Cad design Alfred stern cad designing

looking at the overall shape it does look odd so i went back to Hahn's drawing

the dotted line and the tinted area is dead on traced from the original so the shape as a whole is correct. I do have the original admiralty drawings, Hahn's working drawings and tracings and his final modeling plans so i can go backwards to follow his steps.

img019s.jpg

@Brian077 Are you sure the picture in your post #256 is Hahn's model? To me the section you refer to looks very different from other pictures posted here and there. For example:
5190-jpg.168275

to the left is Hahn's model of the Alfred to the right is the one Brian posted it is clear the one on the right is not the Hahn model. It is a model of the Alfred but not by Harold Hahn. Compare the figure and the vine not even close to a match.

now i see what Brian sees the mid section looks different in the two models.

it's because it is the same ship built from scratch by two different builders. No two scratch built models or for that matter the actual ships will end up exactly the same even when built from the same plans. To produce a reproduction of an original piece of art you need a computer, CAD software, 3D modeling skills, state of the art fabrication and lots of time.

i have all the drawing Harold did and i can see he is extremely accurate in his work. So i suggest use the Hahn drawings as a guide.

quarter gally.jpg

Dave,
I thought I copied the photo from the Harold Hahn thread about him.
Perhaps its a different angle and camera that makes it look different. Now you point it out, I can see it looks like the model under construction and not complete.

Dave,
I thought I copied the photo from the Harold Hahn thread about him.
Perhaps its a different angle and camera that makes it look different. Now you point it out, I can see it looks like the model under construction and not complete.

could have been in the Hahn thread i don't think it is angle and camera that make it look different i think it is totally 2 different models. the figure is different and the vines even the pillars are different

back to the drawing board as they say

there were a few flaws that showed up when the 2D CAD drawing was modeled in 3D

first the foot of frame Z did not quite fit into the deadwood step

alfred stern 9 21i.JPG

that was fixed so it now looks like this

11 22 20a.JPG

next error was the transom pieces did not line up with the inside of the stern post

alfred stern 9 21j.JPG

that was taken care of so now the back edge of the transom pieces line up with the inside of the stern post

11 22 b.JPG

problem with the location of the wing transom not sitting on the fashion timber and notching into frame Z

alfred stern 9 21k.jpg

fixed it

11 22 c.JPG

with all the little errors corrected time to install the stern timbers

here are some progress images of the 3D modeling of the Alfred stern what is nice about 3d modeling is you can view the structure from any angle, you can look into the stern windows from the outside looking in or from the inside looking out.

Last edited:
This model would be a great addition to the model ship community, instead of another Victory kit.
It is tough to disagree, Mon Amie from a model-maker perspective! However, from a kit manufacturer...I don't think so. How many people have heard about Alfred ship versus Victory ship? If you would be a manufacturer, would you spend thousands of dollars for design\manufacture and don't have revenues from sales?

Back