cut out roughly the ends are sanded to the line.

blank7.jpg

Last edited:
Back